I wish the folks staying across from us this summer had thought of this.  They left their poor pup tethered outside of their tent all day.  Fortunately, they thought to leave water and found a shady spot, but I still felt sorry for the cute little guy.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, DaveInTN said:

This may be a stupid question, but isn't that cost prohibitive?  

Hmm... well you could technically write off your travel costs as a business expense so, might actually be a great way to subsidize some traveling!  🙂

On 9/14/2018 at 5:59 PM, kadancer said:

I wish the folks staying across from us this summer had thought of this.  They left their poor pup tethered outside of their tent all day.  Fortunately, they thought to leave water and found a shady spot, but I still felt sorry for the cute little guy.

At the Fort??

20 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Hmm... well you could technically write off your travel costs as a business expense so, might actually be a great way to subsidize some traveling!  🙂

I was thinking cost prohibitive for the customer.   How much must the dog sitting cost?  Aren't there local dog sitters?  The whole thing makes no sense to me, but I find that to be the case a lot lately.  

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I was thinking cost prohibitive for the customer.   How much must the dog sitting cost?  Aren't there local dog sitters?  The whole thing makes no sense to me, but I find that to be the case a lot lately.  

I suppose it depends on what she's charging.  And maybe she's targeting a clientele where the cost isn't an issue or she's offering super deluxe service people are willing to pay for - "dog will be bathed, groomed, trimmed, thoroughly exercised, be read a story and taught to make coffee..."

10 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I suppose it depends on what she's charging.  And maybe she's targeting a clientele where the cost isn't an issue or she's offering super deluxe service people are willing to pay for - "dog will be bathed, groomed, trimmed, thoroughly exercised, be read a story and taught to make coffee..."

Ok....NOW I understand.  Where do I sign up??

On 9/17/2018 at 10:54 AM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

At the Fort??

Sadly, yes.  We saw the ranger stop by to check on the him a few times.  Don't know if they ever spoke with the owners.

3 hours ago, kadancer said:

Sadly, yes.  We saw the ranger stop by to check on the him a few times.  Don't know if they ever spoke with the owners.

(argh) They have everyone's email and phone number on file.  The could have reached them if they wanted to and they absolutely should have.

Devil's advocate......

Person who rented site is a good friend or family member of Ranger. Ranger got them CM rate on site. Ranger said while you're gone I'll check on fido...  

What's wrong with that scenario?....I think too many assumptions being made here.

9 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Devil's advocate......

Person who rented site is a good friend or family member of Ranger. Ranger got them CM rate on site. Ranger said while you're gone I'll check on fido...  

What's wrong with that scenario?....I think too many assumptions being made here.

I'd have to dig out the dog rules you get at check in but I'm pretty sure it states that you can't leave your dog outside your camper when you're not there. Friends of ours did this once and they got a very stern talking to from a CM. They didn't realize it was a rule and he was used to being out at home so they didn't think it was a big deal.  They left him in the RV after that.

Also it does state somewhere that you can't have dogs with you if you're in a tent.

Every campground we've ever stayed at has the same rule about leaving dogs outside, presumably because dogs left outside would be more willing to bark at anything that passes by (people, critters...) and also there's the likelihood they could break loose or someone could let them loose.  Personally I'd be super concerned about the fact that any ol' person passing by would be able to get to my dog - that includes passing kids who at best just want to pet the nice doggie (and not all dogs are keen to be pet by strangers) and at worst are hooligans up to no good.

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'd have to dig out the dog rules you get at check in but I'm pretty sure it states that you can't leave your dog outside your camper when you're not there.

But I think we all know that's enforced about as much as "no one under 16 can drive a GC". Unless the CM knocks on doors, he/she has no way of knowing whether anyone's there.

My original point was Fido may not have been totally left unattended. 

Didn't mean to infer all was above board.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:40 AM, DaveInTN said:

Apparently some people do it for the chance to stay free in another location. Win-win.   I’m 26 and Travel Around the World as a House Sitter. Here’s How I Make It Work

3 hours ago, Seals said:

Apparently some people do it for the chance to stay free in another location. Win-win.   I’m 26 and Travel Around the World as a House Sitter. Here’s How I Make It Work

Interesting article. I looked for how much they get paid to stay in the homes and feed/care for pets/plants.  But I didn't see the amount.  I could have skimmed over that.

4 hours ago, slices said:

I was surprised when I was there July 4th, that I actually saw a CM talking sternly to someone with a dog in a tent.

Maybe the "rumor" that the new management is reinforcing rules is true.....Remember "When you wish upon a star"....

6 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

But I think we all know that's enforced about as much as "no one under 16 can drive a GC". Unless the CM knocks on doors, he/she has no way of knowing whether anyone's there.

My original point was Fido may not have been totally left unattended. 

Didn't mean to infer all was above board.

The current rules prohibit dogs in tents of pop-up campers, whether attended or unattended.  If a Ranger was checking on a dog tethered outside a tent, he wasn't helping someone comply with the rules, he was assisting them with breaking the rules.  Which wouldn't surprise me.

For what it's worth, these are the current rules, quoted directly from the Disney website as of today 9/20/18.  They've read like this for at least the last year:

Furry friends are welcome to join your family’s camping adventure as long as the following conditions are met.

• All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 8 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner’s climate-controlled personal recreational vehicle. Pets are not permitted in tents and pop-up campers.
  • Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.
  • Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.
  • Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel, or leave the Resort.
  • Please note that Guests who wish to stay with their pets at The Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort will be charged a $5 per-night pet fee.

Link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/

Those rules do not allow dogs to be on tethers, or in the hobo camp fences that some people put up around their campsites.  They have to be on a handheld leash, or inside the camper.  Period.

The no pop-up thing has really affected me, since I had to turn over a new leaf and become a strict rule follower after the TCD twins embarked on their careers in Disney management positions.  It's not all bad, though, the cabins are pretty sweet.

TCD

44 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Those rules do not allow dogs to be on tethers, or in the hobo camp fences that some people put up around their campsites. 

TCD

And we know those are "religiously" enforced...😡