RUMOR: Big Changes Coming to Spaceship Earth

RUMOR: Spaceship Earth at Epcot Will Be Overhauled Once Again, Changes in Post Show Already Visible

August 28, 2018
Spaceship-5-Header-990x556.jpg
As times have changed, the Spaceship Earth attraction at Epcot has changed with them. Opening in 1982, the ride received massive overhauls in 1986, 1994, and 2007, usually with the departure/addition of a corporate sponsor. With over a decade since the last reimagining and coupled with the recent departure of Siemens, Walt Disney Imagineering is ramping up for another round of changes for the park’s icon attraction.

If rumors are true, the ride inside of Spaceship Earth will see a refreshing of all scenes leading up to the Industrial Revolution portion (where newspapers are being printed as a young boy sells them steps away), with changes on a grand scale coming to every scene following that, all the way to the end of the ride. Sources also indicate that the scene in the dome at the top of the attraction where guests look back at Earth from space will be drastically reimagined utilizing the latest in projection mapping technologies.

A timeframe for these changes is unknown at this time. It is also unclear if there will be a new corporate sponsor or if Disney will be the one shelling out the money to fix Spaceship Earth as part of their ongoing overhaul of Epcot which includes a Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster, a Ratatouille ride, and much more that has yet to be formally announced.

Changes are already visible in the Project Tomorrow post show at Spaceship Earth, where new signage and lighting has been installed to replace the old.

73DC416A-A57C-4E5F-A0D7-B18ACDF967EF.jpe

All of the Siemens references in the post show are long gone, even though the ride still mentions the company.

B1C23B12-EAF7-4D00-94AE-654EC09328A1.jpe

B65BECE0-60D9-4509-BD13-88ADD2DFD972.jpe

New signs above the exhibits now break the games into 4 categories: Health, Medicine, Transportation, and Energy. It is possible that these themes will e reflected in a new Spaceship Earth attraction narrative.

7FA10572-5768-44E5-81B9-0A205C533D74.jpe

AC1EE461-4F7C-454D-8DA6-6CE842EC8328.jpe

57DBAA25-6710-4F75-98A0-170AB269342A.jpe

53724AC9-564B-4280-949D-4ED826F934C1.jpe

5A678B28-2DAE-4747-BAED-E160C0531164.jpe

6428DB95-EB79-4F21-8C87-EFC968CF7F15.jpe

F9CECF47-1E58-4D59-8828-758EA5EAB78A.jpe

Disney has yet to announce any changes coming to the attraction.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/rumor-spaceship-earth-at-epcot-will-be-overhauled-once-again-changes-in-post-show-already-visible/

13 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I hope they do make the changes. I was less than impressed with the second half of the "new" ride back in 2007.

Agreed. It's tough when real life technology flies past the "this is what the future might look like" stuff in attractions.

See "Carousel of Progress"  🙂

(BTW I had the ski boots the daughter is wearing in the last scene in 1983.)

22 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Agreed. It's tough when real life technology flies past the "this is what the future might look like" stuff in attractions.

Interesting tidbit on Carousel of Progress we heard when we took the Marceline to Main Street tour.  In the final scene of Carousel of Progress, on the bulletin board next to where the mother is programming the oven; there is a note that says, "Marty called, wants changes".  During his last visit to the Magic Kingdom, Marty Sklar was with others walking through the building discussing the state of the COP.  He wrote the note and stuck it on the bulletin board as a reminder that it needs updating.  Too bad he didn't live long enough to see it.  I didn't have the ski boots, but I did know people lucky enough to have a car phone! 😊

3 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Interesting tidbit on Carousel of Progress we heard when we took the Marceline to Main Street tour.  In the final scene of Carousel of Progress, on the bulletin board next to where the mother is programming the oven; there is a note that says, "Marty called, wants changes".  During his last visit to the Magic Kingdom, Marty Sklar was with others walking through the building discussing the state of the COP.  He wrote the note and stuck it on the bulletin board as a reminder that it needs updating.  Too bad he didn't live long enough to see it.  

Thanks for sharing that!  I'm that weirdo that keeps trying to get closeups of what's on the bulletin board to see if I can read it and that's one I've been wondering about for ages!

On 8/29/2018 at 9:50 AM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Yeah whoever would have thought the Carousel would be a historic ride back when it was created.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Carousel of Progress. I actually think they could add another theater. Now load and unload are at two seperate spots. They could make each scene just a bit longer, add an additional "scene", and put load an unload in the same place. That would help with the gap between the 40's and now 🙂

On 9/16/2018 at 8:58 AM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I love Carousel of Progress. I actually think they could add another theater. Now load and unload are at two seperate spots. They could make each scene just a bit longer, add an additional "scene", and put load an unload in the same place. That would help with the gap between the 40's and now 🙂

Love that idea!

Maybe they could also make load/unload an actual scene instead of just a curtain and a sign?  That could give them one more scene too.

My inside sources say Spaceship Earth will get new narration by Fran Drescher.