http://blogmickey.com/2018/09/photos-interactive-gem-sorting-removed-from-seven-dwarfs-mine-train-queue-for-play-disney-parks-app/

It it my understanding that Disney is going to replace this with a game you download on your phone. Your phone will then interact with elements around the queue. The app is not ready yet.  

It always grosses me out seeing how many people, especially little kids, are touching all over the gems. 

Instead of keeping kids interacting with the world around them let's give them another way to bury themselves in their phones. All while collecting more data from them. I wonder how long it will be before Disney will create a 3D ride app and WDW branded VR phone holders? For the cost daily admission just strap the thing on and you are immersed in the ride with no lines.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Instead of keeping kids interacting with the world around them let's give them another way to bury themselves in their phones. All while collecting more data from them. I wonder how long it will be before Disney will create a 3D ride app and WDW branded VR phone holders? For the cost daily admission just strap the thing on and you are immersed in the ride with no lines.

I agree. My kids don't have phones and just have to wait the old fashion way. People watching is much more entertaining and long wait times mean snack time for my young ones.

One article I read on the subject, talked about the back ups in lines because people want a chance to play with all the stuff. People's faces in their phones is not going to change that. 

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

Yes...and

57 minutes ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

I agree. My kids don't have phones and just have to wait the old fashion way. People watching is much more entertaining and long wait times mean snack time for my young ones.

One article I read on the subject, talked about the back ups in lines because people want a chance to play with all the stuff. People's faces in their phones is not going to change that. 

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

They did this on Space Mountain in the queue line. There used to be buttons to press in the regular queue line for an interactive game, now it's part of the Disney parks play app.

I'm quite sure this has more to do with collecting data than moving people along, but that point does make some sense.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:06 AM, keith_h said:

Seaworld has a VR for one of their rides and they just stopped it because it was taking too long.

I'm not really sure how it worked, just saw signs and articles about it.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:23 PM, shoreline99 said:

They did this on Space Mountain in the queue line. There used to be buttons to press in the regular queue line for an interactive game, now it's part of the Disney parks play app.

I'm quite sure this has more to do with collecting data than moving people along, but that point does make some sense.

I'm sure data collecting is part of it, but I'd think it's also much easier to update/maintain an app vs an actual piece of software loaded into a physical location.  I've seen the line queue games not working plenty of times, an app always works and is easily updatable without ever stepping foot in a park.

23 minutes ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

Believe it or not, there are still people that don't have smart phones.  Also, kids need to interact with people and the world, not have their nose buried in their phone.  Enough already!!

Sadly it's not just the kids.  More and more I'm seeing older people that are new to the technology getting just as hooked as "the kids" - specifically our parents (all in their 70s). 

When we visit with family/friends I generally leave my phone parked somewhere and don't keep it on me and DH hardly ever does anyway.  We find ourselves looking at each other chuckling because we're sitting there staring at each other while everyone else (including the parents) are all surfing Facebook. 

My FIL will randomly pick up his phone while we're all chatting and before you know it he's showing you some funny meme he found or my MIL is yelling at him to turn the sound down because he started watching some video clip. He's in his early 70s and until 6 months ago had never owned anything but a flip phone.

Screens are addicting no matter what age you are.

I am reading this on my iPhone 

17 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Did you see the latest, that cell phone usage is even affecting dogs.

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/study-your-cell-phone-could-be-causing-your-dogs-depression/

Personally, I've perfected the art of one hand scrolling while the other hand gives belly rubs.  I've also perfected the art of working on my laptop on a table with a dog lying on my lap.  And when I'm reading, the dog on the lap becomes a book prop. No depression here!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 9:47 AM, disneylitch......Debbie said:

Believe it or not, there are still people that don't have smart phones.  Also, kids need to interact with people and the world, not have their nose buried in their phone.  Enough already!!

My mom doesn't. My sister keeps saying she needs one. She barely answers her flip phone. We laugh because she will call, leave a message and then turn the phone off. 

On 10/4/2018 at 9:47 AM, Seals said:

Personally, I've perfected the art of one hand scrolling while the other hand gives belly rubs. 

^This^
Although I have yet to perfect working on the laptop with the dog sitting on the keyboard.

23 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

My mom doesn't. My sister keeps saying she needs one. She barely answers her flip phone. We laugh because she will call, leave a message and then turn the phone off. 

LOL!!

My parents have cell phones, but rarely use them. They still insist on calling us on our house phone, which annoys me, because it's across the house. My cell phone is sitting in my lap usually. We only have a house phone because of the cable bundle.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I just got a smart phone, my son thought I needed it and bought it for me and set it up. He didn't like my flip phone which worked part time.