Thanks to Queen Snarky for taking the time to grab these pics in between Dole Whips.

"The partial and full loops are being converted from Coquina to gravel. This is site 1501 in the partial loop. It has the conversion completed. We will be updating the pictures on the app to show the conversions."

13 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I hate coquina, but for 47 years it has worked.  Perhaps gravel will allow for better water runoff or absorption.  but won't it kind of suck for tents?

9 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

and feet.....😱

I agree.  Can tent stakes even hold in gravel like that? And won't it tear up a tent floor?

My kids used to go barefoot around the site, and even dig with shovels and pails in the coquina.  This gravel is not kid friendly.  Or pet friendly.

TCD

11 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

My kids used to go barefoot around the site, and even dig with shovels and pails in the coquina.  This gravel is not kid friendly.  Or pet friendly.

TCD

The full hook up sites at Grayton Beach State Park are made completely of this small limerock gravel.  W actually loves it, it's super easy to dig in and then smooth back over, and it's great for playing trucks.  Plus it doesn't stick to him so there's not tracking it in the house.  It's not the greatest for walking barefoot on but I have done it at Grayton.

The only problem I see is for tent campers.  For RVers I think this is an improvement.

WBI

The state park we go to most often has pea gravel for the tent sites. It is about 4" deep so if you are using an 8 or 10 inch stake you get plenty of grip. Once you have a ground cloth down and if you use a sleeping pad I think it would be pretty comfortable. Definitely better than the tree roots I always seemed to find in our old tenting days. 

On 7/20/2018 at 1:46 PM, keith_h said:

How about a sample pic for those of us here on the site?

You should be able to play the slideshow from here, otherwise we'll have to wait for Queen Snarky to stop having fun and upload some static pics when she gets home.  

On 7/20/2018 at 2:15 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

I agree.  Can tent stakes even hold in gravel like that? And won't it tear up a tent floor?

TCD

Yeah, I'm on the fence. I hate tracking coquina all over the place - pretty sure even with 2 mats and rugs in and out of the camper, and sweeping regularly, there's still some in a corner of the camper somewhere.  But the dogs aren't going to be fans of gravel, which means we're still going to end up covering the pad with a spare mat.

I'm thinking if I'm tenting I'm going to put a double thick tarp or mat down under to prevent poking holes in it. Not sure what it's going to mean for trying to stake anything down.  Might depend on how thick a layer they put down.  If there's still sand under there not too far down, it might not be a problem.

Any volunteers to go try and put up a tent in the 1500 loop and report back?  😎

On 7/23/2018 at 8:14 PM, YENSIDCAMPER said:

I am sure if I look closely there is still coquina in our camper somewhere.  I hate the stuff really, but it always brings a smile to face when I see a little bit of it.  It brings back memories of a happy place.

Since we usually stay in 300 (aka Cypress Knee Circle), it's the stray coquina and the random bits of Cypress we find in every nook and cranny of the truck.