Campground opinions for Charleston, SC

Rene and I are thinking about heading down to Charleston for the Thanksgiving weekend. James Island County Park looks like a nice place and has good reviews. There is also the private Oak Plantation campground which again has pretty good reviews but is about $10 more per night after the Good Sam discount. I have looked at the Mt. Pleasant KOA as well but I don't think they are open that week as the site won't take reservations and every other day of the month is open but I plan to call to confirm. Anybody have any experience with any of these or other campgrounds around Charleston?

We stayed at the Mt. Pleasant KOA last summer on site B2.  It was an awesome site and probably the best one in the campground.  Overlooks the lake, large trees, has a fire pit, and concrete patio.  The other sites were nice too but not very shady.  The drive into Charleston isn't too bad but can be slow in traffic.  You will cross that beautiful bridge which has a great view of the ocean.  I would stay there again.

The county park host a Christmas light display and is pretty popular, if they have any open sites. I know FROG host a rally there sometime in Dec. and takes up around 25 sites. Also heard good reviews of the other location as well.

9 hours ago, YENSIDCAMPER said:

We stayed at the Mt. Pleasant KOA last summer on site B2.  It was an awesome site and probably the best one in the campground.  Overlooks the lake, large trees, has a fire pit, and concrete patio.  The other sites were nice too but not very shady.  The drive into Charleston isn't too bad but can be slow in traffic.  You will cross that beautiful bridge which has a great view of the ocean.  I would stay there again.

Been across the bridge multiple times. A department I was in in the early 2000's use to hold our annual planning session at Wild Dunes Resort and we would frequently go into Charleston. It's been close to 15 years since we've made a visit and with the 5 day weekend Charleston is just about the perfect distance for a relaxing trip. 

Lived in North Charleston another lifetime ago when 1st spouse was in the Navy. Crossing the bridges was an almost daily occurrence for awhile as I worked on Kiowa island. Unfortunately, didn't have a camper back then. One of our favorite things was going into Mt. Pleasant for the seafood, and since we were still pretty young, went to the beach quite a bit. Also enjoyed going to the Cooper River Bridge to see if I could get a glimpse of the sub as it was coming in, then get back to the base as they docked.