I thought this was already mentioned, but I searched and couldn't find it.

If it's a duplicate, admins go ahead and delete it.

Bet it's a lot more $$$ than the ETSY sellers.

Disney Parks Authentic Custom T-Shirts and Gear Now Available on ShopDisney.com

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/01/disney-parks-authentic-custom-t-shirts-and-gear-now-available-on-shopdisney-com/

If you’re planning a vacation to Disneyland Resort or Walt Disney World Resort this year, ShopDisney.com now offers options for adding a personal touch to your trip down Main Street, U.S.A. with new Disney Parks customizable t-shirts and gear.

Kids wearing Disney Parks Authentic Custom T-Shirts and Gear from shopDisney.com

Created especially for the online store, the authentic apparel and gear contains exclusive artwork with intricate details and designs. You’ll find several art styles featuring Mickey Mouse and friends along with icons from Disney Parks such as Sleeping Beauty Castle or Cinderella Castle.

Family wearing Disney Parks Authentic Custom T-Shirts and Gear from shopDisney.com at Magic Kingdom Park

Adding personalization to merchandise with official Disney fonts is easy to do. Once you have found the item you want to personalize, just check the “Add Personalization” box. A pop-up box will appear where you can add your family’s name. Please note that we can personalize with letters and numbers only, no special characters. Also, personalized items can’t be returned once shipped.

Custom T-shirt options from shopDisney.com

Shirts are offered in multiple colors and styles for adults and kids including short and long-sleeved options, raglan shirts, ringer tees, sweatshirts and more. My partners with the online store also shared even more options will be added this spring, so keep watching Disney Parks Blog for details.

To get started with creating your personalized apparel, please visit ShopDisney.com.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

I thought this was already mentioned, but I searched and couldn't find it.

If it's a duplicate, admins go ahead and delete it.

Bet it's a lot more $$$ than the ETSY sellers.

Disney Parks Authentic Custom T-Shirts and Gear Now Available on ShopDisney.com

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/01/disney-parks-authentic-custom-t-shirts-and-gear-now-available-on-shopdisney-com/

If you’re planning a vacation to Disneyland Resort or Walt Disney World Resort this year, ShopDisney.com now offers options for adding a personal touch to your trip down Main Street, U.S.A. with new Disney Parks customizable t-shirts and gear.

Kids wearing Disney Parks Authentic Custom T-Shirts and Gear from shopDisney.com

Created especially for the online store, the authentic apparel and gear contains exclusive artwork with intricate details and designs. You’ll find several art styles featuring Mickey Mouse and friends along with icons from Disney Parks such as Sleeping Beauty Castle or Cinderella Castle.

Family wearing Disney Parks Authentic Custom T-Shirts and Gear from shopDisney.com at Magic Kingdom Park

Adding personalization to merchandise with official Disney fonts is easy to do. Once you have found the item you want to personalize, just check the “Add Personalization” box. A pop-up box will appear where you can add your family’s name. Please note that we can personalize with letters and numbers only, no special characters. Also, personalized items can’t be returned once shipped.

Custom T-shirt options from shopDisney.com

Shirts are offered in multiple colors and styles for adults and kids including short and long-sleeved options, raglan shirts, ringer tees, sweatshirts and more. My partners with the online store also shared even more options will be added this spring, so keep watching Disney Parks Blog for details.

To get started with creating your personalized apparel, please visit ShopDisney.com.

We have a friend that makes custom Disney shirts and magic band covers and sells them on Etsy.  She gets $20+ for shirts.  It depends on the quality of the shirt. 

So disney prices don’t seem to out of line with Etsy.  Or at least our friend.   She does awesome work and even her $20 shirts are good quality.   She’s made several shirts for us.  And magic band decals. 

53 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I wonder if the Mouse is jumping into this market with plans to go after the Etsy and similar sellers for license infringement.  They obviously see all the folks at the parks wearing custom shirts, and must be feeling they are missing out on a huge revenue stream.  

They do already but I am sure the latest big round is coming. 

55 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I wonder if the Mouse is jumping into this market with plans to go after the Etsy and similar sellers for license infringement.  They obviously see all the folks at the parks wearing custom shirts, and must be feeling they are missing out on a huge revenue stream.  

1 minute ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

They do already but I am sure the latest big round is coming. 

I can see them going after copy-written art but Is the Disney font, copyrighted?

can you copywrite a font?

14 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

It's all available on "Share ware" including the Walt O Graph Font, but not to be used for profit. 

I guess the laws have changed.

back in school we didn’t have the 1000’s of different fonts to choose from.   So no one probably cared. 

There was a FB post where someone kept saying Disney sued and won a very large award against someone selling Disney themed merchandise on Etsy or somewhere else.  People kept asking where the poster got the info and eventually the admin closed the thread.  I remember right after we moved to FL 40 years ago Disney went after a day care in Clearwater for having Disney characters on a wall mural inside their building. And they weren’t even that well done.  They seem to be fickle on who they go after.

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I guess the laws have changed.

back in school we didn’t have the 1000’s of different fonts to choose from.   So no one probably cared. 

Here's info from one of the font sites, note the Font License.

Designer Name: Justin Callaghan
Font License: Free for Personal Use
50 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Here's info from one of the font sites, note the Font License.

Designer Name: Justin Callaghan
Font License: Free for Personal Use

Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine.  He’s a published author ,  not a copyright attorney. 

From his understanding fonts can  be copyrighted.  But type faces can’t.  So if your not using someone else’s font but create your own font or typeface, You can create a saying, that is not trademarked, and put it on a shirt and sell it. 

17 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

They may decide it's easy to run out the Etsy vendors doing stuff like this by simply eating up the marketplace themselves.  That way you don't need to have lawyers chasing down hundreds of little crafters, you just create a similar "officially licensed" product that's similarly priced, easy to order, and that you can market like a champion.

16 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

It's all available on "Share ware" including the Walt O Graph Font, but not to be used for profit. 

And in the font/clipart/stock image world "for profit" = using it on a t-shirt (or any other product) that you're selling.  So theoretically the creator of that font could go after anyone that uses it on stuff they sell - but in reality that seems unlikely.  Although places like Etsy make it easier for graphic designers to track down people using their work illegally and I have heard of plenty of people that get "cease and desist" orders - and harassed mercilessly on social media - when they get caught.

12 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine.  He’s a published author ,  not a copyright attorney. 

From his understanding fonts can  be copyrighted.  But type faces can’t.  So if your not using someone else’s font but create your own font or typeface, You can create a saying, that is not trademarked, and put it on a shirt and sell it. 

Even if you use a font that isn't copyrighted, if you create one and use it in a way that looks extremely similar to a copyrighted/trademarked brand, you can still run into trouble.

These days it's super easy to draw up a font that looks exactly like a brand font and call it "yours" - the freebie font sites are full of them.  In those cases it has more to do with how you use them... and how aggressive the brand's legal department is.

2 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

They may decide it's easy to run out the Etsy vendors doing stuff like this by simply eating up the marketplace themselves.  That way you don't need to have lawyers chasing down hundreds of little crafters, you just create a similar "officially licensed" product that's similarly priced, easy to order, and that you can market like a champion.

Or they just go after Etsy and force them to screen their sellers.  It sounds like items with just words in a Disney-looking font may be ok, but there are lots of items for sale online using likeness of Mickey, other characters and licensed images.  

Now, I personally don't think Disney should do that.  Sure, people buying from someone online may take a way a sale from Disney, but the more people that wear shirts with Mickey on them, the more walking billboards for the Disney brand there are in the world.  Perhaps Disney has no interest in changing that, and they simply want to offer their own customized wear to pick up a piece of the pie.  But their history does make me wonder whether they will attempt a crackdown.    

4 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Or they just go after Etsy and force them to screen their sellers. 

I doubt that will happen.  Etsy already covers intellectual property rights in their terms of service for sellers and has a mechanism in place for reporting it.  Disney could very easily file complaints if they wanted to.

4 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Now, I personally don't think Disney should do that.  Sure, people buying from someone online may take a way a sale from Disney, but the more people that wear shirts with Mickey on them, the more walking billboards for the Disney brand there are in the world.  

Free advertising!! 

I do think you're right that this is a "piece of the pie" thing.  Custom shirts is something super easy for them to do and they already know there's a big market for it.

On 1/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, DaveInTN said:

I think they have been going after sellers for quite some time. Here's a link to a DIS discussion on this a few years back. https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-closing-etsy-shops.3323326/   It appears that one of the ways that Disney (and other companies for that matter) go after folks is by sending them a letter after Disney is notified by someone else - the someone else being a competitor of the offender. The assumption is that competitors file complaints to Disney, and then Disney shuts it down. There are still many, many out there using Disney Trademarks and names, and the number grows daily.

4 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I doubt that will happen.  Etsy already covers intellectual property rights in their terms of service for sellers and has a mechanism in place for reporting it.  Disney could very easily file complaints if they wanted to.

Free advertising!! 

I do think you're right that this is a "piece of the pie" thing.  Custom shirts is something super easy for them to do and they already know there's a big market for it.

The free advertising advantage has to be weighed with dilution of the brand. For example, there are some really great vloggers out there these days. But many of them are rather meh to say the least.

Sometimes you will hear them talk about Disney in  a way that suggests that they actually represent Disney in some way, or have some sort of superior knowledge - in a way that crosses the "editorial" line. My guess is that some folks in Disney PR find these cringe-worthy, and may eventually act.

12 hours ago, Strawberry Moon said:

The free advertising advantage has to be weighed with dilution of the brand. For example, there are some really great vloggers out there these days. But many of them are rather meh to say the least.

Sometimes you will hear them talk about Disney in  a way that suggests that they actually represent Disney in some way, or have some sort of superior knowledge - in a way that crosses the "editorial" line. My guess is that some folks in Disney PR find these cringe-worthy, and may eventually act.

Good points and I suspect with all this it comes down to how much time, effort and $$ Disney thinks is worth shutting them down. If they wanted to they could probably keep an entire department of people busy full-time chasing this stuff down.

They've gone after some bigger fish in the past several years.  They shut down the companies that were gaming the ADR system and went after anyone using "Disney" in their domain names... but in those cases they were companies essentially making their business off Disney's intellectual property. 

14 hours ago, Strawberry Moon said:

I think they have been going after sellers for quite some time. Here's a link to a DIS discussion on this a few years back. https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-closing-etsy-shops.3323326/   It appears that one of the ways that Disney (and other companies for that matter) go after folks is by sending them a letter after Disney is notified by someone else - the someone else being a competitor of the offender. The assumption is that competitors file complaints to Disney, and then Disney shuts it down. There are still many, many out there using Disney Trademarks and names, and the number grows daily.

I think line may have a lot to do with who they look at.

I've seen posts about goods and services (not Disney) deleted from Craigslist because a competitor writes to the admins with a variety of unfounded complaints.

Or someone that writes to Disney complaining about "shoddy merchandise" they bought from a non Disney company and is looking for compensation.

Seems like you are limited to what you can get customized

Magic in the details

Created especially for Walt Disney World Resort

• Personalize family surname only up to nine characters, including spaces
  • Available in five colors
  • Ribbed crew neck
  • Screen art of Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Chip 'n Dale, and Walt Disney World Resort attractions
  • Screen text featuring ''Family Vacation 2019'' and ''Walt Disney World'' may not be customized