Disney announces a new ban on plastic straws across locations worldwide

On 7/28/2018 at 4:47 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

Part of it is though the straws are to thin of a plastic to be recycled. They gum up the machines and break them. 

The bottles are made with a different thickness and shred for recycling. 

True.  But the amount of plastic from bottles that end up in a landfill instead of recycling dwarfs the amount of plastic from straws.  Not saying a different material for straws isn't warranted, but noticing how the profit factor also drives decisions; i.e. eliminate the cost of straws, versus losing the profit of selling bottled water.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine from college who is disabled and advocates for people with disabilities shared this article on her Facebook page today. She said that this morning she went out to eat and the restaurant did not have straws. She advocated and explained to the waitress why to the waitress why someone like herself needed a straw to be able to enjoy a beverage. The restaurant owner listened and told her that they would get some to furnish upon request. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/11/627773979/why-people-with-disabilities-want-bans-on-plastic-straws-to-be-more-flexible

Last year I got a Double Chocolate Chip Frappachino from Starbucks. I was so excited to enjoy my drink while my husband took all the kids on a ride. That enjoyment came to an end with the paper straw. Within minutes it was soggy and I couldn't suck up the yumminess. Major fail, decided I would always carry my reusable straw after that.

What's interesting, is that there is no ban or up-sell on shopping bags at the Parks or Character Warehouses.

I went to one of the warehouses, and they were going to give me a bag to carry the lanyard I purchased.  I told them I would put it in my daughters bag.

And most of the bags at the warehouse shops are big and bigger.  I never was given any of the real small bags you sometimes see in the parks.

13 hours ago, shaffecv said:

What about all the plastic baggies used to cover the candy apples and rice crispy treats on a stick. Maybe wax paper is in the near future for that application.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

What's interesting, is that there is no ban or up-sell on shopping bags at the Parks or Character Warehouses.

I went to one of the warehouses, and they were going to give me a bag to carry the lanyard I purchased.  I told them I would put it in my daughters bag.

And most of the bags at the warehouse shops are big and bigger.  I never was given any of the real small bags you sometimes see in the parks.

Come on we all know plastic straws are the gateway to hardcore plastics like grocery bags and blister packs.

59 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Come on we all know plastic straws are the gateway to hardcore plastics like grocery bags and blister packs.

You mean sharp, infuriating, packages of doom?

Especially when you are trying to get it open to quiet a screaming 3 year old and all you have is your teeth or a spork (because sharp objects are banned for your safety at WDW) to open it!!!!

I am not even close to being a tree hugging hippie.  But after seeing those floating masses of plastic in the ocean, I've made decisions that I previously hadn't considered. Does it make a big difference in the scope of things, nope. But it's a personal choice to do it.  I also appreciate restaurants trying to do the right thing. If the public punishes them, they will have to revert back based on the need for their business to be profitable. We live in a free market.  Not intending to be uncaring, but if they eliminate straws, there should be no special cases. If folks with a disability need them, they could BYOS (bring your own straw). That may also drive solutions that help us all. Change is never easy.