The last time we were at FW was 2009. In a tent. In 1500 loop.

We are now in the preliminary stages of planning a family trip for summer 2019. We now own an A-frame pop-up camper, and our single, adult son said he would stay in a tent on our site & do his on-line computer programming job during the day instead of going into the parks.  Other family members will probably be staying in various other Disney hotels. 

So, How's the wi-fi? Is it consistent enough for someone to do work there?  I'm thinking of either 1500 or 1600, still determining if we want sewer on site. (Our camper does not have a toilet or waste tanks).  

Thanks!

Was in lot 1417 in March.  Wi-Fi was better than nothing. Occasional drops and throughput lags made roku use difficult.  Did some work via corporate vpn. Was OK, as long as you're not downloading large data sets or video calls. 

14 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

Was in lot 1417 in March.  Wi-Fi was better than nothing. Occasional drops and throughput lags made roku use difficult.  Did some work via corporate vpn. Was OK, as long as you're not downloading large data sets or video calls. 

You must have been in a bad spot there are numerous reports on FF of high reliability.

12 hours ago, caveat lector said:

I also noticed streaming wasn't very good on our last trip. We were in the 1400 loop as well near the NW corner. It was fine for web browsing and e-mail and if I was still working I could have done everything I needed to over the Fort's WiFi. In comparison to other campgrounds I've stayed at I would say it was better than most.

We spent 6 weeks in the 300 loop last fall and I worked 3 of those weeks.  There were days/times when the WiFi was quite slow - typically around 4pm every day.  A few times I switched over to my mobile hotspot because it was too slow for what I needed to do. I'm a graphic designer though, so I'm moving some good-sized files around. If you just need a reliable connection to get online, check/send email, access info., etc. and not need a ton of superfast/high bandwidth, it should be ok.

On 9/5/2018 at 12:27 PM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

We spent 6 weeks in the 300 loop last fall and I worked 3 of those weeks.  There were days/times when the WiFi was quite slow - typically around 4pm every day.  A few times I switched over to my mobile hotspot because it was too slow for what I needed to do. I'm a graphic designer though, so I'm moving some good-sized files around. If you just need a reliable connection to get online, check/send email, access info., etc. and not need a ton of superfast/high bandwidth, it should be ok.

That was my experience a couple of years ago too. General work email, Webex meetings, no issues, working with large files live on SharePoint, my Verizon MiFi did a better job. This was in 1700 loop. Just as practice though, when I'm working remotely on a wireless network, I generally just check out the file, download it to my hard drive, work it, then upload when done. Lots less bandwith required than saving to the server every few minutes.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:46 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

You must have been in a bad spot there are numerous reports on FF of high reliability.

Was on inside of loop. Maybe that was cause.  All my gear is fairly new and all had problems

Brand new shiny roku

Iphone8

Samsung galaxy table

Dell laptop

On 9/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

...Just as practice though, when I'm working remotely on a wireless network, I generally just check out the file, download it to my hard drive, work it, then upload when done. Lots less bandwith required than saving to the server every few minutes.

Yeah that's what I usually do with my design files as they tend to be pretty big.

I only had one online call when we were there and it was a little problematic - dropped out once and broke up a couple of times.  We were about halfway around 300 loop on the outside.  

On 9/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

That was my experience a couple of years ago too. General work email, Webex meetings, no issues, working with large files live on SharePoint, my Verizon MiFi did a better job. This was in 1700 loop. Just as practice though, when I'm working remotely on a wireless network, I generally just check out the file, download it to my hard drive, work it, then upload when done. Lots less bandwith required than saving to the server every few minutes.

I always down loaded source code files I was working on even when on the high speed office network. It allowed me  to work on them offline during off hours and not be disturbed for dumb stuff by management who saw I was logged in.

We were at Fort Wilderness the last week in July and first three weeks in August.  The first 3 weeks we were in site 1318 and the WiFi was terrible.  Very low signal strength.  The laptop connection was usually OK, but the iPhones and Fire TV kept dropping the connection.  We moved to the 1200 loop for our last week because they closed the 1300 for tree trimming.  The WiFi signal here was a lot better with speeds generally around 5 mbps.   

4 hours ago, North7... Jeff said:

We were at Fort Wilderness the last week in July and first three weeks in August.  The first 3 weeks we were in site 1318 and the WiFi was terrible.  Very low signal strength.  The laptop connection was usually OK, but the iPhones and Fire TV kept dropping the connection.  We moved to the 1200 loop for our last week because they closed the 1300 for tree trimming.  The WiFi signal here was a lot better with speeds generally around 5 mbps.   

1318 is our favorite site. I'm surprised the service was bad there. They were still installing the WiF network the last time we were in it and I recall the pole being across the road about 15 ft in. I wonder if it was interference from the Meadows? I use to attach to it back in the days when the loops were hardwired.