Disney announces a new ban on plastic straws across locations worldwide

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/07/26/disney-announces-a-new-ban-on-plastic-straws-across-locations-worldwide

Today, Disney announced plans to ban all single-use plastic straws and stirs at all company owned and operated locations by mid 2019.

In a statement sent this morning, the company says that more than 175 million straws and 13 million stirrers will be eliminated annually, according to Disney. 

Over the next several years, the company also plans to transition to refillable in-room amenities within their hotels and cruise ships, which will reduce plastic in guest rooms up to 80 percent, says Disney. It will also reduce the amount of plastic shopping bags on the cruise ships and will instead offer reusable bags at a "nominal" price. Disney will also eliminate polystyrene cups across its owned and operated businesses worldwide. 

“Eliminating plastic straws and other plastic items are meaningful steps in our long-standing commitment to environmental stewardship,” said Bob Chapek, Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Consumer Products. “These new global efforts help reduce our environmental footprint, and advance our long-term sustainability goals.

In 2017, the company reduced its net greenhouse gas by 41 percent and deflected almost 50 percent of waste from landfills and incineration. This effort is in part with Disney's long-term goal of releasing a net zero greenhouse gas emissions and zero waste, as well as working towards water conservation.

Back in June, SeaWorld also initiated a ban on plastic straws and shopping bags,  just this month. 

2 minutes ago, Beckers said:

How about elimination of the plastic junk toys they sell 😂

Ain't that the truth.  How many cargo ships full of Disney crap come over from China every year?  And beyond the actual crap they sell, what about all the plastic and cardboard the toys are packaged in?  How many of you parents have cursed the Mouse on Christmas morning when your kid wants to play with the new toy, but it takes you 20 minutes to free it from its cocoon of plastic, which then goes into a huge trash bag with all the other plastic and cardboard from the assorted Barbies, Fisher Price toys, and Disney princess garbage?  I get the straw thing, but that seems small compared to all the packaging trash from those things, not to mention Amazon.   

3 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

...seems small compared to all the packaging trash from those things, not to mention Amazon.   

Amazon offers some products with the option of skipping the packaging (I forget how they word it) but it doesn't seem like a lot of things. I opt for it every time it's offered.  Beats the bejinkies out of filling up my recycling bin with useless packaging.

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Ain't that the truth.  How many cargo ships full of Disney crap come over from China every year?  And beyond the actual crap they sell, what about all the plastic and cardboard the toys are packaged in?  How many of you parents have cursed the Mouse on Christmas morning when your kid wants to play with the new toy, but it takes you 20 minutes to free it from its cocoon of plastic, which then goes into a huge trash bag with all the other plastic and cardboard from the assorted Barbies, Fisher Price toys, and Disney princess garbage?  I get the straw thing, but that seems small compared to all the packaging trash from those things, not to mention Amazon.   

I totally agree with all of this.

All of the restaurants in Seaside, FL tried to do this last year, they said no more plastic straws and started using paper ones.  Sounds great for the turtles and litter problem, BUT tourists hated it.  Paper straws are horrible, especially in sodas or sipping a mojito on a hot day.  We started noticing people pulling plastic straws out of bags when they ordered a drink, lol.  Straws are super cheap at the store so it didn't really eliminate the problem.  I get the push to eliminate plastic, but they need better straws first.  

By the way this past spring plastic straws were back at Seaside,I'm not sure how long the push lasted but it was definitely over at the restaurants we visited.

WBI

It's very true that plastic straws, 6 pack rings, stirrers, and plastic/foam cups are a drop in the bucket compared to a lot of other plastic waste.

But those items are more apt to just be tossed on the wayside (or into a waterway) when someone is done with them then toy or electronics packaging.

I'm guessing that's the reasoning behind the straw push.

And on a side note, we are now being overrun with used plastic water and soda bottles because China no longer wants them.

2 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Face it, dropping straws is the trendy thing to do now. And if Disney starts, everyone is probably going to follow. 

And soon coming to every Disney store, park, and resort will be the Official Disney stainless steel straw complete with the Mickey Head logo ( engraved names optional at an extra fee).

Someone on a different Disney FB page has already started making stainless steel straw pouches out of Disney themed material.

And for the last couple of months a St. Pete store has been selling leather pouches with 3 different type of stainless straws and a cleaning brush.

On 7/26/2018 at 5:53 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

I know for some of my clients with special needs family members a straw is a necessity for them to be able to drink. We had just picked up some metal ones for our stainless steel travel mugs anyway so I will just bring them along. 

This is a fact of life for us.  We already carry straws for the Animal Kingdom because the paper straws do not meet my guy's needs.  I guess we will carry straws for the other parks now, too.

Hmmm...interesting.  I'm all for helping the environment, but I will admit that I do not like paper straws.  I'll try and remember to shove a few plastic straws in our bags.  We rarely buy drinks out (usually just drink the water we've brought), but it's good to know.

On 7/26/2018 at 11:32 AM, DaveInTN said:

Good grief, yes!!

What about the plastic bottles of water?  I guess there is too much profit there.  I read that plastic straws amount to .03% (yes .03% not 3%) of all plastic food related waste in the US.  On top of that, 5 Asian countries dump more plastic in the ocean than all other countries combined.  So I wonder what the impact of a straw ban will be.