22 minutes ago, Strawberry Moon said:

What does this group know, if anything, about the lost Jack Russell named Abby in the Fort? There's an entire Facebook page for her now (Abby Jack Russell), she's been lost in Fort Wilderness since November, and is spotted everyday, but can't be caught . . .

Mostly white, with some black spots, and maybe some tan on the face.

I've seen the same posts.  Not exactly sure what the Fort management is attempting to do to catch her.

Most of the posts seem to be from other campers.

I don't know anything but there is an organization active in this area that has had amazing success locating lost dogs for many years now.  Their website has lots of great tips on how to locate and recover a lost dog...

https://www.granitestatedogrecovery.com/

They say the worst thing you can do is approach or even try and call to the dog, as lost dogs often go into survival mode and may not even come to people they know, never mind perfect strangers.  I don't know if there's an organization like that near Disney, but if this dog has been on the loose for months, trapping is likely the best option.

22 hours ago, Strawberry Moon said:

Yes, it is kind of puzzling it has gone on for so long.

Agreed... I thought so too.

22 hours ago, Travisma said:

I've seen the same posts.  Not exactly sure what the Fort management is attempting to do to catch her.

Most of the posts seem to be from other campers.

I think the owners are local?  If so, it seems odd that so many campers report sightings...but the owners can't spend a day or two out there and find her?  I know the Fort is large but...?  Either way,  hopefully the pup is caught soon.   People must be feeding her.

19 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

They say the worst thing you can do is approach or even try and call to the dog, as lost dogs often go into survival mode and may not even come to people they know, never mind perfect strangers.  I don't know if there's an organization like that near Disney, but if this dog has been on the loose for months, trapping is likely the best option.

Agreed.

23 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I think the owners are local?  If so, it seems odd that so many campers report sightings...but the owners can't spend a day or two out there and find her?  I know the Fort is large but...?  Either way,  hopefully the pup is caught soon.   People must be feeding her.

According to the dog recovery people most dogs go into survival mode at some point and won't even come to their owners if they're out pursing them.

Frequent sightings are great - it means she's sticking around the same area and probably that she's getting food somehow.

If they were allowed to get a trap setup near where she's been sighted in an area people won't disturb it, and people know to leave her alone, they could likely trap her fairly quickly.

The problem with trapping in an area like the Fort is you tend to trap other wildlife as well. The same foods used to bait the dog are also appealing to raccoons and possums not to mention other critters. We've been there with trying to remove a litter of feral cats that were causing us problems. Nothing like an angry possum letting you know it isn't happy from inside the cage trap. I think the dog will be hard to catch unless someone can befriend it and gain its trust.

As long as sympathetic campers are feeding it, the probability of trapping it is pretty remote 

11 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

So this dog is living at the Fort free of charge, getting food handouts and not having to work for months on end?  If you had figured out how to get away with that, would you want to be caught? 

Yeah, no crap. The owners probably kept it caged all day and dressed it in silly outfits. Little dude finally had enough and said "peace out". Now he is hanging out with raccoons, rabbits, and gators all day. Then raiding the trash and campsites at night like the little boss that he is.

On 2/9/2019 at 3:36 PM, keith_h said:

The problem with trapping in an area like the Fort is you tend to trap other wildlife as well. The same foods used to bait the dog are also appealing to raccoons and possums not to mention other critters. We've been there with trying to remove a litter of feral cats that were causing us problems. Nothing like an angry possum letting you know it isn't happy from inside the cage trap. I think the dog will be hard to catch unless someone can befriend it and gain its trust.

Yeah even up this way the dog recovery groups have to deal with trapping things other than the dog they're after. Possums are a challenge, and skunks are... um, fun. They mostly make it work by monitoring and resetting the traps regularly (including setting up cameras), but that requires time and manpower pretty much every single day. 

According to them the longer a dog is out roaming, the less likely it is that they'll come to anyone, even someone that's feeding them.  There have been a few cases where someone feeding the dog had a fenced yard and was able to close a gate and snag them, but the majority of the dogs they recover are trapped - some that have even been on the loose for many many months.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:30 PM, DaveInTN said:

So this dog is living at the Fort free of charge, getting food handouts and not having to work for months on end?  If you had figured out how to get away with that, would you want to be caught? 

That settles it.  I'm going to conveniently "go missing" after WWW.  I'm taking a spoon with me - please leave your crockpots on the picnic table unlocked.

Our crazy dog is part Jack Russell and part corgi and the stubbornist creature I've ever seen. His favorite game is to evade capture.  He knows the commands to stay and come but if he doesn't want to, he doesn't.  He gets what I call his crazy eyes and I know he's going to keep doing what he wants to do (which is the reason he was bitten by a copperhead snake he wouldn't leave alone a couple of years ago).   He stays in our large fenced yard, the house or on a leash. We never let him loose because we live near woods and I doubt we'd see him again because there is too much to pursue out there. So I can easily understand how this dog has been roaming the Fort loose for so long.  But I hope someone is able to get her home soon. 

I bet someone could get away with stealth camping at FW for a while. You could just move a tent around every few days and place it in between 2 sites along the canals. Or go totally stealth with a small camo tent in the woods, go in and out of the tent at dark, carry a backpack with a change of clothes to the comfort station, and just chill at the pool and marina all day.

4 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I bet someone could get away with stealth camping at FW for a while. You could just move a tent around every few days and place it in between 2 sites along the canals. Or go totally stealth with a small camo tent in the woods, go in and out of the tent at dark, carry a backpack with a change of clothes to the comfort station, and just chill at the pool and marina all day.

Interesting adventure. Wonder if anyone has ever done this. Maybe loop 1900?

16 minutes ago, Strawberry Moon said:

Interesting adventure. Wonder if anyone has ever done this. Maybe loop 1900?

Published on Dec 20, 2017

Is stealth camping possible in Disney World? Who would ask such a silly question? Well, me... And the answer is yes. You can both sneak into Disney World and camp for free. This episode of Backpack America covers a 3 day period where I camped for free in Disney World, somewhere in the Fort Wilderness area, and spent almost no money. (Well, it was $15 for soda and snacks.) This doesn't get you into the Magic Kingdom or Epcot Center, or any of the other parks. But it does give you lots of the Disney experience. So it is possible to be homeless in Disney.
45 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Is stealth camping possible in Disney World? Who would ask such a silly question? Well, me... And the answer is yes. You can both sneak into Disney World and camp for free. This episode of Backpack America covers a 3 day period where I camped for free in Disney World, somewhere in the Fort Wilderness area, and spent almost no money. (Well, it was $15 for soda and snacks.) This doesn't get you into the Magic Kingdom or Epcot Center, or any of the other parks. But it does give you lots of the Disney experience. So it is possible to be homeless in Disney.

I actually made this comment to Disney, when I wrote in after this last visit.  Disney called me and I spoke with a CM in their "executive office" (not sure if that was true or not) and told her that on our last visit, I saw a tent behind the 700/800 loop in the dog walk area.  As to which site the tent belonged to... who the heck knows.  "Hard to say if it belonged to any site", is exactly what I said to her.  The tent was super small so I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit it into a backpack. 

5 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I actually made this comment to Disney, when I wrote in after this last visit.  Disney called me and I spoke with a CM in their "executive office" (not sure if that was true or not) and told her that on our last visit, I saw a tent behind the 700/800 loop in the dog walk area.  As to which site the tent belonged to... who the heck knows.  "Hard to say if it belonged to any site", is exactly what I said to her.  The tent was super small so I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit it into a backpack. 

I remember an article a couple years ago about a couple of guys staying at the hotels for free by using bogus credit cards. 

Not exactly sure how they did it.

But as we all know, if there is a legitimate way of doing something, someone will find a way to do it without paying/following the rules.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

If I were trespassing on Disney property in such a manner as depicted in that video, I wouldn't brag about it on YouTube.  

Idiot.  

If I were Disney I'd be having one of my junior associates in the legal department send him a nastygram informing him if he trespasses on my property again I'd be pursuing all legal action afforded by local and state statutes. 

3 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

If I were trespassing on Disney property in such a manner as depicted in that video, I wouldn't brag about it on YouTube.  

Idiot.  

If I were Disney I'd be having one of my junior associates in the legal department send him a nastygram informing him if he trespasses on my property again I'd be pursuing all legal action afforded by local and state statutes. 

Seriously.  And I'd be willing to bet that he did indeed get trespassed.  Partly for actually doing this, and partly for encouraging others by posting on the interwebz.

*smh*

I just don't understand these younger people (oh my gosh am I that old that I'm starting to sound like my parents?). In my day when we found a free way into a place or could sneak into areas we shouldn't be we kept it to ourselves so it wouldn't get found out. I mean what good are they if you can't use them again?

4 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I just don't understand these younger people (oh my gosh am I that old that I'm starting to sound like my parents?). In my day when we found a free way into a place or could sneak into areas we shouldn't be we kept it to ourselves so it wouldn't get found out. I mean what good are they if you can't use them again?

Yup, you never disclose where your favorite fishing hole is, or hunting spot, or best site at FW!

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

... In my day when we found a free way into a place or could sneak into areas we shouldn't be we kept it to ourselves so it wouldn't get found out. I mean what good are they if you can't use them again?

Yep.  I blame social media, which has made it a bigger deal to brag about the thing you found and get a few thousand likes than keep enjoying the thing.

(and yeah... I find myself sounding more and more like my parents every day... *blurg*)

50 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Yep.  I blame social media, which has made it a bigger deal to brag about the thing you found and get a few thousand likes than keep enjoying the thing.

Isn't it amazing, what people put out there?  It's odd actually.

5 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Idiot.  

I thought this exact thing.

From a FB page Tuesday night about 9 or 10

Good News! Disney just caught Abby the lost dog. Used a cage trap chicken& ribs. She was very calm in the cage. They had her a few minutes ago in 1800 by the greenway.  She is finally going home. Please spread the word...😀

Has been loose since Thanksgiving