I don't know about you, but..........

1 hour ago, rtguy007 said:

Sign me up....I need a break from this crappy weather. 50s yesterday, 60s today, tomorrow high 20s. Been snow and rain constantly for days.

Will be back up in the 70's almost 80 starting tomorrow here in Tampa.  It's been the high 60's low 70's the last couple of days after our deep freeze last week of low 40's a couple mornings.  Brrrr

PS, I had a bandanna on Sunday doing yard work, because i was sweating so bad...

7 hours ago, Travisma said:

Will be back up in the 70's almost 80 starting tomorrow here in Tampa.  It's been the high 60's low 70's the last couple of days after our deep freeze last week of low 40's a couple mornings.  Brrrr

PS, I had a bandanna on Sunday doing yard work, because i was sweating so bad...

Saw an 82 temp in the car today.  Thought about washing the car, might take a nap instead.

13 hours ago, Travisma said:

I am still trying to convince my wife to move to Florida. So far it looks like retirement is when that may happen in at least 20 years. This weather is driving me nuts. Its starting to cool down and it has been pouring down rain for abour 2 hours and on and off all day. My yard has a lake in the back now.

10 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

I am still trying to convince my wife to move to Florida. So far it looks like retirement is when that may happen in at least 20 years. This weather is driving me nuts. Its starting to cool down and it has been pouring down rain for abour 2 hours and on and off all day. My yard has a lake in the back now.

If you can get things lined up... job, housing, etc. I wouldn't wait until retirement.  But, make sure you visit FL in the summer before deciding to move.  Get to experience 95 degree weather with 99% humidity and daily summer thunderstorms!

It was just the two of us when we moved from NY to FL.  I had a job lined up, we owned a mobile home in NY that a friend lived in until we sold it.  We loaded up our van and a U-Haul trailer and headed south just in front of a major snow storm.  Some items we stored at my moms.  Left all our family up there, which was the hardest part.

About a month after we got to Tampa, we found out my wife was about 7 weeks pregnant.  If we had delayed our move, we probably would've never left NY.

23 hours ago, Travisma said:

If you can get things lined up... job, housing, etc. I wouldn't wait until retirement.  But, make sure you visit FL in the summer before deciding to move.  Get to experience 95 degree weather with 99% humidity and daily summer thunderstorms!

It was just the two of us when we moved from NY to FL.  I had a job lined up, we owned a mobile home in NY that a friend lived in until we sold it.  We loaded up our van and a U-Haul trailer and headed south just in front of a major snow storm.  Some items we stored at my moms.  Left all our family up there, which was the hardest part.

About a month after we got to Tampa, we found out my wife was about 7 weeks pregnant.  If we had delayed our move, we probably would've never left NY.

We have a few things keeping us in Ohio but I do want to get there before retirement. My mother in law is here and would be by herself if we left. My kids are still in school as well and we dont want to uproot them. My existing job will allow me to work from home anywhere I live but my wifes wont.

We started looking around areas last time we were there for if/when we get to relocate. We drove down to Ft Myers/Cape Coral/Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda last time we were there. The time before that we looked around New Port Richie area where my grandfather lived for a few years. We have a few more trips planned this year and I am hoping to look over in the Sanford/Deltona area to see what it is like. I would like to stay near Orlando but far enough away so I wont need to deal with the traffic daily. We live out in the country today but the wife wants to live closer to civilization if we move again.

Realistically we will probably live there for 9 to 10 months of the year and the other 2 to 3 will be up north or wherever the kids land when they get older.

40 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

We have a few things keeping us in Ohio but I do want to get there before retirement. My mother in law is here and would be by herself if we left. My kids are still in school as well and we dont want to uproot them. My existing job will allow me to work from home anywhere I live but my wifes wont.

We started looking around areas last time we were there for if/when we get to relocate. We drove down to Ft Myers/Cape Coral/Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda last time we were there. The time before that we looked around New Port Richie area where my grandfather lived for a few years. We have a few more trips planned this year and I am hoping to look over in the Sanford/Deltona area to see what it is like. I would like to stay near Orlando but far enough away so I wont need to deal with the traffic daily. We live out in the country today but the wife wants to live closer to civilization if we move again.

Realistically we will probably live there for 9 to 10 months of the year and the other 2 to 3 will be up north or wherever the kids land when they get older.

What did you think of the Fort Myers area?  Particularly the Ft Myers Beach area.

That’s were we plan on going to next to check it out.  

Our goal is to have a small house or condo, or if I can talk my DW into it, and RV.   That we can live at from Christmas till spring in Florida and than be back in Oklahoma for the rest of the year. 

I want to be a snow bird  😂 

We would rent out the Florida house or condo the rest of the year.  So we are focusing our search in resort/beach areas. 

21 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

What did you think of the Fort Myers area?  Particularly the Ft Myers Beach area.

That’s were we plan on going to next to check it out.  

Our goal is to have a small house or condo, or if I can talk my DW into it, and RV.   That we can live at from Christmas till spring in Florida and than be back in Oklahoma for the rest of the year. 

I want to be a snow bird  😂 

We would rent out the Florida house or condo the rest of the year.  So we are focusing our search in resort/beach areas. 

We didnt make it down to the beach or south Ft Myers. North Ft Myers we didnt care for at all. We spent most of our time driving from random house on realtor.com to another house we foind on realtor.com just getting to see what was between point a and b. We liked some areas around Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. I would like to check out the beaches area as well as the soutthern side of Ft Myers and down to the Naples area at some point. That may be for our trip in 2020.

On a side note, I do have an idea for a lot of those open lots in Leheigh Acres if I can figure out all of the logistics. My wife thought I was crazy. Lehiegh Acres is just plain wierd when you drive through it. Or what there is of it.

2 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

We didnt make it down to the beach or south Ft Myers. North Ft Myers we didnt care for at all. We spent most of our time driving from random house on realtor.com to another house we foind on realtor.com just getting to see what was between point a and b. We liked some areas around Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. I would like to check out the beaches area as well as the soutthern side of Ft Myers and down to the Naples area at some point. That may be for our trip in 2020.

On a side note, I do have an idea for a lot of those open lots in Leheigh Acres if I can figure out all of the logistics. My wife thought I was crazy. Lehiegh Acres is just plain wierd when you drive through it. Or what there is of it.

I had to look up where Lehiegh Acres is at.  Looks like a nice area.

And did a quick search on Zillow. There are a lot of houses  for sale in that $100/ sq ft range.  That’s cheap!   But I think it would be to far from the beach for us and therefore make it harder to rent as a weekly/monthly vacation home.

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I had to look up where Lehiegh Acres is at.  Looks like a nice area.

And did a quick search on Zillow. There are a lot of houses  for sale in that $100/ sq ft range.  That’s cheap!   But I think it would be to far from the beach for us and therefore make it harder to rent as a weekly/monthly vacation home.

Its a really odd place. We drove by a really nice house over there and then a block away from it in every direction looked like a deserted development. There is a history down there that I wont get into but when we drove through there were a lot of empty parcels of land for sale. It seems like miles and miles of emtpy city blocks with a house here and a house there.

I've always had a morbid fascination with failed development.   There are a lot of examples of such communities from the era leading up to the 2008 real estate collapse, especially in Florida, Vegas, Arizona and similar places.  Lehigh Acres is particularly large.   

Have you ever heard of California City?  It was developed in the 1960s, or at least they tried, but it is massive!  A handful of people live there among the ruins of what was laid out.   I guess it's a good place for someone wanting to disconnect from society. 

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I've always had a morbid fascination with failed development.   There are a lot of examples of such communities from the era leading up to the 2008 real estate collapse, especially in Florida, Vegas, Arizona and similar places.  Lehigh Acres is particularly large.   

Have you ever heard of California City?  It was developed in the 1960s, or at least they tried, but it is massive!  A handful of people live there among the ruins of what was laid out.   I guess it's a good place for someone wanting to disconnect from society. 

Heard of it?  I’ve been there.   As a Boy Scout we used to go to the area to watch the space shuttle land.   A lot of people that work at Edwards Air Force base live there. 

Have you ever heard of the Salton Sea in California?

If not google it. It’s pretty interesting because man tried to control Mother Nature but she won. 

3 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Heard of it?  I’ve been there.   As a Boy Scout we used to go to the area to watch the space shuttle land.   A lot of people that work at Edwards Air Force base live there. 

Have you ever heard of the Salton Sea in California?

If not google it. It’s pretty interesting because man tried to control Mother Nature but she won. 

Yeah the Salton Sea is another interesting place.   Lots of abandoned resort properties from the 60s before the lake went putrid.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:42 AM, rtguy007 said:

If anyone wants to rent out homes to vacationers part of the year, then you are correct about being near a beach area or Disney.

I personally don't like the Fort Myers, Cape Coral Naples areas.  They have really grown and traffic is bad just about anywhere in those areas.  And we won't discuss SE Fl around the Miami areas.

Vero and Fort Pierce are nice.  Haven't been there in a few years, so they have probably grown a lot since then.

Any of the beachfront towns are going to be $$$$$ to buy, crowded, and impossible to get around in the summer months.  Also you have a higher probability of storm damages.

If you want real Florida, look around the middle of the state, the areas around 27, 98, 33.  Zolfo Springs, WinterHaven Bowling Green, etc.  Not a lot around there, but still close enough to the bigger cities.  27 above I-4 has grown a lot.  

Check out the Auburndale area.

25 minutes ago, Travisma said:

If anyone wants to rent out homes to vacationers part of the year, then you are correct about being near a beach area or Disney.

I personally don't like the Fort Myers, Cape Coral Naples areas.  They have really grown and traffic is bad just about anywhere in those areas.  And we won't discuss SE Fl around the Miami areas.

Vero and Fort Pierce are nice.  Haven't been there in a few years, so they have probably grown a lot since then.

Any of the beachfront towns are going to be $$$$$ to buy, crowded, and impossible to get around in the summer months.  Also you have a higher probability of storm damages.

If you want real Florida, look around the middle of the state, the areas around 27, 98, 33.  Zolfo Springs, WinterHaven Bowling Green, etc.  Not a lot around there, but still close enough to the bigger cities.  27 above I-4 has grown a lot.  

Check out the Auburndale area.

I agree, I live in the Fort  Meade- Bowling Green area would not even consider living in a tourist area, although we do get a lot of snowbirds in the winter time. Florida is narrow enough that I can get to either coast in about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Check out Homeland, Florida, small community, close to Bartow, Winter Haven, and Lakeland, not far from Tampa and very friendly people. I live just south of there and if had to move would be my next choice. Also the center of Florida is close to it. (about 5 miles away) Disney World is only 60 miles away also.