Major changes for COE and Govt campground Reservations

Courtesy of JAYCO OWNERS FORUM:

Change to Federal Government Reservation System

There has been talk for some time of a change for the government reservation system to another system. I am working at a COE campground right now and am involved in the transition training. 

Here is what we know as of this date:

You will no longer be able to make reservations at any federal government facility via reserveamerica.com. This change is to be made on 9-30-18.

The link for reservations after the transition will be recreation.gov and the phone number will be the same as it has been 877-444-6777.

When the reserveamerica system is removed on 9-30 the recreation.gov link and the phone number will be unavailable until approximately 10-5. This period will allow moving all historical customer data to the new system. You will not be able to make a reservation at any facility during this period. If you arrive at your favorite facility during this transition period you should be able to check in, but only as a walk in and only for 1 day at a time. No advance reservations will be possible. If you want to stay more than one day you will have to check in each day as a new walk in, but no one will be able to reserve your site from online or phone since these are not options during this period.

This is what we know as of right now so if you know you want to stay at a government facility during this transition period you should make your reservations before 9-30 which will be honored during the 10-1 through 10-5 period.
1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I have always made COE reservations at recreation.gov.  Have you previously been able to make them using both portals?  

And if they are migrating to a new system, or least for some users, resulting in some downtime, why not do that in January when most of the COE parks are closed?

Now Dave, there you go attempting to apply logic to a government decision.

45 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Is ReserveAmerica going away completely or just for the federal sites?  I did a quick google search and nothing came up.

It looks like all the state parks I frequent are on ReserveAmerica.  Not that it really matters, I'm just curious.

WBI

IIRC, federal campgrounds like COE parks used to be bookable on reserveamerica, and then sometime several years back they transitioned to recreation.gov for those parks.  But the website itself looks just like reserveamerica, and I think I read at one time that the government contracted with reserveamerica to do the recreation.gov site.  So, perhaps at this point they are letting that contract run out, and the government is building its own website?  I hope not, as the existing site is pretty user friendly, and I'm guessing a new government-built site won't be.  But will have to wait and see.  

If that's the case, I bet there will be no change for state parks that use reserveamerica.

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

IIRC, federal campgrounds like COE parks used to be bookable on reserveamerica, and then sometime several years back they transitioned to recreation.gov for those parks.  But the website itself looks just like reserveamerica, and I think I read at one time that the government contracted with reserveamerica to do the recreation.gov site.  So, perhaps at this point they are letting that contract run out, and the government is building its own website?  I hope not, as the existing site is pretty user friendly, and I'm guessing a new government-built site won't be.  But will have to wait and see.  

If that's the case, I bet there will be no change for state parks that use reserveamerica.

That never goes well.....

On 9/24/2018 at 1:17 PM, DaveInTN said:

I have always made COE reservations at recreation.gov. 

Us too.

5 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Is ReserveAmerica going away completely or just for the federal sites?  

Hopefully that doesn't happen... or at least doesn't mess up reservations we've already made through them.  I used ReserveAmerica for a stay next month at Hart Springs in FL and then next February at Topsail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 1:17 PM, DaveInTN said:

I have always made COE reservations at recreation.gov.  Have you previously been able to make them using both portals?  

And if they are migrating to a new system, or least for some users, resulting in some downtime, why not do that in January when most of the COE parks are closed?

Probably had something to do with the Feds fiscal year starting on Oct. 1st. I'm sure it's a budgetary issue.