We found out by a process of elimination that beef makes my lab itch and his hair fall out, so we feed him venision or salmon for the base of his food. I use either Nature's Choice or Beneful, whichever I can get my hands on. I try to switch between the venison and the salmon so I don't have to "entice" him to eat his food by adding stuff. If he sees a change, he will gobble it up.

I also use a prescription shampoo called Pharmaseb to bathe him in to help with the itching in case someone (like at the bank or at a store) gives him a biscuit that has beef in it and I don't catch it. He stays with my parents during the day at her office and people bring him treats.

you know rob, you can have your lab shaved. they are kind of neat when they get haircuts. trust me-it helps a lot with the shedding. i used to help our groomer and i was surprised to see her clip a lab,golden rtvr, etc. the goldens look like labs when they are done. :)

we use wellness lamb super5 mix. expensive but, our bichons are prone to allergies. blue buffalo is also good food. we have tried it. but, when i open the wellness -- it really does smell like food. i know strange, but it does smell a lot better than most bagged foods. mellow.gif

another thing that helps with lab's shedding is a horse hair brush, used every day

even though my current lab has a very thin coat compared to most labs, he still sheds quite a bit...i pull out that brush and get some hair off that dog every day....it really helps and the dog loves it...they sell them at petsmart, here is a pic

pPETS-3759402t400.jpg

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750653