On 9/2/2018 at 9:42 AM, keith_h said:

I haven't see the  whole area with construction finished but we really liked the rework of the exit to the Fort when we were there last February. It was a lot more logical than what they had before with everyone going through the toll booths.

Agreed.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:42 AM, keith_h said:

I haven't see the  whole area with construction finished but we really liked the rework of the exit to the Fort when we were there last February. It was a lot more logical than what they had before with everyone going through the toll booths.

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) back in the 70's and early 80's I thought you stayed in the far right lane for the Fort and you by passed the toll booth.  Then they turned that lane into the bus lane.

Or my memory could just be fuzzy.

But, I remember the sign in the grass on the right as you approached the toll plaza saying there were (or weren't) campsites available that night!  And it was usually set as there were open sites.

They are still working in that area, but it was interesting to see all the cars bypassing the toll booths.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, shaffecv said:

It always was a pain to stop at the toll booths.

I mean, your almost in view of The Fort and they made you stop and explain yourself.

Last year when we came from Gainesville, my map app. brought us in Vista Blvd. It was interesting seeing all the Disney warehousing and support facilities.

We take 429 to winter garden Vineland rd every time. 

11 minutes ago, shaffecv said:

So we're headed down from PA on Black Friday. Checking in Saturday.

Straight shot down 95 this time.

How and where do you pick up 429?

Looks like a more scenic/relaxing route.

429 is off of the turnpike off of I-75. You are probably wanting 417 which you can pick up off of I-4 right after you pass Lake Monroe. You will bypass all the I-4 mess in Kissimmee and Orlando.

Like Carol said, 417 is the way you want to take from I-4 to avoid going through downtown Orlando.  It is a toll road so be prepared for that.  Not sure if you have a toll tag that works with the Florida system or not.  We are from NC but have a Florida Sunpass  that we have used for years just for this purpose. 

We used 417 last March driving home.  It was a real blessing compared to driving thru downtown Orlando.  There was some traffic slow downs near busy intersections, but by and large a much easier drive.  We will take it southbound in a few weeks.  Our toll for our Class C last year was $7.00.

Safe driving!

18 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

We take 429 to winter garden Vineland rd every time. 

18 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

That's my route of choice too.  

Ya'll like that route vs Western Way?  The last time I tried the Vineland route it was in 2011 and I remember construction and red lights, Western Way was pretty relaxing in 2015 but it felt like I was on 429 a long time.

Do you turn on Reams Rd?  Sorry I know this has been talked about a lot, just curious again.

WBI

34 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Ya'll like that route vs Western Way?  The last time I tried the Vineland route it was in 2011 and I remember construction and red lights, Western Way was pretty relaxing in 2015 but it felt like I was on 429 a long time.

Do you turn on Reams Rd?  Sorry I know this has been talked about a lot, just curious again.

WBI

Yeah, 1 less toll booth, and I think it is quicker too. We don't use Ficquette or Reams. That would only be if you wanted to come by the Contemporary and under the water bridge. Just stay on Winter Garden Vineland and enter Disney property by the construction services buildings. It is a nice 4 lane road...no construction that I know about.

1 hour ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

It's a lot better than it was in 2011.  It's primarily, if not all, 4 lane now.  Like Blake said above, go all the way to Vista and turn right into Disney property.  Other than a couple of speed bumps that are a pain with an RV, it's a quick straight shot to the Fort from there.

1 hour ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Yeah, 1 less toll booth, and I think it is quicker too. We don't use Ficquette or Reams. That would only be if you wanted to come by the Contemporary and under the water bridge. Just stay on Winter Garden Vineland and enter Disney property by the construction services buildings. It is a nice 4 lane road...no construction that I know about.

Thanks for the info!

59 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

It's a lot better than it was in 2011.  It's primarily, if not all, 4 lane now.  Like Blake said above, go all the way to Vista and turn right into Disney property.  Other than a couple of speed bumps that are a pain with an RV, it's a quick straight shot to the Fort from there.

Sounds good thanks!  I guess I'll see what time of day I'm getting to that area to choose my route.

WBI

18 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

We have always taken Western Way, then turning onto World Drive. Now that you bypass the toll booth on World Drive, that is the way we will come in on Friday.

Thanks Carol, I'm thinking I'll stick with that way on this trip also, GPS says its slightly faster but I also want to see the new MK entrance area.

1 hour ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Thanks Carol, I'm thinking I'll stick with that way on this trip also, GPS says its slightly faster but I also want to see the new MK entrance area.

Heads up- they still don't have permanent signage in place for the new Fort Wilderness access road off to the right, so DO NOT follow the signs for Magic Kingdom resorts. You want to stay in the far right lane as you approach the toll plaza. The new road is marked with a temporary flashing sign. You will turn on it before you get to the toll plaza. I was just by there on Tuesday of this week, and that was what was going on then.

TCD

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Heads up- they still don't have permanent signage in place for the new Fort Wilderness access road off to the right, so DO NOT follow the signs for Magic Kingdom resorts. You want to stay in the far right lane as you approach the toll plaza. The new road is marked with a temporary flashing sign. You will turn on it before you get to the toll plaza. I was just by there on Tuesday of this week, and that was what was going on then.

TCD

Thanks TCD!

So as I’m reading this I need to stay in the far right hand lane (beside the grass) where the buses travel (use to travel) and the exit for the Fort will be BEFORE the toll plaza. Essentially, I don’t have to go thru the toll plaza. This will be our 1st trip to the Fort in 2 weeks and I want to make sure I’m in the right lane. 

36 minutes ago, Triple S said:

So as I’m reading this I need to stay in the far right hand lane (beside the grass) where the buses travel (use to travel) and the exit for the Fort will be BEFORE the toll plaza. Essentially, I don’t have to go thru the toll plaza. This will be our 1st trip to the Fort in 2 weeks and I want to make sure I’m in the right lane. 

You got it...