Disneyland Gives You Cancer

There was a FB discussion the other day about a purchased MB.  It had the cancer warning on the box about the plastics, etc.

People chimed in that the warning is on anything that might end up being sold in CA.  heck I cut those annoying tags off all of my christmas lights and extension cords.

Someone else posted a picture saying Disneyland has the same signs.

I thought it was a spoof, but Googled it today and came up with these...

Image result for warning signs at disneyland cancer

Have any of you Disneyland Fiends seen these on your travels?

CA has gone too far with their "Safety Net". 

Prop 65 was a voter initiative that required labeling of anything that might cause cancer no matter how slight. I think a lot of the signs and labels are prophylactic in nature whether they are truly needed or not. To be honest  I'm surprised they don't have a warning on birth certificates that being born is known by the State of California to carry the risk of getting cancer.

My son in law had to order a front license plate bracket for their car (my daughter and he live near San Diego).  He asked me if he could have it sent to our house here in Florida so he could take it back with them after their visit with us for Christmas.  When I asked him why, he said it was because the bracket could not be mailed to California because it did not have the cancer warning notice on it!  Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PghBob said:

Think of the money lost on this law, the pollution caused by the manufacture and painting of the signs, and the lost man-hours due to this law.  This is an example of common sense not being common, especially among politicians of all stripes. 

It wasn't politicians. It was a voter initiative that passed so the state had no choice but to implement it.

18 hours ago, keith_h said:

It wasn't politicians. It was a voter initiative that passed so the state had no choice but to implement it.

It seems like plastering these warnings on everything kind of dilutes the entire reason to have a cancer warning in the first place.

Just like everyone get a medal because they participated, and the real shining stars don't get recognized for how well they did, or the boy who cried wolf one to many times.

It waters down the warning.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

It seems like plastering these warnings on everything kind of dilutes the entire reason to have a cancer warning in the first place.

Just like everyone get a medal because they participated, and the real shining stars don't get recognized for how well they did, or the boy who cried wolf one to many times.

It waters down the warning.

I won't disagree but one could also say labeling everything is an overreaction or not putting in the effort to determine if their products use items on the list. I also won't deny the list has some questionable materials though. 

The initiative process is common in western states. It has its pro's and con's. In California I think it has been somewhat out of control for a long time. It is good as it allows for direct democracy to override the state legislature when they ignore the populous and do what they want. Its major failing is in a large state like CA it is relatively easy to get find enough people to sign petitions for fringe or not well thought out ideas. It has also become more open to corporate and special interest manipulation in recent years as means to get around the state's business and liability laws which goes against the original intent of the initiative process in the state constitution. Having lived in the state a couple of times I think even with its problems it is a good process. Most initiatives never make it to the ballot or fail the vote and it is a way to correct legislature inaction or overreach. One thing I think that would help is to increase the 5% of the population requirement for petitions to something like 10 or 15 percent to force more thought into initiatives early in the process.

I just read the label on my colonoscopy prep kit.  You guessed it.