Good Bye PhotoPass Photographers ?

37 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I saw that on wdwnt a short bit ago. They say they are currently being tested at Town Square Theater and Adventurers Outpost. Doesn't surprise me as a machine costs less on the ledger than a person.

Another post I saw said it'll be starting in Tink's soon.

All of the comments have been negative so far.

20 hours ago, Beckers said:

This is dumb.that is all

This

14 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

It also eliminates the "can you take our picture with our phone" so now you have to buy there's. The Mouse needs more cheese.

Definitely This

12 hours ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

Not a way to save a buck Disney. Actual live photographers see moments that a machine does not. They can also catch just the right time when you kid is actually looking. Not a fan of this idea.

The photographers are also good at wrangling everyone to get the best shots.

I also wonder how much of a cluster@#$% this is going to create with lines.  CMs do a good job of keeping things moving.  If it's up to people to do this on their own I can just imagine groups taking a really long time to get their shots as the line gets longer and longer...

14 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

It also eliminates the "can you take our picture with our phone" so now you have to buy there's. The Mouse needs more cheese.

Actually, the "character friends" will still be there, and they are the ones that usually take the picture with your phone.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:59 AM, Travisma said:

Article popped up on FB, that at 9 Character Meet and Greet locations they will have an automated camera system instead of a live photographer.

No indication of what places are getting them, or how exactly they will be able to capture those special interactions.

On 11/15/2018 at 12:09 PM, Beckers said:

This is dumb.that is all

This is what I call dumb and dumber - what stupid bean counter came up with this idea!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Here is an update....more automation, less humans.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/photos-automated-photopass-cameras-installed-at-star-wars-launch-bay-meet-and-greets-disneys-hollywood-studios/

As we previously reported, automated PhotoPass cameras are being introduced at select Walt Disney World meet and greet locations. These automated cameras will take your picture instead of PhotoPass photographers once activated. The camera will be positioned in the room to take photos throughout the duration of the interaction with the characters.

We recently showed you the cameras installed at the Town Square Theater meet and greet with Tinker Bell in “Pixie Hollow”. They are now also installed at Star Wars Launch Bay at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where they are much more well hidden:

E9EDF568-0B75-4D72-879F-9F77773EDBD4.jpe

Here’s the camera box in the Chewbacca meet and greet.

152AE9C4-A40A-41C2-8B10-FB9146819451.jpe

Chewie was checking it out after we took pictures of it.

64876684-9D93-4624-B5AA-805D32C4C447.jpe

The camera box in the Kylo Ren meet and greet looks right at home on an Imperial or First Order vessel.

No start date is set for when the camera will go into use for guests just yet.