Routes for trip to Boston area in May

You are correct about 295 running parallel to the turnpike, you will encounter a lot more on & off ramp traffic on 295 and if there is construction anywhere it will create a little pucker factor and of course more traffic. You will save on tolls that way so either way could be a toss up on what to choose. Be careful and have fun.

Well we made it to Normandy Farms, a great campground, but not without incident. A bit of a rant but not so much this gets moved to the Debate forum. I don't understand how the high tax states can have such terrible roads. I-84 through New York wasn't much better than an unimproved cow path over a rocky wash. Add in the road debris, some of which took out one of our truck tires and the rear taillight, all over the place and I think if we ever have to drive it again I'll buy a Caterpillar bulldozer. To top it off the road side assistance guy for the bridge didn't show up until I was soaked and had changed the tire (not his fault but they could add some signs to let us foreigners know they have road side assistance truck). Now I feel better.

I do want to recommend Colonial Tire & Service in Plainville. They got me in right away this morning to swap the spare tire to the regular rim to get us going for touristy stuff. The new spare tire mounted on the spare rim was ready a couple of hours later. Their prices were fair as well.  

Next up we try I-95 South.  

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

Well we made it to Normandy Farms, a great campground, but not without incident. A bit of a rant but not so much this gets moved to the Debate forum. I don't understand how the high tax states can have such terrible roads. I-84 through New York wasn't much better than an unimproved cow path over a rocky wash. Add in the road debris, some of which took out one of our truck tires and the rear taillight, all over the place and I think if we ever have to drive it again I'll buy a Caterpillar bulldozer. To top it off the road side assistance guy for the bridge didn't show up until I was soaked and had changed the tire (not his fault but they could add some signs to let us foreigners know they have road side assistance truck). Now I feel better.

I do want to recommend Colonial Tire & Service in Plainville. They got me in right away this morning to swap the spare tire to the regular rim to get us going for touristy stuff. The new spare tire mounted on the spare rim was ready a couple of hours later. Their prices were fair as well.  

When you were in Plainville, CT that's where Silvia grew up. You were 30 minutes from me. 

On 5/13/2019 at 9:48 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

When you were in Plainville, CT that's where Silvia grew up. You were 30 minutes from me. 

It was Plainville, MA. It is a 10 minute drive from the campground in Foxborough.

15 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

When do you head south on 95 and are you planning any stops???? We are just minutes off 95 around the De. Md. line 

Since we will be driving on a Friday I expect a long driving day so we are planning to go straight through to Cherry Hill from Massachusetts but I appreciate the offer to say hello. 

6 hours ago, keith_h said:

Since we will be driving on a Friday I expect a long driving day so we are planning to go straight through to Cherry Hill from Massachusetts but I appreciate the offer to say hello. 

Ok, hope the drive goes well, from the Philly area ( which you will be in NJ ) all the way thru our area in De. it can get very hectic on a Friday, do you have EZ Pass, if so when in De. and after the service plaza stay clear of the right hand lane as it will back up for the last 2 exits before the toll, sometimes I have seen it all the way back to the plaza which is a couple of miles. Also don't forget no propane thru the tunnels in Baltimore take 695 east for the Scott Key Bridge then just follow back to 95

On 5/15/2019 at 5:42 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

Ok, hope the drive goes well, from the Philly area ( which you will be in NJ ) all the way thru our area in De. it can get very hectic on a Friday, do you have EZ Pass, if so when in De. and after the service plaza stay clear of the right hand lane as it will back up for the last 2 exits before the toll, sometimes I have seen it all the way back to the plaza which is a couple of miles. Also don't forget no propane thru the tunnels in Baltimore take 695 east for the Scott Key Bridge then just follow back to 95

I've driven the I-95 side a couple of times between Philadelphia and Washington DC without a trailer. This is why I figured I'd try the New Jersey side. I have an EZ Pass. I picked it up due to all of the toll roads and bridges in states north of DC.

I had forgotten about the tunnels thanks for bringing it up as again since I've never towed through that area it is not something I would have thought about.

9 hours ago, keith_h said:

I've driven the I-95 side a couple of times between Philadelphia and Washington DC without a trailer. This is why I figured I'd try the New Jersey side. I have an EZ Pass. I picked it up due to all of the toll roads and bridges in states north of DC.

I had forgotten about the tunnels thanks for bringing it up as again since I've never towed through that area it is not something I would have thought about.

Ok hope your trip goes well today

On 5/13/2019 at 7:20 PM, keith_h said:

Ugh... so sorry to read this.  I agree on the roads.  Some of this country, the roads are insane.  I would recommend that  no one EVER drive on I20 in Louisiana.  Pretty sure that's the section of the state, that broke our leaf spring weld last Spring.  Ridiculous. 

Pray the rest of the trip is damage free!!

Finally settled in back home and fortunately had no other incidents on the trip. I will say I now understand y'alls relief at getting to the Fort after waiting for 3 hours to get onto the GW bridge. Thank goodness for 36 gallon gas tanks. Rene and I have decided if we ever get back up to the NE we are either going to fly or drive there via Canada.

Comparing the two routes other than I-84 through New York the road surfaces weren't that bad and the traffic was lighter than taking I-95 and its parallel toll roads. While it was about 100 miles longer it saved us a few hours of driving time (not counting the flat tire time). Driving down to Washington DC once we got on the NJ turnpike traffic moved smoothly with only a few slow downs in the New York/Newark area. The NJ Turnpike was also a lot less expensive than I had anticipated only costing us $22.50. That is better than the NC 540 toll I paid of $14 for 18 miles (it is rumored to be the most expensive toll road in the country). While the traffic was no relaxing I-85 for the most part it flowed well up until the Washington DC area where I have come to expect slow heavy traffic. So in the end I guess it is a toss up. Since you more or less have to go through New York it becomes a pick your poison traffic, rough roads or fly over.

Overall the trip was enjoyable even with a Nor'easter and cold temperatures. The cooler temps helped make all of the walking we did more enjoyable and there were enough breaks in the rain to be able to see attractions without getting soaked.  The storm surf also made for some great photos when we went down to the Cape. One sad thing though is the Friendly's restaurant that I use to go to as a kid and was still there on our last visit is now a bank so no frappe and grilled roll frank. Enough rambling for now. 

52 minutes ago, keith_h said:

One sad thing though is the Friendly's restaurant that I use to go to as a kid and was still there on our last visit is now a bank so no frappe and grilled roll frank. Enough rambling for now. 

All of the Friendly's in Buffalo recently closed too.  Sad.  

Since my wife and I grew up with Friendly's, we took our girls to one 10 years ago while staying at Normandy Farms.  I remember they had a kid's sundae that looked like a Clown Head...here's a picture I took of the menu when we went.

0kNQZBidJXEgxl6iHYzMP32w5iDE2UB7h7zI6A0I

Well, I offered it to my 3 year old (now 13 y/o), and she started screaming "NOOO!!!!  Not the clown head!  I don't want the clown head!!!"

We almost had to leave the restaurant she was causing such a scene.  I got her to calm down finally and just got her a plain sundae.  I guess that kid doesn't like clowns.  

On 5/13/2019 at 7:20 PM, keith_h said:

I-84 through New York wasn't much better than an unimproved cow path over a rocky wash.

We took it once a few years back.  Worst. Road. EVAH. And we regularly drive all over New England where dodging potholes is an Olympic sport.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Overall the trip was enjoyable even with a Nor'easter and cold temperatures. The cooler temps helped make all of the walking we did more enjoyable and there were enough breaks in the rain to be able to see attractions without getting soaked.  The storm surf also made for some great photos when we went down to the Cape. One sad thing though is the Friendly's restaurant that I use to go to as a kid and was still there on our last visit is now a bank so no frappe and grilled roll frank. Enough rambling for now. 

Glad you had a good trip!  Sorry about the temps.  We apparently only get about 36 hours of spring these days and pretty much jump straight from winter to summer (supposed to be mid-high 80s this weekend)

They've been closing Friendlys all over this area lately.  They closed a very busy one in Nashua recently that had just been recently refurbished.  :(

7 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Well, I offered it to my 3 year old (now 13 y/o), and she started screaming "NOOO!!!!  Not the clown head!  I don't want the clown head!!!"

We almost had to leave the restaurant she was causing such a scene.  I got her to calm down finally and just got her a plain sundae.  I guess that kid doesn't like clowns.  

DH agrees.

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

DH agrees.

Well when you think about it clowns are scary things and are only made worse by clowns like Stephen King's "It".

What I think would have been better is a sundae made out to be a unicorn farting rainbows. I can't think of any young girl that wouldn't like that.

8 hours ago, keith_h said:

Well when you think about it clowns are scary things and are only made worse by clowns like Stephen King's "It".

What I think would have been better is a sundae made out to be a unicorn farting rainbows. I can't think of any young girl that wouldn't like that.

Or a Troll farting glitter!