Largest ship docks at Canaveral.

Symphony of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) docked at Canaveral this morning. How can being on a ship that big be fun? 18 decks and over 6,000 passengers. Shore excursions would be like MK Main Street on New Years Eve. NO THANK YOU!

I saw it is on it's way to Miami where it will home port at their brand new terminal.  Which will be the largest Royal Caribbean terminal, and it looks pretty fancy.

I agree though the size and amount of people don't sound appealing, BUT I've read some good reviews and the ship does look pretty amazing. Maybe one day if there's a good deal I'll be able to talk Lisa into going on it, for research purposes.

WBI

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Symphony of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) docked at Canaveral this morning. How can being on a ship that big be fun? 18 decks and over 6,000 passengers. Shore excursions would be like MK Main Street on New Years Eve. NO THANK YOU!

We sailed on carnival vista (approx 4000 guests) a couple of years ago. That is the biggest ship we’ve ever sailed.   I was worried about the amount of people onboard. Surprisingly it never felt crowded.   Or no so more than other ships we’ve sailed.  It did have a lot more venues then other ships we’ve been on.  However, they had a lot more extra charge venues.  You had to pay to see a movie in the theatre, they had 1/2 dozen plus pay restaurants. Not just a steakhouse type restaurant but walk up restaurants on the promenade 

I wouldn't mind trying one of those huge ships sometime but I'd be a bit nervous about the crowds and sheer size of the thing.  We've been on the Disney Dream which is about 4,000 passengers...I can't imagine 67% more. 

The new Virgin ship sounds pretty cool....around 2000 passengers, which is a lot for the "luxe" ship category.  And no buffet and no main dining room.  There will be around 20 dining spots you can choose from, all made to order, and each restaurant will have a bar so I think you could choose to sit at the bar and have a bite to eat.  In place of the buffet will be a food hall where everything is made to order.  

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Doesn't Carnival have a bigger ship on the way?

The DCL Blog had a podcast a few months back discussing some big changes being made at Port Caneveral, particularly in regard to fueling requirements. I don't recall the new RCCL ship requiring any port upgrades. 

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Doesn't Carnival have a bigger ship on the way?

The DCL Blog had a podcast a few months back discussing some big changes being made at Port Caneveral, particularly in regard to fueling requirements. I don't recall the new RCCL ship requiring any port upgrades. 

TCD

RCL is supposed to have another new Mega Ship coming to and based out of Canaveral in 2019.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I wouldn't mind trying one of those huge ships sometime but I'd be a bit nervous about the crowds and sheer size of the thing.  We've been on the Disney Dream which is about 4,000 passengers...I can't imagine 67% more. 

The new Virgin ship sounds pretty cool....around 2000 passengers, which is a lot for the "luxe" ship category.  And no buffet and no main dining room.  There will be around 20 dining spots you can choose from, all made to order, and each restaurant will have a bar so I think you could choose to sit at the bar and have a bite to eat.  In place of the buffet will be a food hall where everything is made to order.  

That ship is adults only right?