Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Katman1356...Jason

Disney Cruise Line banning Nintendo Switches all together?

Recommended Posts

There is a report in a TA group I am apart of that DCL is no longer allowing Switches to be brought on board at all. It used to be you could not bring the base unit on as if plugged into the TV could interfere with emergency and informational broadcasts but from what I am seeing it is full block now. 

I personally don't agree with it as they are really no different from Tablets and Phones in many ways and there have been no wide spread reports of issues with batteries and such. The owner of the travel agency I work with is actually on the Dream right now and is going to make inquiries. As I hear anything further I will be sure to report back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

There is a report in a TA group I am apart of that DCL is no longer allowing Switches to be brought on board at all. It used to be you could not bring the base unit on as if plugged into the TV could interfere with emergency and informational broadcasts but from what I am seeing it is full block now. 

I personally don't agree with it as they are really no different from Tablets and Phones in many ways and there have been no wide spread reports of issues with batteries and such. The owner of the travel agency I work with is actually on the Dream right now and is going to make inquiries. As I hear anything further I will be sure to report back. 

Thanks for the info. 

But what’s a Nintendo switch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

There is a report in a TA group I am apart of that DCL is no longer allowing Switches to be brought on board at all. It used to be you could not bring the base unit on as if plugged into the TV could interfere with emergency and informational broadcasts but from what I am seeing it is full block now. 

I personally don't agree with it as they are really no different from Tablets and Phones in many ways and there have been no wide spread reports of issues with batteries and such. The owner of the travel agency I work with is actually on the Dream right now and is going to make inquiries. As I hear anything further I will be sure to report back. 

Good to know as we got a switch for Christmas and are talking about a cruise, saying that I haven't decided if it's coming with us to the Fort yet, let alone a cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Thanks for the info. 

But what’s a Nintendo switch?

The Switch is Nintendo's latest gaming system. Maybe 2 years old at this point. It is base don basically a tablet with controllers that can be connected to the tablet or used separately. The tablet also has a dock that charges and connects it via HDMI to your tv. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any update on this? We are headed out on a Star Wars Day at Sea cruise on the 2nd of March and this is vital information. This cruise is to celebrate our daughter's 21st B-Day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Specularius said:

Any update on this? We are headed out on a Star Wars Day at Sea cruise on the 2nd of March and this is vital information. This cruise is to celebrate our daughter's 21st B-Day. 

I havent been able to get an update I trust yet. The owner of the agency was boarding on this day and also saw them taking away a bunch of Switches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Partial update. From what I can find it appears this is only happening on cruises departing Miami and they have also been taking Nintendo DS systems. It is port security that is doing this vs DCL. Still no word on why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 11:06 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

Partial update. From what I can find it appears this is only happening on cruises departing Miami and they have also been taking Nintendo DS systems. It is port security that is doing this vs DCL. Still no word on why. 

That’s fishy... I’d personally feel a little better if it was being held on the ship by DCL than port security. Not questioning your source or anything just if we had a trip planned I think the switch would be staying home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent an email to the cruise line help email. Here is the response I got:

Elizabeth (Disney Cruise Line)

Jan 31, 5:08 PM EST

Dear Specularius,

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist with information regarding bringing electronic items onboard.

Personal, battery-operated DVD players may be brought onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships. 

Gaming units (such as Nintendo, Wii, Nintendo Switch, etc.) are not able to be brought onboard the ships as the equipment may not be compatible with the stateroom televisions. 

Guests can go to Disney's Oceaneer Lab during Family Time to play Wii. Once onboard, please check your Personal Navigator for times. 

If you decide to bring this type of equipment on the ship, it should be carried in a day bag. 

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us. 

Have a Magical Day!

Elizabeth
Email Communications Agent
Disney Cruise Line

*If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and phone number on all correspondence.

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your sailing.

 

 

 

Specularius

Jan 30, 5:48 PM EST

I have heard a rumor that Nintendo Switch handheld gaming devices are now banned from Disney Cruise line ships. Is this true? Should my child leave his Switch at home?

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Beckers said:

That’s fishy... I’d personally feel a little better if it was being held on the ship by DCL than port security. Not questioning your source or anything just if we had a trip planned I think the switch would be staying home.

This is on the PortMiami web page under cruise security..

 

Security procedures, prohibitions and documentation requirements vary by cruise line or destination. Contact your cruise line for details about the specific requirements and restrictions for your itinerary.  Information on travel documentation can also be found here on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection site.

 

And on Disney Cruise web page

Additionally, the following items are restricted for safety reasons and should not be brought on board.

Electronics

  • Blu-ray players
  • DVD
  • Gaming systems such as Playstation®, Xbox and Nintendo Wii (due to compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs)
  • Ham radios
  • Metal detectors
  • Streaming Devices (Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, etc.)
  • VCR

I guess Specularius got the latest unpublished info.

Maybe Switchs are banned because like Jason said because the handhelds can be connected to the TVs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Beckers said:

That’s fishy... I’d personally feel a little better if it was being held on the ship by DCL than port security. Not questioning your source or anything just if we had a trip planned I think the switch would be staying home.

It's all logged in an tagged to the person. As far as I know it stays at the port in a holding area. I imagine if they manage to "loose" something in this area in this way there would be a lot of issues caused by it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 9:51 AM, Katman1356...Jason said:

It's all logged in an tagged to the person. As far as I know it stays at the port in a holding area. I imagine if they manage to "loose" something in this area in this way there would be a lot of issues caused by it. 

I think everybody is a Disney Emply at Canaveral. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

So far as I can tell though they are not pulling them. Only in Miami. 

Missed that post, but as I understand security only pulls what DCL tells them to. Could it be the technology on the ship causing the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×