1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I read that a couple of nights ago, and then today I read that RPW CMs were told todayit will be permanent.   I think I read that on the DIS so it's probably false. 

It's probably true. The bloggers usually get the true information before the CM's. Kenny the Pirate posted the permanent closure rumor on his site. So there you have it. 

Even though Disney is making more money than ever, there is currently a hiring freeze in place, and some CM's are sweating out getting their pink slips. Like Walt always said:  "cut, cut, and cut some more- there's a sucker born every minute."

TCD

8 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's probably true. The bloggers usually get the true information before the CM's. Kenny the Pirate posted the permanent closure rumor on his site. So there you have it. 

Even though Disney is making more money than ever, there is currently a hiring freeze in place, and some CM's are sweating out getting their pink slips. Like Walt always said:  "cut, cut, and cut some more- there's a sucker born every minute."

TCD

Can't say I ever heard that Walt quote.   Must have been a WWofD hot mike moment? 

Just now, ImDownWithDisney said:

The article I read today said it was dead along with no performers for Rivers of Light. They cited low attendance as the reason. Where is this low attendance? The few times that I have been this year it has been very crowded.

What I've heard is that the beancounters are disappointed with attendance from this summer, and specifically the months of July and August.  I guess they forgot that they implemented fluid pricing so prices for parks and resorts are at their highest in the summer.  And they also forgot that they shut down a bunch of attractions way in advance of any replacements coming along.  And Toy Story Land is half the size and has half the attractions and restaurants that it should have had if done properly.  Add to that the record heat and record rain.  Gosh, I wonder why no one is coming? The solution to increasing attendance is pretty simple.  But, they don't really care about attendance- they care about the bottom line, and it's easier to improve the bottom line by slashing a few more costly attractions here and there, and sending some expendable CM's to the unemployment office.  Just like Walt always did.

TCD

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, DaveInTN said:

There are many rumors today that Rafiki's Planet Watch and Conservation Station are closing permanently in early Oct.  Any confirmation on this?  

I for one will be sad if this is true.  I don't get to AK often but Rafiki's  Planet Watch is a favorite.  A must do if children are along.

On 9/22/2018 at 2:02 PM, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

I wonder if we will see a Zootopia type area go in this spot?

I wondered if they were going to put something else there too when I heard it was closing.  Unless they move the vet hospital they can't just plow it down and build a new "land" there, but they could retheme it. 

We didn't go here often but half the fun was the train ride where you could get a peek at the behind the scenes animal barn stuff.

I took a behind the scenes tour once and they took us into the vet hospital part and showed us around.  I swear that place is equipped better than some human hospitals!

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I took a behind the scenes tour once and they took us into the vet hospital part and showed us around.  I swear that place is equipped better than some human hospitals!

Because mistakes at human hospitals don't carry with them the massive negative publicity that a mistake at AK does.  Kill a few people, and the media shrugs its shoulders.  Disney killing a giraffe is major news.  

One reason they have so much equipment is because of the size of the animals they're working on.  Example - you need a much bigger MRI machine for an 800 lb gorilla.

We actually got to talk to the head vet and he said that while it was a risk doing procedures in full view of the public, they decided it was important from an education standpoint.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this - thought some might find interesting

https://wdwnt.com/2018/09/update-rafikis-planet-watch-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-will-reopen-spring-2019/

Guests will be able to learn more about conservation and Disney’s animal programs after all.

Disney confirmed today that Rafiki’s Planet Watch’s closure will in fact be temporary rather than permanent, and the area and Wildlife Express Train will reopen in Spring 2019. This will allow time for an “extensive refurbishment”, where Disney is expected to rework the area’s offerings to appeal more to today’s guests.

Rafiki’s Planet Watch’s last day of operation is scheduled for Saturday, October 20th, while the meet-and-greets are expected to close tomorrow, September 29th. We will provide updates as the story develops.

Now I'm wondering if this was the plan all along and the info floating around just wasn't complete, or if there was enough of an outcry after the closer was announced that they reconsidered... or if it was intentional to see if anyone would care before they decided if a refurb was worth it?

There's a lot of re-themeing and enhancing potential of the train ride and the area without losing the educational component, which I think is pretty neat.  I like behind the scenes areas of zoos and aquariums. However the line "rework the area’s offerings to appeal more to today’s guests" worries me.  I'm thinking stare at your phone apps are coming there too. 

15 minutes ago, Seals said:

There's a lot of re-themeing and enhancing potential of the train ride and the area without losing the educational component, which I think is pretty neat.  I like behind the scenes areas of zoos and aquariums. However the line "rework the area’s offerings to appeal more to today’s guests" worries me.  I'm thinking stare at your phone apps are coming there too. 

Funny, but I was picturing Olaf and Sven.