Significant price increases to drinks and snacks at Walt Disney World

9 hours ago in "Harambe Market"

New pricing is in effect at Walt Disney World for beverages and snacks, with some seeing a considerable increase.

The following isn't an exhaustive list, but shows examples of increases observed so far.

• Regular sodas are now $3.99, up from the previous $3.29
  • Large sodas are now $4.49, up from $3.49
  • SmartWater is now $5.50, up from $4.50
  • Regular coffee is now $3.29, up from $2.79
  • Hot Tea is now $3.29 up from $2.79
  • Bottled water is now $3.50, up from $3.00
  • Orange Juice is now $4.99, up from $4.29
  • Churro is now $5.89, up from $5.19
Harambe Market opening day

$5.75 for a Mickey Bar?  But they are "free" on Disney cruises.  I just checked the Disney Cruise website, and see several cruises prices out at around $250 per person per night.  At an imputed price of $5.75 per Mickey Bar, that would equal 43 Mickey Bars per day of a cruise to break even.  And then you can consider the cruise itself to be a bonus!  

Who says Disney Cruises aren't reasonable?  

Funny story. A few years ago we had a pretty crazy time getting to the Fort. By the time we pulled into our site my husband was full on break down. I wrote a trip report about it. Anyway, it was our first time at the Fort and I thought it would be a great idea to get Mickey bars and walk around for a bit to detox and clear our minds. We are not a small group and I figured the icecream bars would be expensive but when the lady at the Meadows told my husband it would be $60 + dollars, I quickly swooped in to pay and shooed my family out the door. My husband looked like a deer caught in headlights lol. So much for clearing our minds. Gotta love Disney prices. Some things I am willing to pay for others, not so much. A churro for $6.75? Really? I can get one at Costco for a dollar.

54 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

I wonder when Disney will hit the breaking point when they have priced out to many familie and they start loosing money. But there movies will carry them through.

Well that's why they do the magical dining plans.

They count on people being so overwhelmed when making reservations, that they don't sit down and figure out if they are a good fit for their family and if the plans will save them $$.  I bet for the majority of families they end up paying a lot more for the plans then they would if they just bought meals.

And it seems like most of the people in front of me in the food lines that have a dining plan are clueless as to what they get... no sir, you only get 1 entree, not all 5.

And with the amount of bodies in the food places from 10:30 to 2:30, they don't care about the cost of meals...

4 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Well that's why they do the magical dining plans.

They count on people being so overwhelmed when making reservations, that they don't sit down and figure out if they are a good fit for their family and if the plans will save them $$.  I bet for the majority of families they end up paying a lot more for the plans then they would if they just bought meals.

And it seems like most of the people in front of me in the food lines that have a dining plan are clueless as to what they get... no sir, you only get 1 entree, not all 5.

And with the amount of bodies in the food places from 10:30 to 2:30, they don't care about the cost of meals...

Maybe that's why they are increasing food prices, to make the ridiculous dining plan look like a good deal. And  to be fair if you like to eat a lot all the time it could be a good value but not for my family.

We were at an event last weekend that had food trucks and one was selling REAL Dole Whip Floats - Disneyland style with umbrellas and cherries!

This was the conversation when DH came and told me...
DH: they have Dole whip floats
Me: WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! (loud enough that people around us whipped around and looked at me)
DH (chuckles): so do you want one?
Me (gives him "the look"): you're kidding, right?

They were $5, which makes them $1 cheaper than they are now at WDW.

Oh and they were completely delicious.

3 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

We were at an event last weekend that had food trucks and one was selling REAL Dole Whip Floats - Disneyland style with umbrellas and cherries!

This was the conversation when DH came and told me...
DH: they have Dole whip floats
Me: WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! (loud enough that people around us whipped around and looked at me)
DH (chuckles): so do you want one?
Me (gives him "the look"): you're kidding, right?

They were $5, which makes them $1 cheaper than they are now at WDW.

Oh and they were completely delicious.

What I hate is when they swirl the Dole Whip into the cup they leave a huge air hole up the middle!  Your cup looks big but there really isn't a lot of product in there, it's a lot of air!

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

What I hate is when they swirl the Dole Whip into the cup they leave a huge air hole up the middle!  Your cup looks big but there really isn't a lot of product in there, it's a lot of air!

That's largely due to how you swirl the soft serve into the cup as it comes out of the machine, but if you're really good at it, there's not as much space. It's all in the wrist. 😎

I honed my soft serve skills working at McD's in college.  Back when you could still make your own Dole Whip at the Poly I made one that was about 12" tall - good form also means it's stable and you can stack it higher. I could have gone higher but I was starting to attract a crowd LOL.

Shortly after they got rid of the make your own machine.  Hmmm....

if you're really good at it, there's not as much space

Oh, I'm sure the CMs are really good at it.  They are probably trained to get the biggest air gaps they can possibly fit in those tiny cups.

And Busch Gardens and Sea World serve Dole Whip in real pineapple shells if you pay extra and they are really filled.

38 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Oh, I'm sure the CMs are really good at it.  They are probably trained to get the biggest air gaps they can possibly fit in those tiny cups.

Hah!  That might be true, although if you're just trying to fill a cup  as quickly as possible vs make it stand up on a cone, you don't have to be particularly careful about swirling it which also means bigger air gaps.

On the plus side, it increases the surface area of soft serve touching the pineapple juice which is a good thing. 🙂

38 minutes ago, Travisma said:

And Busch Gardens and Sea World serve Dole Whip in real pineapple shells if you pay extra and they are really filled.

That sounds fantastic!

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That's largely due to how you swirl the soft serve into the cup as it comes out of the machine, but if you're really good at it, there's not as much space. It's all in the wrist. 😎

I honed my soft serve skills working at McD's in college.  Back when you could still make your own Dole Whip at the Poly I made one that was about 12" tall - good form also means it's stable and you can stack it higher. I could have gone higher but I was starting to attract a crowd LOL.

This cracks me up. I love your study and specific technique of how to get a perfect swirl. It's all in the wrist lol

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Jessica perfected hers when we went on our cruise. 

31 minutes ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

This cracks me up. I love your study and specific technique of how to get a perfect swirl. It's all in the wrist lol

It's an acquired skill - LOL!!
This isn't the biggest one I ever managed, but it's close - large soda cup for comparison.

Dole whip

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Once you make the first loop you have to cut across the middle to start the second but I'm sure they don't tell the CM's that at training. If you start the cut just after overlapping where you started you will never see the break.