A Day Late and Much More than a Dollar Short!

We had planned to leave today for our month-long stay at the Fort.

A few weeks ago we got our moho, Dolly, out of the shop.  Routine maintenance, 10 new hydraulic lifts on the bay doors, problems with the steps going in and out, a few other miscellaneous little repairs.  It turned out our batteries were shot, and we had to replace all six AGM batteries.  Ouch.

Yesterday David was loading the golf cart, and it stopped working halfway up the ramp.  Called our local repair shop, and they told us they couldn't look at it until next week.  We drove across town late yesterday and begged.  Thankfully they picked it up this morning, repaired it, and returned it late this afternoon.  Six new batteries -- totally unexpected -- a wiring connection fixed, and several hundred more flew out of our wallets.

And this afternoon David discovered while loading it that my scooter wasn't working.  The back wheels were locked up.  A few months ago we had it repaired because it was making a weird knocking sound.  Turned out that a part in the wheel was installed backwards at the factory!  I used it a few weeks ago, and the knocking was gone.  But it was still making a quiet, funny sound.  

When David told me my scooter was broken, I just lost it.

David started looking at my scooter a little while ago and discovered that the repairman had put on one of the back wheels backwards!  So now it's fixed!

A little while ago I brushed my teeth, and my electric toothbrush quit working.  I'm afraid to touch anything else.

Anyway, we're planning to leave home early in the morning, a day late.  That means we need to drive 500 miles tomorrow.  Because of my DVT problem I need to stop and walk around every hour or two, so it's gonna be a long day!  Praying we have safe travel and nothing else breaks down.  For those of you who will be at the Fort over Thanksgiving, we hope to see you there!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just found a deal!  New Nikon D7500 will arrive at the Fort on Monday!

I just returned home after being at the Fort with Gwen and David for a week.  Let me tell you, Gwen was in terrible pain, but - like the trooper she is - she didn't let that stop her.  She and David w

Yesterday we drove over 500 miles.  Stopped in St. Augustine and spent the night at the Flying J.  Left there this morning around 5:30 and arrived at the Fort a couple of hours later.  Boy, is it crow

Sorry to hear about the troubles....

We had some troubles on our trip too, but on the way home. We hit a semi trailer tire tread on the road, and broke some stuff on the truck and the camper. Nothing super major, but really annoying. It is now time to put the camper away for a few months, so it can wait, and the truck stuff is cosmetic, but still really annoying.

1 minute ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Sorry to hear about the troubles....

We had some troubles on our trip too, but on the way home. We hit a semi trailer tire tread on the road, and broke some stuff on the truck and the camper. Nothing super major, but really annoying. It is now time to put the camper away for a few months, so it can wait, and the truck stuff is cosmetic, but still really annoying.

Carol, sorry to hear about the accident!  Thankful that you and Rick weren't hurt.  It could have been so much worse.

Sounds like my pre Fort spending. I put new tires and repacked my bearings on the camper....$800. Then I discovered my golf cart batteries were bad....$770. Then I decided to put the new batteries in my Yamaha cart which needs a backseat....$270. All before we leave for the Fort. 

I hope everything goes well for y'all now 

Yesterday we drove over 500 miles.  Stopped in St. Augustine and spent the night at the Flying J.  Left there this morning around 5:30 and arrived at the Fort a couple of hours later.  Boy, is it crowded here!

Went over to the MK to activate our annual passes.  Walked down Main Street.  It was insane.

We are on site 704 until December 11.  Look forward to seeing you!  Please stop by if you're in the neighborhood!

17 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Yesterday we drove over 500 miles.  Stopped in St. Augustine and spent the night at the Flying J.  Left there this morning around 5:30 and arrived at the Fort a couple of hours later.  Boy, is it crowded here!

Went over to the MK to activate our annual passes.  Walked down Main Street.  It was insane.

We are on site 704 until December 11.  Look forward to seeing you!  Please stop by if you're in the neighborhood!

I saw some FB posts about filming the Christmas special. 

Not sure if it was WDW or Disneyland. 

That might explain some of the crowds. 

We were at Disney Springs this morning and it wasn't too bad, and SeaWorld yesterday was great.

23 hours ago, Travisma said:

I saw some FB posts about filming the Christmas special. 

You may be right.  There was some kind of show in front of the castle around 5 yesterday afternoon that I thought was odd.

Magic Kingdom today.  It was still crowded but not as bad as yesterday.

Haven't taken many pictures yet but will try to get some posted soon.

On 11/12/2018 at 8:47 PM, LONE-STAR said:

I just bought new AGM batteries for my truck today $411.00 not a fun way to start Monday.

12 hours ago, Duane said:

Hey Gwen,

So glad you guys are at Disney (finally).  We will miss seeing you guys this year.  Have fun, unwind and relax!

LONE-STAR, $2,000 for the moho, if that makes you feel better!

Thanks, Duane.  David was just asking about you today.  Sorry we missed you this trip!

12 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I hate all the trouble you had before getting there, but glad you made it and are enjoying your time there. 

Thank you, Yvonne.  So far we're having a great time.  Once I can get Imgur to cooperate, I'll share some photos.

3 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

So glad you made it to the Fort, Gwen!  Hope you and David have a wonderful stay.  Site 704 is where we were and you all were across the road...remember that trip? 😊

I sure do!  David and I were talking about it on Monday.  It seems strange to be here without you all across the street from us.

I've always wished to get stopped at the banquet hall scene on Haunted Mansion so I could get some good photos.  Well, it almost happened on Monday.  We were stopped for 2-3 minutes, but I didn't have my low light lens with me.  I was so very disappointed!  This is the best I could do:

mf959ad.jpg?1

Oh, well.  One of these days!

5 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I sure do!  David and I were talking about it on Monday.  It seems strange to be here without you all across the street from us.

It was strange for us... not to see you guys there.

Saw your pics and people in their shorts; I joked with the kids that we were going to drive down and plant a tent in the dog walking area there behind the 700 loop.  I mean heck, there were 3 there last week; who knows who they belonged to ;)  

11 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Very nice pics!!!

Thank y;ou, Carol.

9 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Wow that SMB having to do all that work before you even left your house.

Hopefully it’s smooth sailing from this point on.

Great pictures!   I always enjoy seeing the photos you post.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you too, Ray.

6 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

It was strange for us... not to see you guys there.

Saw your pics and people in their shorts; I joked with the kids that we were going to drive down and plant a tent in the dog walking area there behind the 700 loop.  I mean heck, there were 3 there last week; who knows who they belonged to ;)  

You can always pitch a tent behind us!

Yesterday we had a great time at EPCOT.  We started with The Land.

JgjeeoP.jpg

Then we went to the World Showcase and traveled counter-clockwise.

8kQzCo0.jpg

ooPxoiV.jpg

We stopped at the American Adventure ...

LcCkBTG.jpg

VxYuHGy.jpg

... to hear the Voices of Liberty.

CtM2Qwf.jpg

We went on to our lunch destination. -- a first for us  This was a place that David really wanted to try but I didn't.  Their menu isn't easy for a low carber.  But I'm so glad we chose it!

I8q2XTQ.jpg

We ate at Tutto Italia!

I had the Grande Antipasto Misto, which is an appetizer for two.  David helped me eat it.

70NExv8.jpg

David had La Cottoletta alla Milanese, which is pan-fried breaded veal, mozzarella, tomatoes, arugula ,and lemon vinaigrette..  

CcH05u6.jpg

This was the birthday cupcake they brought to me:

nxpoMCi.jpg

Oh my gosh!  The service was impeccable, the food was delicious ... one of our all-time favorite meals at the World!

On the way out of the park we rode Spaceship Earth and got stuck at this spot:

YqnuNqk.jpg

Later we went looping around the Fort.

gqoa4mH.jpg

FTQLiK2.jpg

jaMnIG1.jpg