• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I check out the Fort Wilderness facebook pages, I can't bring myself to participate.  All they seem to concentrate on is how to game the system, and also the latest fad they "must do".  That is

Sometime's when it's time to turn the page to another chapter in life, we resist mightily.  We are supposed to move on to a new, exciting phase in our lives, but we can't get there if we hang on to th

You're still a FORT FIEND... We haven't camped for 2 yrs, but everybody's still stuck with me posting....😂

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Predictions are in excess of 150,000 per day at DHS once GE opens.

I haven't been paying attention. When is it supposed to open ?  I have a tentative trip planned to the Fort in mid-October (my long planned "empty nester" trip). I don't care about Star Wars (sorry) and construction and huge crowds may make me rethink my timing.

4 minutes ago, Seals said:

I haven't been paying attention. When is it supposed to open ?  I have a tentative trip planned to the Fort in mid-October (my long planned "empty nester" trip). I don't care about Star Wars (sorry) and construction and huge crowds may make me rethink my timing.

Supposed to open this fall.  We have reservations for November and am hoping everybody flocks to HS and we go everywhere else.

Well, we don't plan on selling either of our campers soon.  We hve a 35' TT for long trips and an Aliner fro short trips or the camping we prefer, up into national forest land.

This is our year for Disney.  We have Annual Passes this year that expire in October.  We will get our moneys worth out of them, but not renew.  While we will return, the trips will be sporadic and few & far between.  When a trip to sandals or a Cruise can become cost effective compared to a Disney camping trip you know the world is standing on it's head.....

20 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Supposed to open this fall.  We have reservations for November and am hoping everybody flocks to HS and we go everywhere else.

But what will be the impact on the other parks? Will resources (CMs) be re-direct to HS and therefore longer waits, etc. at rides in the other 3 parks.  This will be my first trip in 3 years and I hoped also to resort hop and go to Disney Springs. Now I'm worried they will be super crowded too.  

6 minutes ago, Seals said:

But what will be the impact on the other parks? Will resources (CMs) be re-direct to HS and therefore longer waits, etc. at rides in the other 3 parks.  This will be my first trip in 3 years and I hoped also to resort hop and go to Disney Springs. Now I'm worried they will be super crowded too.  

Based on previous openings before my wife retired, they won't redirect cast members to HS.  Rather they will add overtime lines, which are open to cast members looking to pick up extra lines.  My wife did it all of the time.  I do think for the first month or two at least, that so many people will come and find HS too crowded and then head to another park.  I'm sure we will probably be blocked out on the silver pass from HS for quite a while.

21 hours ago, tim5055 said:

When a trip to sandals or a Cruise can become cost effective compared to a Disney camping trip you know the world is standing on it's head.....

Amen. 

Now that our kids are almost too old to want to travel with us, my wife and I are finding we really get to enjoy a great vacation for 2 at Disney for what a vacation for 4 costs.  More fun for us but no real savings.  

With rising cost, it has been 2 years since we visited the Fort.  Between the cost of the tickets and campsites, it has gotten out of hand.  My daughter, sometimes son in law, and the 4 grandkids travel with us.  They now have to purchase tickets for 3 kids, which is expensive.  Atleast they are military and can get the military discount.

The grandkids love Disney, so I'm sure we will always go.  Living in Maryland, the campgrounds are expensive and you have to pay additional for each camper over the campgrounds sanding reservation limit.  This is usually 2 or 4.  By the time we add on this additional fee, it can get close to Disney, unless you are going during Holiday seasons.

We will be going in August this year.  It works best with their schedules and the sale going on really helps.

37 minutes ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

With rising cost, it has been 2 years since we visited the Fort.  Between the cost of the tickets and campsites, it has gotten out of hand.  My daughter, sometimes son in law, and the 4 grandkids travel with us.  They now have to purchase tickets for 3 kids, which is expensive.  Atleast they are military and can get the military discount.

The grandkids love Disney, so I'm sure we will always go.  Living in Maryland, the campgrounds are expensive and you have to pay additional for each camper over the campgrounds sanding reservation limit.  This is usually 2 or 4.  By the time we add on this additional fee, it can get close to Disney, unless you are going during Holiday seasons.

We will be going in August this year.  It works best with their schedules and the sale going on really helps.

It seems that camping has become too popular anywhere along the east coast and expensive.

My niece has been trying for over a month to get any sites in NY reserved anytime in the summer, and they are all booked.

Same here in FL.

And the prices are high.  My wife looked into one that was near the gulf (not on it) and they wanted $60 during the week, and an addition $10 for weekends.

State and county parks are booked and the prices are climbing, but none have caught up to Fort prices yet...

RV manufacturers are producing more and more units.  Couple that with the cost of developing a new campground and you end up with too many folks wanting to go camping at fewer campgrounds.  Basic supply & demand says the prices are going up.

12 minutes ago, tim5055 said:

RV manufacturers are producing more and more units.  Couple that with the cost of developing a new campground and you end up with too many folks wanting to go camping at fewer campgrounds.  Basic supply & demand says the prices are going up.

The demand finally dropped off, but what is more interesting the Auction sales have gone up..

My thoughts on this matter. I have not camped at Fort Wilderness in over 2 year and even sold my camper, but I don't think anyone else will be much longer either. Think like a bean counter, take the 1500 loop, small loop, 30 some odd sites bring in app $3000 a night when fully booked in peak season. Replace it with a 6 story hotel with room on top 5 floors, 20 rooms per floor, renting for $300 each per room. Same piece of ground now bringing in #30,000 per night. Guess $5000 more expense per night so increase would be $25,000 per day increase X 365 days and potential income from small piece of ground has increased by 10 times over campsites. Fort Wilderness will soon be just a memory like River Country.  

2 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

If/when Disney prices us out we will be at some other campground having a good time sitting around a fire. We enjoy camping wherever it is....from Disney to boondocking at a dirtbike race. We're campers. 

We are with you.  I am finding my wife and I are enjoying camping without the kids as much or more than we did when they young.