More than a Mickey Head UPDATE 03/19

Before the end of 2018, Disney will flip the switch on a sprawling 50-megawatt solar power facility composed of more than a half-million solar panels, just outside Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The move is aimed, in part, at helping Disney achieve its larger plan to reduce its net greenhouse gas emissions 50 percent worldwide by 2020, compared to 2012.

“At our sites around the world, we’re investing in hidden magic to continually reduce our environmental footprint,” Bob Chapek, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products, said.

The soon-to-open Disney World solar facility, spread along a 270-acre designated renewable energy area, will produce enough energy to supply 10,000 homes annually and will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by more than 57,000 tons per year, according to Disney’s estimates. That is the annual equivalent of removing roughly 9,300 automobiles from the roads, the company says.

The energy will not actually go to Disney’s theme parks, but rather into the local power grid. Nonetheless, with one eye on its global reputation and another on its customers’ increasing focus on sustainability, Disney is emerging as a renewable energy force.

Of course this doesn’t take into account the pollution produced in the manufacture of the solar panels not to mention the banks of batteries necessary to store all this energy.   

50 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

Of course this doesn’t take into account the pollution produced in the manufacture of the solar panels not to mention the banks of batteries necessary to store all this energy.   

That's a drop in the bucket compared to the pollution all of the visitor's generate with their vehicles and air travel. Of course we don't have to worry about plastic straws anymore. 

Think about the methane gas produced by all those guests overeating at the Disney restaurants 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/10/first-panel-installed-at-new-solar-facility-providing-power-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

First Panel Installed at New Solar Facility Providing Power to Walt Disney World Resort

One down, 499,999 to go! We are excited to announce that the first of half a million solar panels was recently installed at the previously-announced new 270-acre, 50-megawatt solar facility, which is being developed in collaboration with the Reedy Creek Improvement District and Origis Energy USA to provide power to Walt Disney World Resort. When completed in just a few months, this facility will, on average, generate enough renewable clean energy to equate to powering two of our four Disney theme parks here in Central Florida.

This project marks another milestone in our commitment to conservation and environmental stewardship here at Disney, a tradition that began with Walt Disney himself and has continued with the dedication of our Cast Members today. And, as mentioned in the recent New York Times article highlighting this project, Disney’s sustainability leadership is providing inspiration at a global level.

I visited the construction site along with several other members of the project team to celebrate the exciting milestone of the first panel being installed. It was so thrilling to see the progress that’s being made on this new solar facility – helping us achieve our environmental goals while meeting the power needs of our business.

Cast Members from Disney’s Animal, Science and Environment and Horticulture teams are playing an integral role in the development of the facility, including their efforts to make the site pollinator friendly and safe for endangered species of butterflies, bees and other insects.

This is just one more way in which we’re using renewable clean energy to bring Disney magic to our guests Be sure to keep reading the Disney Parks Blog and follow the Disney’s Animals, Science and Environment Facebook page for additional updates.

• 4 months later...

I have to say this is impressive to me.   As the cost goes down I can see every home in a suitable climate being built with solar panels on the roof.  Tesla has an awesome solar shingle system that will power most homes in a southerly climate.  It is cost prohibitive for most builders at this time but if it comes down in price it will be game changer, IMO.

I have very much considered putting panels on the roof of my RV but we don't boondock enough to make it worth the expense and I am not a person that is concerned enough  about the small amount of energy I use at campgrounds.