Will cast members be your parking spotter?

Hi everyone, we are checking in to The Fort on Wednesday. My wife will be arriving later than me and she is normally my parking spotter. Last time we were there I don't remember having a cast member offer us spotting assistance.  We're in a 43' 5th wheel, and I have no trouble backing up, but with all of the random obstacles there, I know having a spotter is the best way to go. I've requested the 1400 loop and the cast member I spoke to said she would request a spot near the comfort station which she says are larger spots.  Has anyone who has recently gone there know if they provide spotting assistance?

Thanks!

I helped 3 folks last time.  Its always tough to ask if they need help. Dont know if the drivervjust finished a 24 hour marathon and might be tense. Or one of those folks that seem to have a bit too much ego to accept help.

Look for the biggest RV close to your site and ask those people - campers are a helpful bunch.  🙂

DH has helped more than a few folks back in over the years. One time our neighbors asked him if he could back in their daughter's camper when she checked in later in the day.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Look for the biggest RV close to your site and ask those people - campers are a helpful bunch.  🙂

That's what I've done.  When I pulled into Watchmen Campground (Zion National), I knew that there was no way that I was going to get the rig backed into my spot (site was very nice, but the road was curvy and tight... kind-of like the loops at the Fort 😏) so I found a 5th wheel as large as ours and a man older than I (I know that doesn't necessarily mean more experienced... but I was hopeful).  

On 9/8/2018 at 8:49 AM, FT4NOW said:

Hi everyone, we are checking in to The Fort on Wednesday. My wife will be arriving later than me and she is normally my parking spotter. Last time we were there I don't remember having a cast member offer us spotting assistance.  We're in a 43' 5th wheel, and I have no trouble backing up, but with all of the random obstacles there, I know having a spotter is the best way to go. I've requested the 1400 loop and the cast member I spoke to said she would request a spot near the comfort station which she says are larger spots.  Has anyone who has recently gone there know if they provide spotting assistance?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the CM, but other campers will help her... they've always been super helpful, each of our visits.  Even helping, when we didn't ask for it.  Haha

I wouldn't trust a CM to back up a Barbie trailer into a spot in a kids playroom.  I woke up in the middle of the night once at the fort when a CM was helping a guy with a 40 foot 5er back into a 35 foot spot across from me. I went out and asked if they wanted me to pull my truck out because that was the only way they were getting into that site but the CM told me they had it under control.  A half hour later they gave up and I assume moved to another loop.

On 9/16/2018 at 7:04 AM, ftwildernessguy said:

I wouldn't trust a CM to back up a Barbie trailer into a spot in a kids playroom. 

Good point!  Unless the CM actually had a trailer or had backed up more than a few, I'd trust a fellow camper to help way more than a CM.  

At the end of the day, you (the driver) have to be responsible for backing up or pulling in, even if you have to stop, get out and look a dozen times.  I learned this lesson the hard way...

Several years ago we were maneuvering around a campground on Lake Norman in the Charlotte area.  A place where the loops are on so much of a slope and the turns so sharp that you have to pull in, back up and continue to work your way down the hill.  I was making my last sharp turn and a guy who worked for the campground was standing at the front right corner of the motorhome motioning me to pull forward.  Well, this guy motions me right into the riprap (large rocks) stacked along the bank.  It scratched the paint and gouged the front fiberglass fender just ahead of the front wheel.  Once I heard and felt it hit, I got out and asked him why he guided me into the rocks that were 5 feet in front of him... He just shrugged his shoulders and gave me a blank look.  Luckily the campground owner split the cost of the repairs, but boy did I learn my lesson!

Always get out and assess your situation before moving something as large as a camper!

33 minutes ago, Duane said:

Always get out and assess your situation before moving something as large as a camper!

Yes, and be sure you look UP.  I always have to remind my kids, if they are helping spot, to not only look for obstacles on the ground but look out for tree branches above...especially in state parks and similar places.  

I hate it when someone tries to guide me in. The only thing I want is a spotter on the blind side to be sure I don't hit anything. If I need a fresh perspective I will get out to look and no amount of someone flailing their arms will stop that. Thankfully Rene does a good job on the spotting part. She is also good at telling the park employees thanks for showing us the site and we'll take it from here. 

50 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I will just admit it. I am a terrible at spotting. 

So was Grandma... We had a "marriage saving" deal.   She stayed in the passenger seat or when I hooked up at home, in the house.:ROFLMAO-1:

I ended up being able to check in a day early. The check in station said I could call a number for help with parking if I needed it. They gave me site 1330, which is an outter loop site. I ended up parking without needing help, just had to get out and look a bunch of times,  but everything worked out great. 

37 minutes ago, FT4NOW said:

I ended up being able to check in a day early. The check in station said I could call a number for help with parking if I needed it. They gave me site 1330, which is an outter loop site. I ended up parking without needing help, just had to get out and look a bunch of times,  but everything worked out great. 

Glad it worked out and thanks for the confirmation (at least for today) that help is available if someone needs it. 

11 hours ago, FT4NOW said:

Great update, thank you.

Have a magical time!

18 hours ago, FT4NOW said:

Great news - have a terrific time!!

On 9/17/2018 at 8:31 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

So was Grandma... We had a "marriage saving" deal.   She stayed in the passenger seat or when I hooked up at home, in the house.:ROFLMAO-1:

Our marriage saving deal is that I drive the thing 1400 miles and he backs it into the spot with a bit of help, no yelling allowed.  ;)

17 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Our marriage saving deal is that I drive the thing 1400 miles and he backs it into the spot with a bit of help, no yelling allowed.  ;)

Oh my gosh... that's awesome.

I can back Tom in, usually without any problems (helps if he actually listens, instead of "thinking" he can see behind a 40' rig).  But when it's his turn to back me in... well, that's a work in progress.  He cannot figure out how to give the right directions to me... Haha.   Because I travel so much on my own, I now tell him don't say a word UNLESS I'm going to hit something.  It may not be pretty, and the neighbors may bring the camp chairs over to watch, but (slowly) I am learning ;)

34 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I can back Tom in, usually without any problems (helps if he actually listens, instead of "thinking" he can see behind a 40' rig).  But when it's his turn to back me in... well, that's a work in progress.  He cannot figure out how to give the right directions to me... Haha.   Because I travel so much on my own, I now tell him don't say a word UNLESS I'm going to hit something.  It may not be pretty, and the neighbors may bring the camp chairs over to watch, but (slowly) I am learning ;)

My backing in at the Fort.

1: Pull up to the site.

2: Drop the PUP on the road

3: Push PUP into place

4: Back truck into driveway

Of course it helps that the PUP fully loaded is less than 1000 pounds! 😊

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Awesome that you are learning to back in on your own! 

I've done it - once, and not at the Fort.  It wasn't anything remotely pretty and thank goodness the site was super wide. LOL

If I absolutely had to I'd manage, but yeah the neighbors might want to fire up the grill... and sell tickets.  😎

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2018 at 8:42 AM, Travisma said:

My backing in at the Fort.

1: Pull up to the site.

2: Drop the PUP on the road

3: Push PUP into place

4: Back truck into driveway

Of course it helps that the PUP fully loaded is less than 1000 pounds! 😊

Pull up to the site

Drop the T@B on the road

Grab the remote control

Drive T@B into place with one finger