Cruise questions

My wife and I are taking a cruise next April. We are looking to drive down and stay a day or two before and after our cruise in a cabin. Does anyone know if we can get disney transportation to and from the fort? Also can we keep our car parked at the fort if we use their transportation? We feel safer leaving our car at the fort instead of the parking garage over at port canaveral.

16 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

My wife and I are taking a cruise next April. We are looking to drive down and stay a day or two before and after our cruise in a cabin. Does anyone know if we can get disney transportation to and from the fort? Also can we keep our car parked at the fort if we use their transportation? We feel safer leaving our car at the fort instead of the parking garage over at port canaveral.

my understanding is yes you can leave it at the Fort but we have driven over for a better arrival time than busing it. It was more affordable than taking the DCL bus. The bus is $70 per person for a round trip. 

Last time I checked to get the DCL bus you will get picked up at Wilderness Lodge not at the Fort. 

Edited: Corrected my tired math. 

10 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

my understanding is yes you can leave it at the Fort but we have driven over for a better arrival time than busing it. It was more affordable than taking the DCL bus. The bus is $70 per person each way. 

Last time I checked to get the DCL bus you will get picked up at Wilderness Lodge not at the Fort. 

I second the driving idea.  That way you get to choose when you arrive and $140 for transportation vs the parking at $17 per day (not night).

Unless of course you are taking a cruise longer than 7 nights ($136) then you would come out ahead with the Disney Transportation. 

18 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

I second the driving idea.  That way you get to choose when you arrive and $140 for transportation vs the parking at $17 per day (not night).

Unless of course you are taking a cruise longer than 7 nights ($136) then you would come out ahead with the Disney Transportation. 

That is $140 round trip per person according to Jason...  so for 2 people you're looking at $280.

I guses it would be less expensive if they hitchhiked!

Another option is the spend the night before at one of the hotels in Port Canaveral that offers the cruise package where you can park your car at the hotel while you are on the cruise. The hotel shuttle drops you off and picks you up. It comes out cheaper than the parking at the port. It is not as secure as the parking at the port, but so far we have not had any issues going that route. We did leave our fifth wheel camper at The Fort for a 4 day cruise last summer. We spent a couple of days in The Fort, then went on the cruise and spent a few more days in The Fort before heading home. 

Oh yeah, don't forget the toll road fees traveling between Disney World and Port Canaveral. But it is much cheaper to drive even with the tolls.

Thanks for the info guys. We are doing a 7 night cruise and was going to stay a few nights before and after the cruise in the cabins. If you feel the parking is secure then we may consider just driving over instead of their transportation. Just trying to get the remaining pieces of our trip booked. Just crossing my fingers that there is an AP discount on the cabins when we are there.

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 8:56 AM, Specularius said:

Another option is the spend the night before at one of the hotels in Port Canaveral that offers the cruise package where you can park your car at the hotel while you are on the cruise. The hotel shuttle drops you off and picks you up. It comes out cheaper than the parking at the port. It is not as secure as the parking at the port, but so far we have not had any issues going that route. We did leave our fifth wheel camper at The Fort for a 4 day cruise last summer. We spent a couple of days in The Fort, then went on the cruise and spent a few more days in The Fort before heading home. 

Oh yeah, don't forget the toll road fees traveling between Disney World and Port Canaveral. But it is much cheaper to drive even with the tolls.

We did the Port Canaveral stay before our cruise at a Sheraton right next Ron Jon's. Nice hotel. The parking and the shuttle was great.

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

Less than a month away. Any tips for what we should take with us? Its been 10 years since we have been on a cruise and this is our first Dosney Cruise.

Your own life jacket and survival gear.  I am never getting on a ship.

Have fun though! ;)

:lol:

15 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Your own life jacket and survival gear.  I am never getting on a ship.

Have fun though! ;)

:lol:

It was a lot of fun 10 years ago. My first cruise I was really nervous but after we left port it was great. Now planes on the other hand, i dont do them.

22 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

It was a lot of fun 10 years ago. My first cruise I was really nervous but after we left port it was great. Now planes on the other hand, i dont do them.

I need drugs, for both.

Seriously...I'm a wimp :))

If I could take a cruise, where I could always see land (and land was close), I'd be okay.  It's the wide open ocean that terrifies me (yes, I know the ships are huge and I can stay towards the center and not look outside...but I think the idea of that makes me even more anxious :lol:).

1 hour ago, rtguy007 said:

Less than a month away. Any tips for what we should take with us? Its been 10 years since we have been on a cruise and this is our first Dosney Cruise.

If you're a beer or wine drinker, you're allowed a six pack of beer or a bottle of wine per adult. Your beer will taste better than the $8 beers they sell on the ship. 

TCD

51 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you're a beer or wine drinker, you're allowed a six pack of beer or a bottle of wine per adult. Your beer will taste better than the $8 beers they sell on the ship. 

TCD

Thats good to know. Thanks for the tip there. I saw the prices on bottled water and about lost it.

Just got home from a Disney Cruise. Bring a travel mug/ large mug to get drinks from the drink machines on the upper decks. They provide small cups. Also bring your own snorkel gear if you plan on snorkeling at Castaway Cay. The rental is steep. Don't bring any towels, the ship provides all the towels you need, you just need to pack them off the ship. At Port Canaveral, they never checked how many bottles of wine we brought on board. I also recommend that you slap a luggage sticker on a case of water bottles or two, depending on how much water you drink, and turn it in with your luggage. 

55 minutes ago, Specularius said:

Just got home from a Disney Cruise. Bring a travel mug/ large mug to get drinks from the drink machines on the upper decks. They provide small cups. Also bring your own snorkel gear if you plan on snorkeling at Castaway Cay. The rental is steep. Don't bring any towels, the ship provides all the towels you need, you just need to pack them off the ship. At Port Canaveral, they never checked how many bottles of wine we brought on board. I also recommend that you slap a luggage sticker on a case of water bottles or two, depending on how much water you drink, and turn it in with your luggage. 

I used to always bring a case of bottled water in a duffle bag, but skipped that on our last cruise. We just used Yeti tumblers to fill with ice water. Those hold a lot of water, and not having bottles of water in the fridge left more room for beer. 

TCD

20 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I used to always bring a case of bottled water in a duffle bag, but skipped that on our last cruise. We just used Yeti tumblers to fill with ice water. Those hold a lot of water, and not having bottles of water in the fridge left more room for beer. 

TCD

Speaking of the last cruise...

I saw someone familiar got a repost by the official DCL Instagram feed.  That's a pretty big deal!  It was a great picture!

By the way we do the same, no bottled water, just bring yeti type cups, on DCL anyway.  On our recent Royal Caribbean cruise we had the drink package so drinks and bottled water were included.

WBI

Is there a limit to the amount of things you ca  check onboard? Can we check 2 bags, 2 cases of water, and our allowed allotment of alcohol? Are we allowed to carry on a backpack/duffle bag for things we want to keep with us like yeti cups, cosmetics, etc? Also is there a fridge in the room? I have some medication that needs to stay refridgerated and not sure how to handle that at the moment.