Discovery Island

I can't remember... what will go, where the BBQ and stables are now?   Are the Fort, the Lodge and this new resort basically going to blend together (like Port Orleans with Riverside and the French Quarters)?   I just can't picture how they're going to fit such a large property into that area.  I'm guessing the paved bike bath will be removed?

Still just one word:  YUCK

18 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I can't remember... what will go, where the BBQ and stables are now?   Are the Fort, the Lodge and this new resort basically going to blend together (like Port Orleans with Riverside and the French Quarters)?   I just can't picture how they're going to fit such a large property into that area.  I'm guessing the paved bike bath will be removed?

Still just one word:  YUCK

I was wondering about the path myself as we were riding down it but when we got to the lodge there was a sogn saying it was the mew balance path. I wonder if new balance sponsors the upkeep. Also is that path used for the marathons? If they take that out how would the marathons be impacted.

34 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

I was wondering about the path myself as we were riding down it but when we got to the lodge there was a sogn saying it was the mew balance path. I wonder if new balance sponsors the upkeep. Also is that path used for the marathons? If they take that out how would the marathons be impacted.

The regular Run Disney Marathons don't go to the Fort.  Not sure if the Fort Holiday themed runs go that way.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

The regular Run Disney Marathons don't go to the Fort.  Not sure if the Fort Holiday themed runs go that way.

I dont recall what it was but last february when we were there a marathon came through. Not sure what it was but it was the end of february. They had disney security at all of the crosswalks and the path went around the fort circle and they had disney security directing traffic. Figured that it came through because of whatever that run was then.

14 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

I dont recall what it was but last february when we were there a marathon came through. Not sure what it was but it was the end of february. They had disney security at all of the crosswalks and the path went around the fort circle and they had disney security directing traffic. Figured that it came through because of whatever that run was then.

Well maybe I'm wrong... My nephew has been in all of the different length runs, and he never mention going thru the Fort, and all the Run Disney sponsored maps don't show the courses going anywhere near the Fort.

That is the timeframe for the Princess Marathon weekend, but their maps don't show anything near the Fort either.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Well maybe I'm wrong... My nephew has been in all of the different length runs, and he never mention going thru the Fort, and all the Run Disney sponsored maps don't show the courses going anywhere near the Fort.

That is the timeframe for the Princess Marathon weekend, but their maps don't show anything near the Fort either.

You are correct.  Between myself and my daughter we've run all lengths of the races and none go through Fort Wilderness.  Not sure what event would have involved the Fort.  Perhaps it was a cast event, or at one time a triathlon did involve Fort Wilderness.

35 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

You are correct.  Between myself and my daughter we've run all lengths of the races and none go through Fort Wilderness.  Not sure what event would have involved the Fort.  Perhaps it was a cast event, or at one time a triathlon did involve Fort Wilderness.

I will ask my sister and brother in law and see if they remember. They were here with us then.

Since I dont recall the exact day this happened and am ignorant when it comes to these races, does anyone know if they use the trail from the lodge and path around the fort as a training track a day or so before a race? I found this old map somewhere when trying to figure out what we remembered. This looks like the path that was being used and there were signs down around the 4 way stop and 1100 for the crossing there.

fortwildernessmap.jpg

3 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

I will ask my sister and brother in law and see if they remember. They were here with us then.

Since I dont recall the exact day this happened and am ignorant when it comes to these races, does anyone know if they use the trail from the lodge and path around the fort as a training track a day or so before a race? I found this old map somewhere when trying to figure out what we remembered. This looks like the path that was being used and there were signs down around the 4 way stop and 1100 for the crossing there.

fortwildernessmap.jpg

It might've been something the Lodge sponsored for the princess weekend races.

52 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

They had a 5k or something last week through the Fort. It was really early in the morning. I saw a few people finishing up. They had their number bibs on and there was arrows taped along the sidewalks.

They had one for Halloween and probably for Thanksgiving.  And if I remember correctly they had one on the 4th of July also.

French Quarter has a Beignet Fun Run every Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

I remember a few years ago when there was the triathlon at the fort, the grass area near the Settlement was full of bikes ready for the competitors.  Was pretty interesting.  Other than that and the internal 5Ks they run, I can't think of anything else.

We were there in 99 or 2000 and they had one. They were swimming in the lake to the beach and running to get their bikes in the grass by the windmill.

Ok back on topic..we just floated by discovery island and I looked really close and the boat is gone. Where it was the brush is pulled back some and you can see an obvious opening. There is also an opening where the front of the boat used to be but I couldnt get a picture of it quick enough. I also noticed that the fort dock appears to have some new lights on the end of it. Didnt get a pic of them but here is one of the discovery island area with the missing shipwreck.

20181129-100223.jpg

12 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

Ok back on topic..we just floated by discovery island and I looked really close and the boat is gone. Where it was the brush is pulled back some and you can see an obvious opening. There is also an opening where the front of the boat used to be but I couldnt get a picture of it quick enough. I also noticed that the fort dock appears to have some new lights on the end of it. Didnt get a pic of them but here is one of the discovery island area with the missing shipwreck.

20181129-100223.jpg

I don't see it, but I bet it's in there. It had about disappeared on our last few trips. If they had removed it i think the brush would be more disturbed. But I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

I don't see it, but I bet it's in there. It had about disappeared on our last few trips. If they had removed it i think the brush would be more disturbed. But I could be wrong.

There is a pretty big gap where the front of the boat was and it appears to be more disturbed. I will try and snag a picture if we go back by during the day. 

1 hour ago, LONE-STAR said:

I think we need a TCD investigation, go rent a boat and get out the zoom lens.

I agree. We are still in the MK. Decided to do the christmas party tonight so wont be able to get a pic of the other opening that is shortly down from the one I posted. If anyone would know if I lost my mind it would be TCD. I am sure he has numerous pics that could clear this up.