Sometimes You cant satisfy every last guest.

My sister has taken my autistic nephew to Disneyland 3 or 4 times and says they are always more than helpful.

ADVERTISING

A district judge in Florida had ruled previously that Disney was accommodating the autistic visitors and dismissed the claims in 2016. The autistic visitors appealed to the court in Atlanta.

RECOMMENDED: Run with Royalty: Registration opens for 2019 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Under the parks’ current program, Disney allows visitors with disabilities to get a special card giving them an “appointment time” to get on a ride after the specified time with little to no wait. The card allows them to get unlimited “appointment times” throughout the day and allows them to get on rides immediately if the wait is less than 15 minutes. Disney workers also have the discretion to hand out readmission passes to visitors with disabilities, allowing them to get back on a ride immediately.

The plaintiffs said in their lawsuit that the autistic visitors still endured virtual waits, if not physical waits, that often resulted in “meltdowns” since people with severe autism often have an inability to wait and express distress at small changes to their routines. Disney previously had allowed visitors with disabilities to go to the front of the line but changed the program in 2013 amid reports of abuse by people without disabilities. The new program for visitors with disabilities, though, disrupted set routines on the order of rides and didn’t allow autistic visitors to go on rides exactly when they wanted to, the plaintiffs said.

“It is the nature of the neurological disability that makes waiting an impossibility,” the plaintiffs had argued.

The plaintiffs said a solution would be to give disabled guests a pass guaranteeing they wouldn’t have to wait more than 15 minutes for all rides. But Disney argued that solution was no different than its previous program which was subject to abuse when nondisabled visitors would hire disabled guests to join their party so they wouldn’t have to wait.

In allowing the lawsuits to move forward, the appeals court said that the fact-finding coming out of the trials would help determine what is considered “necessary” to accommodate autistic visitors’ need for rigid routines and no waits. The judges said that Disney didn’t intentionally discriminate against the autistic visitors and that the question the district court will decide is whether Disney needs to modify its policies.

In a statement, a Disney spokeswoman said the company is reviewing the decision and evaluating what next steps to take.

“Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing an inclusive and accessible environment for all our guests,” the statement said.

Not meaning to belittle people with disabilities, but my wife said that to a lot of kids and adults Disney is overwhelming and they have meltdowns also without having a disability.

I can understand the plaintiffs wanting the best for their children and adult charges, but it seems like Disney has done a lot to accommodate them and still make it fair to others.

But then again I'm not in their shoes.

I’m sorry I don’t mean to offend anybody that has an autistic child but this lawsuit is ridiculous.

Their main argument seems to be that making the child wait disrupts their routine.

doesn’t taking them to Disney world disrupt their routine?

Doesn't giving the parents and child a return time allow them to do other things so they don’t have to wait?  Or wait they call that “virtual” wait    What the heck is a virtual wait and how does that change the child’s routine?   

And what’s their solution? Give them a pass that lets him ride any ride they want to add any time. Again ridiculous.

If sorry,  as some of you know I sustained some injuries while in the Navy which make it difficult to stand and or walk for long periods of time. I don’t feel I have a right to go on any ride anytime I want to. I’m just thankful Disney gives me a pass that makes a little easier for me to enjoy the parks.  

And if I truly offended anybody I apologize that was not my intention

I have an autistic child and I think this is ridiculous. It sounds like what they want is for the DAS to be replaced with the previous system. 

I think the DAS works well, and the systems at Universal and Seaworld pretty much work the same.  Legoland does a front of line pass for those with autism, and I don't really like it. You end up loitering at the exit so are in the way as people are coming out, and it's a problem if my some wants to do a ride twice. With DAS if he comes out of toy story mania and wants to go back on, fine I can get him a return time but he understands that means he can't use the DAS anywhere else.

I don't understand their issue.  If there is a designated time to return for a ride, then plan other activities during this "virtual wait" time.  If they do this, there will be no waiting in the eyes of the child.  Sounds like they just want to have a free run.  It is more disappointing that the courts did not throw this out.