More Changes at Disney Springs UPDATE 8/23 4Rivers Opens

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/07/17/disney-springs-has-tons-of-new-stuff-but-some-of-the-biggest-additions-are-yet-to-open

Disney Springs has tons of new stuff, but some of the biggest additions are yet to open

Disney Springs has seen dozens of new shops and restaurants open as part of the massive update to the former Downtown Disney complex. The crowds have discovered all the new offerings ranging from new retail shops, to new themed dining experiences, to a complete overhaul to the World of Disney store, but some of the biggest additions have yet to open. 

At least five major new additions are still in the works for the shopping district with various smaller ones, including a reimagining of the Basin store, currently in the works. 

The first of the five additions to open will be the Chicken Guy counter service restaurant on the ground floor of the Planet Hollywood Observatory. The location, tucked in beside the Planet Hollywood retail shop, was initially rumored to be a burger joint but is now focused on fried chicken, a signature item on the Planet Hollywood menu. Hiring is already underway for the new fried chicken fast-casual concept that will include made-to-order sandwiches, salads, wraps, and soups. 

Just across the pathway from Chicken Guy will be another new restaurant, though this one will be notably finer dining. The Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill will be the second Wolfgang Puck restaurant for Disney Springs after the, now closed and extremely dated, Wolfgang Puck Café in the West Side district. The new Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill has moved from the West Side to the newly created Town Center section and has shed the 1990’s cartoon-like aesthetic for a sleek, California inspired modern design similar to the Wolfgang Puck Bar & Brill in L.A.

The former Wolfgang Puck Café location was leveled entirely and, in its place, another new restaurant is rising. This waterfront site will be the sixth location for Jaleo by Chef José Andrés and the first in the southern U.S. The multi-level tapas-focused restaurant will be the largest and, according to the restaurant's official website, the most spectacular Jaleo yet. Jaleo should open this fall in its brand new glass and metal clad building. 

Caddy-corner to Jaleo is what will be the most substantial addition yet to open at Disney Springs. According to the Disney Parks Blog, the new NBA Experience will include “immersive experiences, a retail store and an adjacent restaurant” in a high-tech venue that draws inspiration from NBA arenas around the nation. Slated to open summer of 2019, the NBA Experience replaces the now-closed DisneyQuest, but like DisneyQuest, this attraction will include interactive games alongside the new restaurant and retail shop. 

The final new addition to Disney Springs is an original show at the Cirque du Soleil location next to the new NBA Experience. No details on what the new show will be or when it will open have been shared, but late last year Cirque did confirm the new show will focus Disney's animated films. The show will be a collaboration between Cirque du Soleil and Disney. (Now that sounds interesting!)

With the new show still likely a year or more away some have speculated that a temporary show might fill the live entertainment demand in the meantime. According to WDW News Today, the original plan was to open the touring show this summer, but parking concerns pushed it back until this upcoming spring after the third parking garage, currently under construction, opens. In the same blog post, WDW News Today points to Luzia as the potential temporary show headed to Disney Springs. The Mexican culture-inspired touring show has no scheduled shows after December 23. Currently, Luzia uses a giant whimsical looking circus tent for its shows. The tent might be used in Orlando allowing for extensive remodeling on the current Cirque Du Soleil theater while still meeting the demand for the show in Orlando. 

According to WDW News Today, Luzia should open at Disney Springs sometime in the spring of 2019.

Past the five additions that have been confirmed other additions to the Disney Springs area includes a new hotel tower at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista on Hotel Boulevard, for which new public documents were just posted on Orange County’s website despite no announcements from any groups involved, and a rumored overhaul to other pre-existing establishments, including both Bongo’s and the Rainforest Café. 

There’s plenty of new things to check out already at Disney Springs, but the plan looks like Disney wants to keep that fact alive for years to come.

I was just at Disney Springs the night before last, and I saw the construction walls for the new Wolfgang Puck location, and the size of the Jaleo and NBA buildings.  I honestly can't believe how much has already been built, and how much is about to be added.  But, you know what else I saw on a Monday night?  Huge crowds of people. Like it was a holiday or something. But, it was a Monday night.  And most of them had shopping bags. And the bars and restaurants all had customers in them.  I thought Disney Springs was a huge mistake.  But, it's just another thing that I was dead wrong about.

TCD

26 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I was just at Disney Springs the night before last, and I saw the construction walls for the new Wolfgang Puck location, and the size of the Jaleo and NBA buildings.  I honestly can't believe how much has already been built, and how much is about to be added.  But, you know what else I saw on a Monday night?  Huge crowds of people. Like it was a holiday or something. But, it was a Monday night.  And most of them had shopping bags. And the bars and restaurants all had customers in them.  I thought Disney Springs was a huge mistake.  But, it's just another thing that I was dead wrong about.

TCD

We drove by DS on I-4 Sunday and saw how far along the next garage is.  Those garages are a far cry from the old parking lots where you circled endlessly trying to find a spot.

I'm glad that Disney has another hit on their hands, but because it's so crowded that's just another reason I will steer clear of the place.  We went over there about a year ago, it was so mobbed we fought our way from the boat landing (which had a huge line of people trying to leave) over to the bus depot and left. I think we went in the Mis-Matched shop and that was it.

It was almost as crowded at the premium Outlet Mall on Vineland!

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

It helps that the economy is strong and people have some disposable income again. Disney lucked out with the timing of the opening and a rebound in consumer spending.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:35 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

...you know what else I saw on a Monday night?  Huge crowds of people. Like it was a holiday or something. But, it was a Monday night.  And most of them had shopping bags. And the bars and restaurants all had customers in them.  I thought Disney Springs was a huge mistake.  But, it's just another thing that I was dead wrong about.

TCD

We took my nephew there the Saturday evening after Thanksgiving to go bowling (yes bowling, and it was super fun!) and I have never ever seen so many people there ever - and we once made the ridiculous decision to go on Black Friday.  😶

Granted holiday weekend but like TCD saw, most people were carrying shopping bags, the stores and restaurants were jam packed (and it was only around 6pm) and you had to do the "theme park shuffle" to get around - you know, like after the fireworks when you're trying to get out of the park.  

Guy Fieri is opening a new restaurant in Disney Springs

The original article didn't say who was behind the Chicken Guy restaurant, now we know....

It seems the Mayor of Flavortown liked Orlando so much when he came to visit to tape Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives last year that he's planning to make a permanent mark in Disney Springs.

Today, the flame-fringed Fieri announced a new chicken tenders spot called "Chicken Guy!" in partnership with Planet Hollywood owner Robert Earl. 

Fieri previously partnered with Earl to revamp the menu at Planet Hollywood, bringing those burgers crowned with mac & cheese to the iconic globe restaurant.

Chicken Guy!'s menu will feature chicken tenders (brined in lemon juice, pickle brine and buttermilk) either grilled or fried and served in sandwiches, as skewers or atop a salad, plus a bunch of sauces for dipping. 

Sides like fried pickles, slaw and mac & cheese are on deck, and for sweet-toothed guests, two "Flavortown Frozen Treats" will be offered — a cup of triple chocolate and double mint ice cream, or vanilla soft serve topped with Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Apple Jacks cereal.

10 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I've still yet to hear anything good about the revamped Planet Hollywood menu.  Has anyone been?

We haven't been to Planet Hollywood since before the remodel. We weren't impressed with the food then and felt after seeing it once for the memorabilia there was no reason to go back. From the reviews I've seen Fieri's restaurants they generally come off as ho hum to not very good so I would be surprised if Planet Hollywood or Chicken Guy would be any different. Based on this we still see no reason to go back.

The real test for Chicken Guy will be if their fried pickles come from a bag in the freezer of if they make their own from scratch. We have two local pubs that make their own and there is no comparison to those of the chains that buy theirs ready to cook.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

The real test for Chicken Guy will be if their fried pickles come from a bag in the freezer of if they make their own from scratch. 

Agreed!  Nothing like a fresh made fried pickle.  🙂

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

Everything on the menu at Chick fil A is under $7 too.  

And they have waffle fries.

This is a FL based restaurant that has gained quite a following.  

What will be interesting is like Chik-Fil-A, Mr. Rivers believes Sunday is the Lords Day, and his restaurants are closed.  Wonder if Disney will honor his values and allow the truck to be closed on Sunday?  He does say in his statement "first ever daily offering at Disney Springs....."

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/08/06/4-rivers-will-debut-a-new-food-truck-in-disney-springs-and-it-sells-a-taco-cone

4 Rivers will debut a new food truck in Disney Springs, and it sells a 'Taco Cone'

Posted By Colin Wolf on Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 4:21 pm

PHOTO VIA 4 RIVERS
  • Photo via 4 Rivers

It was only a matter of time before a 4 Rivers Smokehouse location opened at a Disney property. 

Announced today, 4 Rivers will launch a new specialty food truck in Disney Springs. Though no exact opening date has been issued, the 4R Cantina Barbacoa Food Truck will debut in the Marketplace sometime in late August. 

As the name suggests, the new outpost will include barbacoa-style dishes like a "Taco Cone" and burrito bowls filled with choice of meats such such as "Brisket Barbacoa" and "Pork Sofrito," said the company in a statement.  

"It’s an honor to open the 4R Cantina Barbacoa Food Truck at Disney Springs in the company of so many talented chefs and award-winning restaurants,” said John Rivers, 4R Restaurant Group Founder and CEO in a statement. "Our first-ever daily 4R offering at Disney Springs will provide an opportunity for tourists to savor an authentic local brand. It will also give Floridians who know and love our food an all-new 4R experience and chance to enjoy dishes that are not currently available at any of our 4 Rivers Smokehouses."

The new truck will also offer vegetarian options like a "Squash Blossom Burrito." 

The 4R Taco Cone. - PHOTO VIA 4 RIVERS
  • Photo via 4 Rivers
  • The 4R Taco Cone.

Well some sort of Dole Whip

From Disney Parks Blog

gfdhjg486987031-624x351.jpg

Need some suggestions on what to do? Start with a Pineapple Soft Serve from Marketplace Snacks (pictured above), then read on for my top picks that offer something for everyone:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/08/enjoy-your-last-hurrah-of-summer-at-disney-springs/

The new 4 Rivers food truck opens today in Disney Springs

The new specialty truck is located in the Marketplace, between World of Disney and Ghirardelli. 

Unlike other 4 Rivers locations, this outpost will be open seven days a week, even Sunday. 

That is a shocker since he shuts down all of his other sites on Sundays.. The Lords Day.

I wouldn't imagine Disney would have made the deal if he was going to be closed Sundays - weekends are the busiest days at Disney Springs.

I do like that they put this truck in the Marketplace. Most times we've been there the trucks were all down on the West Side.  I'll be waiting with baited breath for a first hand review/photos from a Fiend on the Scene™.  😛

9 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I wouldn't imagine Disney would have made the deal if he was going to be closed Sundays - weekends are the busiest days at Disney Springs.

I do like that they put this truck in the Marketplace. Most times we've been there the trucks were all down on the West Side.  I'll be waiting with baited breath for a first hand review/photos from a Fiend on the Scene™.  😛

I'm wondering if Disney workers will be staffing the truck and just using his 4Rivers name, ingredients, and recipes

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I'm wondering if Disney workers will be staffing the truck and just using his 4Rivers name, ingredients, and recipes

I'd be surprised but I suppose it's possible.

I don't know how that works when Disney does a partnership like that. The Levy chain  owns a few restaurants on property - are those Levy employees who work there or Disney's or some combination of both?

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'd be surprised but I suppose it's possible.

I don't know how that works when Disney does a partnership like that. The Levy chain  owns a few restaurants on property - are those Levy employees who work there or Disney's or some combination of both?

Maybe he's got employees that aren't religious and don't mind working on Sundays.

I know during football season their to go lines are backed up out the doors on Saturday nights getting food ahead of time for Sunday parties.