DVC points for campsite

Many years ago, when we first bought our camper, we were able to use DVC points for campsites at Fort Wilderness.  Back then, they didn't charge the $95 transfer fee when you booked.  Do any of you know if this is still the case?  My youngest daughter and her husband just bought a travel trailer (today!!!) and are thinking about going to Fort Wilderness for a few days around Labor Day.  They want us to come too and bring our RV.  Since we have extra DVC points this year, I was thinking of using points for both reservations.  I'm just trying to figure out if we will have to pay the $95 per campsite fee or not.  And we all know that not all CMs know the rules, so I don't want to get charged the fee if I'm not required to.

9 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Last I read, they waived the $95 transfer fee for the Fort. However, also from what I understand DVC Fort reservations are almost impossible to get.

X2

We have been lucky in the past, using DVC points for a site in FW.  There was no $95 charge to do this.  However, over the past few years, we have not been able to use points.  They play a game like Catch-22.  FW reservations don't have any idea of when you can use points ... call DVC, and DVC tells you that FW has not given them dates when points can be used.  Obviously, this is a bunch of BS.  Someone knows.  We got tired of playing this game and save the points for something else.

IMHO, there is little chance you will be able to use points at FW around a major holiday.  But, good luck and we hope you are successful.

We are DVC members and started camping regularly at Fort Wilderness 4 years ago. In that time I think I have been able to get 2 reservations on points.

I asked a couple of the folks at the DVC kiosks about the small time frame allowed for DVC members to make reservations and was told that since technically Fort Wilderness is not part of the DVC family  we (DVC members) get the table scraps in terms of available reservations. I have complained to whoever will listen but no love.

As such my wife and I have tried a different approach that is working very well.  Since we prefer our rv to the hotel rooms at this point we have leased our yearly points through one of the companies that offer this service.

The result has been that we have no problem making reservations since we are cash customers and the leasing of the points more than covers all of our costs.

A shame that we have to do this but this is the corner that Disney has pushed us into.

8 hours ago, petew said:

We are DVC members and started camping regularly at Fort Wilderness 4 years ago. In that time I think I have been able to get 2 reservations on points.

I asked a couple of the folks at the DVC kiosks about the small time frame allowed for DVC members to make reservations and was told that since technically Fort Wilderness is not part of the DVC family  we (DVC members) get the table scraps in terms of available reservations. I have complained to whoever will listen but no love.

As such my wife and I have tried a different approach that is working very well.  Since we prefer our rv to the hotel rooms at this point we have leased our yearly points through one of the companies that offer this service.

The result has been that we have no problem making reservations since we are cash customers and the leasing of the points more than covers all of our costs.

A shame that we have to do this but this is the corner that Disney has pushed us into.

We buy dvc points almost every year from one of those companies, dvc request and have done so for the last 6-7 years. . 

We have never had any problems renting points from them. 

We have used the same company every time.  

We are planners and plan our trips 9-12 months out.  The only problem we’ve had is that they may not have the points available when we want to book. So we have to change resorts or our plans to accommodate the points they have available.  I’ve thought about using other companies when this happens but I’m a bit reluctant. 

who do you use?

have you had any problems with that company?

We have leased ours out through the DVC Rental Store , Mind you we are not buying points we are leasing them out to the company who then rents them to folks like you.

As a DVC member we cannot use our points at FW until DVC tells us we can which is usually about 3 months out , by that time there are slim pickings for us and you can forget about Christmas.

Cash customers can make reservations a year out  or more . 

59 minutes ago, petew said:

We have leased ours out through the DVC Rental Store , Mind you we are not buying points we are leasing them out to the company who then rents them to folks like you.

As a DVC member we cannot use our points at FW until DVC tells us we can which is usually about 3 months out , 

I heard good things about them.

But they are more expensive than dvc request.

I’ll keep them in mind.  If we can’t rent from dvc request.

55 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I heard good things about them.

But they are more expensive than dvc request.

I’ll keep them in mind.  If we can’t rent from dvc request.

Can you buy points directly from a DVC member...saving you money and the DVC member would make a little more by not paying the middle man?  

23 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Can you buy points directly from a DVC member...saving you money and the DVC member would make a little more by not paying the middle man?  

Yes you can. It’s just hard to find someone who has points they are trying to sell.    I would definitely like to rent someone’s points sometime.