There is a new FB group called the Fort Wilderness' Wandering Fire Pit.

Just before Halloween, a couple brought a pit to the Fort and found out they couldn't use it because it didn't have a top.

The husband took some sort of cover that was too large and beat the heck out of it and folded it to fit. 

It aint pretty but it's functional.

They posted on another FB camping page they didn't want to take it home and asked if someone else wanted to use it.

They were taken up on the offer and the fire pit has now been passed on from camper to camper.

Someone recently made the page to commemorate it's travels and to keep it going.

So if you want a loaner pit while at the Fort, join the page and book a reservation!

Just now, Travisma said:

Just before Halloween, a couple brought a pit to the Fort and found out they couldn't use it because it didn't have a top.

The husband took some sort of cover that was too large and beat the heck out of it and folded it to fit. 

They posted on another FB camping page they didn't want to take it home and asked if someone else wanted to use it.

They were taken up on the offer and the fire pit has now been passed on from camper to camper.

Someone recently made the page to commemorate it's travels and to keep it going.

So if you want a loaner pit while at the Fort, join the page and book a reservation!

Haha....that's awesome ^_^

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

It is being posted in the Disney Campers FB group. We could have claimed while we were there but I didn't bring any wood. BTW, I saw plenty of open top pits being used.

8 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

It is being posted in the Disney Campers FB group. We could have claimed while we were there but I didn't bring any wood. BTW, I saw plenty of open top pits being used.

No way, must've been a hallucination from too much Kugaloosh!

Disney wouldn't allow any rule breakers in the Fort.

We were in 1500 one time and the people about 3 sites away didn't have an open top fire pit, they had a full on towering inferno bonfire!  Flames must've been 20 feet tall.

...and it figures, the one time i broke a rule And brought a screen top fire pit, I got busted by the Disney po po and was asked to put it out. Low and behold, a co-worker got a nice fire pit the following week 

15 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

We saw a guy this morning running around on a golf cart picking up all of the wood laying around the fort for his pit. Wonder if he is the current keeper of the pit.

We see folks in campgrounds around us do that every Sunday, we call the WOOD CHUCKERS!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

We see folks in campgrounds around us do that every Sunday, we call the WOOD CHUCKERS!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh...that's hilarious.  I've never seen that.  Makes sense though as I think many campgrounds (or so I've heard), the campground hosts do the same thing (unused, left over wood only) and then they pack it and sell it.  So, I guess if we were campfire people, I too would run around and grab the wood 😅