We went to Spain! aka Another Non-Disney Trip

Well really just the Catalonia region...

Hey ya'll is anyone interested in hearing or watching about our recent trip to Barcelona?  The reason I found those two previous older videos is I've been busy working on some new ones from our trip.

A little backstory.  We're basically obsessed with travel, Disney travel, and just any travel in general.  Because of that I'm always on the look out for good flight deals, and over the last year there's been lots of super cheap deals popping up, including some to Europe.  Add this to the rise of popularity of vloggers like the Bucketlist Family and we were wanting to travel big time.  So one day sitting at work a super deal pops up, under $500 per person flights to Spain from Houston over the summer months!  I send out an alert to Lisa and my mom, we talk but don't commit, that night I check the flights and they are gone, dang we missed it.  We talk more over the next few days and decided that the next time a deal pops up for the summer we're jumping on it, my mom included.  I should add that these super flight deals to Europe don't usually include the summer months so this was pretty rare.

Well guess what happens a week or two later while camping in Fredricksburg?  Delta has the same sale again, and next thing you know I've bought tickets for $499 a person, Houston to Barcelona with one stop in Atlanta and we're bringing the kids and grammy!

Next the only things left to do was everything else, lol.  Originally we planned on touring Spain, I wanted to run with the bulls, Lisa wanted to go to Lisbon, basically we had lots of ideas.  In the end we decided to spend the whole trip in Barcelona.  The more we researched the main things we wanted to do were there and with kids we figured the less travel the better.

So after months of anticipation and planning we flew to Barcelona on July 1st and now I'm here to tell you about in video form.

I won't leave you hanging though, we had a great time, the kids traveled great, we saw a ton and we loved the food!

Here's the first video from the trip!

WBI

17 minutes ago, slices said:

Wow, that's a good price for flights to Europe over the Summer.  Looks like you had a good time. Last time I was that way must have been about 20 years ago.

It was a super deal for flights to Europe!

We had a great time, it had been 8 years since our last Europe trip, a lot has changed in our family since then.

WBI

I love long flights.  I might be weird, but I like airplane food, especially on European airlines.  Lufthansa has really good food, and the free flowing wine isn't bad either.  I just like the little trays with the various compartments, and exploring the unusual options you see like different brands of butter, sauces and such.  Then again, my wife laughs at me because I like hospital food too.  When she was in each time we had a baby, I was always asking her "you gonna eat that?".  LOL>  

Oh, and my sister says that Spain is her favorite place to visit.  She travels pretty extensively and she just loves it there.  

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I love long flights.  I might be weird, but I like airplane food, especially on European airlines.  Lufthansa has really good food, and the free flowing wine isn't bad either.  I just like the little trays with the various compartments, and exploring the unusual options you see like different brands of butter, sauces and such.  Then again, my wife laughs at me because I like hospital food too.  When she was in each time we had a baby, I was always asking her "you gonna eat that?".  LOL>  

Oh, and my sister says that Spain is her favorite place to visit.  She travels pretty extensively and she just loves it there.  

I like the long flights too, these were 8.5hrs on the way there and 9.5 hrs on the way home.  I didn't sleep a wink on either one.  I too like the food on international flights, even though we were on Delta the food and snacks were actually pretty good and tons of variety, not to mention the free booze. 🙂

We had heard similar things about Spain, and we really liked Barcelona and the coast, especially the food.  The food was all reasonably priced compared to other countries, we only had one disappointing meal, we think it had become famous so they marked up their prices and the price didn't reflect the quality.

WBI

16 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

That's a beautiful cathedral.  Can you imagine the construction on that...considering it was built in the 1300's!  They didn't exactly have cranes to work with.

Did you see that church that's been under construction forever?  Is that also in Barcelona?  That church has always fascinated me.  

I know that's what mind boggling about all the old structures in Europe and the old world, they built that stuff mostly by hand!  Of course they also built on some of them for 50 years or more but still its incredible.

There was another cathedral in this area that was built by the common workers so they would have their own place to worship.  That was really impressive to think that they built it on their own and mostly on their days off.

Yes we did go to Sagrada Familia on our first full day, it was unbelievable.  The size of it is hard to grasp until you are standing inside looking up at the huge columns.  And the biggest spiral isn't even built yet.  They started construction in 1882 and think they'll have it finished in 2032, that's only 150 years total, lol.  I like how they finance it with visitor entrance fees though, no public money or donations, of course that still gives them a construction budget of $28 million dollars a year, not too bad.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:55 AM, WannaBeImagineer said:

Here's our last full day in Barcelona, we took a train out of town to see a monastery built high up on a mountain.

Watching your kids makes me smile.  Thanks for sharing these videos with us.  the train rides look like fun.