10 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

Wow. This is the most response I ever got on a topic I started. I’m proud of myself.  LOL. I have to say, besides the fort prices, the price of park tickets etc., we still think camping at the fort is not like it used to be.  As more and more people have found the hidden treasure at the fort, it’s become more crowed and not as relaxing. Large groups or groups of friends come together more often and like most of  the people nowadays, they have no respect for other campers and only care about themselves.   Many times last year on our trips, small children were not being watched while the parents sit and consume beverages, golf carts are being driven recklessly by both adults and underage drivers, people are constantly cutting through your site knocking things over, more and more non resort guest are taking over the amenities and the pool you could cross walking from head to head.  I guess because we used to go so frequently we notice these things vs people who visit once a year or so.  How about the campers that pile non garbage things like patio blocks, broken camper parts and chairs etc. near the trash cans.  one time we saw a recliner next to the trash can.  It’s a shame it’s not like it was. Wait till the abomination II gets built next door. You will have all those guest looping on rented golf carts, surey bikes and whatever else they can rent to look at all the camping folks. I’m sure this thread will have more comments and agreement when that happens. Security is a joke. Every time they get a good head of security that enforces the rules but is not a jerk, they get promoted or quit.  

You are looking at a glass half empty instead of half full.  You are complaining about people and not the Fort.  You also looked at the Fort as a weekend getaway cheap campground, which it's not and was never ment to be. Walt made it as a economical place to stay at Walt Disney world on a family vacation.  Not to go every weekend.

Anyway don't be upset about change, life is all about change and if you look at it the right way, life may be a little more fun.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I check out the Fort Wilderness facebook pages, I can't bring myself to participate.  All they seem to concentrate on is how to game the system, and also the latest fad they "must do".  That is

Sometime's when it's time to turn the page to another chapter in life, we resist mightily.  We are supposed to move on to a new, exciting phase in our lives, but we can't get there if we hang on to th

You're still a FORT FIEND... We haven't camped for 2 yrs, but everybody's still stuck with me posting....😂

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I guess there’s  lot of 1% out there camping. Guess I just don’t make enough $$ to take long stays at the Fort and definitely can’t afford a $70K TV and a $40 K or more camper. 

Are you insinuating that people who are non retirees and have the time and $$ to visit the Fort multiple times during the year for more than a week at a time are 1%ers ???

10 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Are you insinuating that people who are non retirees and have the time and $$ to visit the Fort multiple times during the year for more than a week at a time are 1%ers ???

No, not all are.

Some save up for the special occasion.

Some people spend their money different ways.

But I can't remember if it was earlier in this post or in another one where someone talked about the big boom in Rving and all the people buying new campers and TVs.

With the price of a new rig costing as much as a new home, people are either going deep into debt or have a pretty large amount of disposable income.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

No, not all are.

Some save up for the special occasion.

Some people spend their money different ways.

But I can't remember if it was earlier in this post or in another one where someone talked about the big boom in Rving and all the people buying new campers and TVs.

With the price of a new rig costing as much as a new home, people are either going deep into debt or have a pretty large amount of disposable income.

Google says the top 1% of 2017 earn over $700k a year. That's your Prevost crowd at FW. There's usually less than a dozen of those there when we visit. The top 5% earn $300k in 2017. The top 10% earn $120k in 2017. I would say the 5 to 10 percenters are the bulk of the crowd at FW.

8 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Google says the top 1% of 2017 earn over $700k a year. That's your Prevost crowd at FW. There's usually less than a dozen of those there when we visit. The top 5% earn $300k in 2017. The top 10% earn $120k in 2017. I would say the 5 to 10 percenters are the bulk of the crowd at FW.

I guess the 1% are all hiding out in the 3000 loop! B)

16 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

You are looking at a glass half empty instead of half full.  You are complaining about people and not the Fort.  You also looked at the Fort as a weekend getaway cheap campground, which it's not and was never ment to be. Walt made it as a economical place to stay at Walt Disney world on a family vacation.  Not to go every weekend.

Anyway don't be upset about change, life is all about change and if you look at it the right way, life may be a little more fun.

Wow, didn’t expect that kind of response from you. I’m not looking at the glass half empty. I have been very Cordele about what and how I said things on here and most are true even if they are my opinion. You sound more jealous that you can’t be a fort weekend warrior like we used to be.  I hate the negativity about Florida people on here.  There is a difference in definition between Floridian and locals when dealing with the fort.  All the more reason why I’m happy not to be a camper anymore.  Probably my last post now 😡

7 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

Wow, didn’t expect that kind of response from you. I’m not looking at the glass half empty. I have been very Cordele about what and how I said things on here and most are true even if they are my opinion. You sound more jealous that you can’t be a fort weekend warrior like we used to be.  I hate the negativity about Florida people on here.  There is a difference in definition between Floridian and locals when dealing with the fort.  All the more reason why I’m happy not to be a camper anymore.  Probably my last post now 😡

Sorry I really didn't mean for that to be offensive.  Actually just trying to get you to look at things more positive.  Were still here if you want to post.

Late to the party.  

Here at the Fort. Today was an amazing day; Trails End breakfast, horse barn, bike riding, nap under the awning, dog walking.  A few sites open in every loop, over 25 open in the 2000, saw 2 or 3 Prevost buses and a few other big ones. Mainly campers like mine and many older ones, like cousin Eddie style.

Expensive?

Yep

Value to cost?

Unmeasureable.  But for us, worth every penny. 

Ymmv!

26 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

Late to the party.  

Here at the Fort. Today was an amazing day; Trails End breakfast, horse barn, bike riding, nap under the awning, dog walking.  A few sites open in every loop, over 25 open in the 2000, saw 2 or 3 Prevost buses and a few other big ones. Mainly campers like mine and many older ones, like cousin Eddie style.

Expensive?

Yep

Value to cost?

Ymmv!

Sounds like a perfect day to me. 

36 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

Late to the party.  

Expensive?

Yep

Value to cost?

Ymmv!

Will be there soon, sounds like a great day, I hope you have several more. 

On 4/10/2019 at 4:24 PM, geoffdaddy said:

I think a lot of that is probably Florida campers. If you're close it's a lot easier to justify a bunch of trips. For us, a 10 hour one way drive more than a couple times a year kind of kills the magic for us. Your mileage may vary. At my job I get 4 weeks vacation annually currently. Wife doesn't work, so getting time off is not too much of an issue. Our girls are in a half-homeschool/half-public school program (they are in 2nd and 4th grade) that is flexible where we can take off a week at a time even during the school season, so you can bet with the way the prices are now we are watching for the lowest cost days at the fort, balancing that against the super-hot summer weather. 🙂 We have two trips this year, one in May which is 4 nights and another for a week in August. Cost of fuel is a major deal since we do a 1400 mile round trip tow for each trip down to central Florida, so being able to cost-average the fuel costs over more days is a must. The first half of the May trip we are staying at a much cheaper campground for three days away from Disney and then driving an hour over to the Fort for the second half of the trip. The week-long trip we were able to get a deal on a Premium site that was almost as cheap as a partial hook up loop (using the Sun and Fun room offer), so deals can be had if you book early and can be flexible. I agree the prices are getting out of hand though.

We save up our credit card points for Disney to offset the cost, which helps. I have "gamed" the Disney Visa a few times when they've had the $200 gift card promos by signing up for new cards in the past.

As far as visiting the parks though, that's another story! We haven't done a multi-day park-hopping extravaganza in several years. Been there, done that... a lot of fun when we did but on top of being expensive, we have realized we're getting older and it just wears us out and we get tired so we typically limit ourselves to 1, maybe 2 single park days on any trip lasting a week. We love the Fort and visiting the other resorts and buying drinks and snacks when we're not penny pinching theme park tix. We bought season park tickets to the water parks last October which are of course still good til October this year. We love the water parks and for the most part they are MUCH more relaxing than the theme parks are. We don't plan to visit any of the normal theme parks at all in May, and we're only going to do the Not So Scary Halloween Party in August. The water park tickets will still be good for both trips, so that helps a lot on the cost. Again, that was cost-averaged for several park visits over three trips and it's just a little more than a single theme park day's ticket cost for each person and is good for a year.

To save money in the past we have also tent camped several times instead of towing our camper down in the cooler months (late Oct-late March). For those trips we can use our Prius which gets about 42MPG on the highway, vs towing our camper at 8MPG.

We have said this several years in a row now that this will be our year visiting the Fort for a couple years. It's not a stretch to say that it's getting to the point where it's not worth it. I have a feeling this year might be the last for a year or two for real though. I know this is cynical and a bit mean-spirited of me but Disney World is lots of fun of course and I always say there's nothing wrong with Disney World that a "good" recession wouldn't cure IMO.

EDIT: Oh yeah, most importantly for a few trips, our camper has three queen beds, so we have been able to split costs between our family and another on several trips! Sometimes with family, sometimes with friends. Our girls are getting a little too big to split a bunk more than two ways though, so I think those days are over, unless we split a tent site with separate tents.

If I remember correctly, you are from Madison, AL. I think you actually know one of my friends (Jessica Havin.) If you are able please consider joining us at the Defeated Creek GG in September. 

11 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Late to the party.  

Expensive?

Yep

Value to cost?

Ymmv!

Have a blast.  Get some pictures of the new beach construction if you can.  I am curious to hear how the new construction is going.

Spending time at the Fort...Priceless...almost. 🙂

On 4/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, Starbuc71 said:

Actually, as a local, there is no difference between a Floridian and a local by any definition.  I live 30 minutes away, my wife worked years for Disney and retired and now we enjoy the benefits she earned when we can fit it in around my work schedule.  We use the amenities at the Fort when we are PAYING to stay there. What the Fort needs to control are rude self centered people, be they from 5 miles away or 1,000 miles, paying or freeloading (which by definition is rude and self centered).  Unfortunately that is the problem and is a reflection of society not Disney.  Knowing some people who work at Disney and the Fort as well, they are trying VERY hard to improve things and still maintain an enjoyable atmosphere that allows people to enjoy themselves.  We've witnessed freeloaders at the Fort from many states away who aren't staying on Disney property at all.  The guards have to put up with people flashing their annual pass and demanding access to everything at Fort Wilderness.  It is a very tough job.

4 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Actually, as a local, there is no difference between a Floridian and a local by any definition.  I live 30 minutes away, my wife worked years for Disney and retired and now we enjoy the benefits she earned when we can fit it in around my work schedule.  We use the amenities at the Fort when we are PAYING to stay there. What the Fort needs to control are rude self centered people, be they from 5 miles away or 1,000 miles, paying or freeloading (which by definition is rude and self centered).  Unfortunately that is the problem and is a reflection of society not Disney.  Knowing some people who work at Disney and the Fort as well, they are trying VERY hard to improve things and still maintain an enjoyable atmosphere that allows people to enjoy themselves.  We've witnessed freeloaders at the Fort from many states away who aren't staying on Disney property at all.  The guards have to put up with people flashing their annual pass and demanding access to everything at Fort Wilderness.  It is a very tough job.

Part of the issue, is that it's wide open from multiple points.

Boat, bus, private vehicles.

Some of the other resorts have a lot of access, but they make it harder to bring in your 3 ice chests and wagon full of picnic supplies.

I've seen multiple cars stop at the back side of the meadow by 1500, unload enough gear to equip an army, and tons of people climb out like one of those clown cars at the circus.

Other resorts will turn people away without reservations or charge for Valet Parking.  I know around major holidays the Fort will turn visitors away, but people still come in somehow.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Part of the issue, is that it's wide open from multiple points.

Boat, bus, private vehicles.

Some of the other resorts have a lot of access, but they make it harder to bring in your 3 ice chests and wagon full of picnic supplies.

I've seen multiple cars stop at the back side of the meadow by 1500, unload enough gear to equip an army, and tons of people climb out like one of those clown cars at the circus.

Other resorts will turn people away without reservations or charge for Valet Parking.  I know around major holidays the Fort will turn visitors away, but people still come in somehow.

Agree 100%.  To me, the biggest thing the fort can do is require Magic Bands to gain access to the pool.  You do that, you take away the main reason people come in.  I have friends who are guards there and they block a LOT of people trying to get in.  They even try to monitor the camera at the side gate, yet people keep trying to tailgate a bus to gain entry.  I've seen some tailgate a bus to drive down the service road from Fort Wilderness (when it was open).  And as you stated, you have the buses and boats adding to it.  We've been on a bus to the Fort from Disney Springs and have seen families get on carrying pool toys and towels while in their bathing suits! They were dry and were obviously not coming from Typhoon Lagoon since the Typhoon Lagoon bus used to drop everyone off at Disney Springs. 

The thing is, as long as you have people so willing to do what they know is wrong, they will always find a way.  Eliminate the "prize" , i.e. the pool access, and you will greatly reduce those trying to get in.  

14 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Late to the party.  

Expensive?

Yep

Value to cost?

Ymmv!

Wow !  How are the parks crowd wise?  My kids and a lot in our area are on Spring Break this week because they always have it around Easter. We've been the week before Easter before, even camped at the Fort that week although that was a few years ago, and it was so crowded. 

I was wearing my WDW tshirt to physical therapy this morning and a woman told me her son and his family were there this week and I answered "I wish I was."  Now I really wish I was.

35 minutes ago, Seals said:

Wow !  How are the parks crowd wise?  My kids and a lot in our area are on Spring Break this week because they always have it around Easter. We've been the week before Easter before, even camped at the Fort that week although that was a few years ago, and it was so crowded. 

I was wearing my WDW tshirt to physical therapy this morning and a woman told me her son and his family were there this week and I answered "I wish I was."  Now I really wish I was.

I know someone who is a guard at Fort Wilderness.  This past weekend, someone pulled up in a camper asking if there were any openings.  He directed them where to go to check.  They were able to get a spot.  This was on a Saturday.  I was shocked.

37 minutes ago, Seals said:

The parks are always busy anymore.  It does seem to ramp up as the week goes on, but last night after MK fireworks it was a ghost town till midnight.   The fort seems to be really calm, seems most are in the parks all day. 

By Friday though it will be capacity closures I bet. 

2 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I know someone who is a guard at Fort Wilderness.  This past weekend, someone pulled up in a camper asking if there were any openings.  He directed them where to go to check.  They were able to get a spot.  This was on a Saturday.  I was shocked.

I remember back in the dark ages there used to be a sign to the right of the MK "toll booth" that would say there were/were not campgrounds available tonight.