18 hours ago, tim5055 said:

RV manufacturers are producing more and more units.  Couple that with the cost of developing a new campground and you end up with too many folks wanting to go camping at fewer campgrounds.  Basic supply & demand says the prices are going up.

Aint that the truth.

On a small stretch of I-4 east of Tampa there are at least 4 big RV dealerships.

There must be 2 to 3 Billion $$$ worth of merchandise sitting in their inventory.  

Two of the sites have just expanded to hold all of the campers.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I check out the Fort Wilderness facebook pages, I can't bring myself to participate.  All they seem to concentrate on is how to game the system, and also the latest fad they "must do".  That is

Sometime's when it's time to turn the page to another chapter in life, we resist mightily.  We are supposed to move on to a new, exciting phase in our lives, but we can't get there if we hang on to th

You're still a FORT FIEND... We haven't camped for 2 yrs, but everybody's still stuck with me posting....😂

Posted Images

On 3/6/2019 at 7:48 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

If/when Disney prices us out we will be at some other campground having a good time sitting around a fire. We enjoy camping wherever it is....from Disney to boondocking at a dirtbike race. We're campers. 

Well said.

8 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Well said.

I agree with you guys. I have always been a camper and there is no better vacation. I understand there are other places to camp than just the fort, and yes, all are getting pricey.  Our other issue was time. There was a time we could get 6-7 camping trips in a year.  The past few, we were lucky to get one.  Not only was the fort pricing is out, but it was a waste to have the RV at storage 51 weeks a year 

5 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

I agree with you guys. I have always been a camper and there is no better vacation. I understand there are other places to camp than just the fort, and yes, all are getting pricey.  Our other issue was time. There was a time we could get 6-7 camping trips in a year.  The past few, we were lucky to get one.  Not only was the fort pricing is out, but it was a waste to have the RV at storage 51 weeks a year 

Yes.  If you can't use it, I agree... not worth having.  

I was talking with the service manager at our dealership the other day about this very topic.  He explained that he was amazed at how many people bought from them, paid to store the rig and then never used it.  He said that some of these owners actually paid them to winterize it, then de-winterize it but NEVER pulled it from the storage lot to use.  His estimate was that at least 30% of the RVs stored in their lot, just sit there and rot away.  Makes no sense.  They cost way too much, to just sit there.  I get that things change, but to never use them (even when brand new), that's a lot.

Funny thing about RVS... there is always one around for sale.  In a few years, you might find that you have the time and you can jump back in.  Life has a way of changing, but also repeating ^_^

On 3/6/2019 at 1:21 PM, tim5055 said:

RV manufacturers are producing more and more units.  Couple that with the cost of developing a new campground and you end up with too many folks wanting to go camping at fewer campgrounds.  Basic supply & demand says the prices are going up.

I hear you on the too many people. State campgrounds we use to reserve a day or two ahead of time are now booked months in advance. The same has started happening to private campgrounds. Fortunately prices have been pretty stable here we can still get electric sites in the state parks for $22 per night. The private campgrounds vary with the season but the two KOA's we use down by the coast are still $65 - $75 per night for a full hookup site.

That’s sad but I understand the price push . We too are in Tampa area and I have been camping at the Fort going back to the 70’s and $28 per night with my dad and siblings .. we continued the tradition and I am still in disbelief to be paying over $200 per night for our premium site this coming weekend for 7 nights . We usually visit the fort 4 times per year , each trip 5-8 nights .. but it’s adding up .. we’re only doing this next weeks trip because our grandson is on spring break.. not sure if we will do many more this time of year .. we may start to just do a late January trip , late August early September and our annual Halloween late October through early November trip.. cutting our visits down to maybe 2 - 3 trips max. We have been looking for alternatives for price reasons but outside of a KoA the pickings are slim .. sorry to read of your change but fully understand 

On 3/8/2019 at 7:18 AM, Starbuc71 said:

I hear you .. even regular campgrounds around here are getting insane with prices .. our storage isn’t too bad at $600 annual but it adds up for sure 

5 hours ago, Cheftjpeck said:

I hear you .. even regular campgrounds around here are getting insane with prices .. our storage isn’t too bad at $600 annual but it adds up for sure 

We looked at a small campground up around the Homasassa area about a year ago.  It didn't have a lot of amenities and they were getting I think 60 or 70$ a night.

There is one near the gulf down around Sarasota, they get $60 a night during weekdays and 70 on weekends and they are near the gulf not on it. And unless you are a Pinellas resident it's next to impossible to book Fort Desoto unless you want to take a drive down early in the morning to see if they have any openings.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:18 AM, Starbuc71 said:

There are also the empty nester days to come! We didn't get our T@B until both of the boys were gone. When they were at home, we were Scout camping, and running to baseball games year round. I was the camping mom. For our rare vacations that were not baseball trips, it was hotels. Once the boys left, I still wanted to camp, but Rick was having nothing of the tent camping, so we got the T@B. While I go solo more than not, at least Rick will join me at the Fort with the T@B, and will go on an occasional state park trip locally so he can fish. Even as expensive as the Fort is, its still less expensive than even the values most of the time. It also provides us the environment to relax and enjoy the parks in smaller doses. The Value resorts don't provide that atmosphere.

10 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

There are also the empty nester days to come! We didn't get our T@B until both of the boys were gone. When they were at home, we were Scout camping, and running to baseball games year round. I was the camping mom. For our rare vacations that were not baseball trips, it was hotels. Once the boys left, I still wanted to camp, but Rick was having nothing of the tent camping, so we got the T@B. While I go solo more than not, at least Rick will join me at the Fort with the T@B, and will go on an occasional state park trip locally so he can fish. Even as expensive as the Fort is, its still less expensive than even the values most of the time. It also provides us the environment to relax and enjoy the parks in smaller doses. The Value resorts don't provide that atmosphere.

We usually stay off site in hotels that we book thru Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

We've noticed (at least me and my wife) that once we leave the parks and head to the hotel we rarely go back the same day.

Now my daughters sometimes will head back and stay late.

And if we stay on property at FQ, it's usually during AP black out dates so we stay put right in the resort and enjoy just relaxing and wandering around the property.

It's hard to beat the ambiance at the Fort, but it's also hard to swallow over $100 a night for a partial site, when I can get the Embassy Suite for $75 and get a nightly free happy hour and free made to order omelets for breakfast.

For us a stay at the Fort is a treat. A splurge.  And now that a site costs as much as a value resort it’s a luxury  

Since we don’t own a RV we have to rent one or rent a cabin.  

It’s $150-$200/ night to rent an RV plus the cost of the site. Usually over $300/ night. And that’s if you can get a site when we go. Christmas and summer. 

Its definetely more economical to stay off site. And most trips that’s just what we do.   Yet we go visit the fort every trip. To see fiends, eat a meal, or just enjoy the Fort.  

16 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

This was Rene and I.

We wanted to camp even after the kids were gone but had decided at our ages there was no way to look dignified crawling in and out of a tent. We also found we weren't getting out as much due to the summer humidity making it harder to sleep as we got older. The result was buying an entry level TT which we used year round for camping and destination travel. Last year we upgraded to a somewhat larger trailer so I guess we're hooked.     

So I saw the below posted on the WDW website:

Important UpdateImportant Update

Capacity for Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and its experiences is limited. Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on guest demand and other factors.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will not be available at opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and will open later this year.

I feel bad for the fans and geeks that saw the August 29th opening date and scrambled to make a hotel reservation to get their 60 day out fast passes for this. Not to worry campers. You would have had to make a reservation 2 years ago to get anything between Aug 29th and the end of the year.  Looks like I’ll have to dish out the $200 (by then) for a one day HS ticket in 2023 to finally see the hype. 

I have a bad feeling about this.    Lol

6 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

So I saw the below posted on the WDW website:

Important UpdateImportant Update

Capacity for Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and its experiences is limited. Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on guest demand and other factors.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will not be available at opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and will open later this year.

I feel bad for the fans and geeks that saw the August 29th opening date and scrambled to make a hotel reservation to get their 60 day out fast passes for this. Not to worry campers. You would have had to make a reservation 2 years ago to get anything between Aug 29th and the end of the year.  Looks like I’ll have to dish out the $200 (by then) for a one day HS ticket in 2023 to finally see the hype. 

I have a bad feeling about this.    Lol

I actually went and booked a site the day it was announced. No issues at all and plenty of availability. The 60 days doesnt matter as there are no fastpasses being offered when the land opens. 

6 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I actually went and booked a site the day it was announced. No issues at all and plenty of availability. The 60 days doesnt matter as there are no fastpasses being offered when the land opens. 

You can get sites we can’t. That’s a big difference

5 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Oh absolutely! And I will be in them. Bring it!

I LOVE Star Wars, but I’m not going to join the insanity. Hell, we still can’t get on the stupid slinky thing

Can you imagine what the people watching will be during opening day... It would almost be worth it just to sit outside the entrance with an umbrella and lounge chair to see what comes out of the woodwork. Of course you would probably have to get there 2 days before the SWGE actually opens.

38 minutes ago, Duane said:

Can you imagine what the people watching will be during opening day... It would almost be worth it just to sit outside the entrance with an umbrella and lounge chair to see what comes out of the woodwork. Of course you would probably have to get there 2 days before the SWGE actually opens.

Oh my goodness, yes!

I will tell you... no way I'd want to be a CM at MGM for those first few months :blink:

15 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Just looking right now even on the consumer portal and I am seeing availability for the same dates I booked. Other than a tent site. 

I put in every weekend after 8/29 and no type of site available. Not that we are camping anymore