3 hours ago, YENSIDCAMPER said:

Have a blast.  Get some pictures of the new beach construction if you can.  I am curious to hear how the new construction is going.

Spending time at the Fort...Priceless...almost. 🙂

The land across from the horse barn has been cleared and the girl there told me they are moving the barn into that cleared space.  The beach to the right has something going on but not obvious.  There was an excavator clearing the canal behind the 800 loop. 

Once your here on the ground, I don't think you will even be able to see the new resort once it's done.  The trees are so mature and bring so much cover, you can't even really see pioneer hall from the settlement store if you think about it. 

I'll see what I can grab. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I check out the Fort Wilderness facebook pages, I can't bring myself to participate.  All they seem to concentrate on is how to game the system, and also the latest fad they "must do".  That is

Sometime's when it's time to turn the page to another chapter in life, we resist mightily.  We are supposed to move on to a new, exciting phase in our lives, but we can't get there if we hang on to th

You're still a FORT FIEND... We haven't camped for 2 yrs, but everybody's still stuck with me posting....😂

Posted Images

3 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Actually, as a local, there is no difference between a Floridian and a local by any definition.  I live 30 minutes away, my wife worked years for Disney and retired and now we enjoy the benefits she earned when we can fit it in around my work schedule.  We use the amenities at the Fort when we are PAYING to stay there. What the Fort needs to control are rude self centered people, be they from 5 miles away or 1,000 miles, paying or freeloading (which by definition is rude and self centered).  Unfortunately that is the problem and is a reflection of society not Disney.  Knowing some people who work at Disney and the Fort as well, they are trying VERY hard to improve things and still maintain an enjoyable atmosphere that allows people to enjoy themselves.  We've witnessed freeloaders at the Fort from many states away who aren't staying on Disney property at all.  The guards have to put up with people flashing their annual pass and demanding access to everything at Fort Wilderness.  It is a very tough job.

I agree with you, but In past references on this site, locals were tagged as freeloaders who used amenities without being a paying fort visitor.  Not saying per say that people who live in Florida are all freeloaders.  You get the point

37 minutes ago, Starbuc71 said:

I agree with you, but In past references on this site, locals were tagged as freeloaders who used amenities without being a paying fort visitor.  Not saying per say that people who live in Florida are all freeloaders.  You get the point

Absolutely agree 100%. And to add to that, people would be surprised how many non-Floridians, who may own or be staying at vacation rental homes, are also trying to freeload.  😊

21 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Absolutely agree 100%. And to add to that, people would be surprised how many non-Floridians, who may own or be staying at vacation rental homes, are also trying to freeload.  😊

We used to be freeloaders to a certain extent.

When we drove from Tampa to Orlando to shop or do touristy things, we would always stop at the Fort.

We would take the tram down to the settlement store, go to the deli counter, purchase made to order sandwiches, get some chips, sodas and a beer ($1.25) from the cooler, then walk down to the picnic tables at the beach. 

We'd eat lunch/dinner and watch the kids play in the sand and wade or swim in the lake.

So technically we were freeloading since we didn't stay on property, but the Mouse still got $$ from us.

This was back when you actually had breathing room at the Fort and didn't risk getting run over by golf carts.

There were no pools to swim in and the Meadow was nothing but a meadow.

Their reservation system is so jacked. I made Memorial Day weekend ressies months ago on the website. I called to add a day today and they said it was available. I then emailed my travel agent who was able to make a completely separate reservation with all of the days. I will just cancel the original. If you don't have a good TA you are screwed these days.

25 minutes ago, Travisma said:

When we drove from Tampa to Orlando to shop or do touristy things, we would always stop at the Fort.

We would take the tram down to the settlement store, go to the deli counter, purchase made to order sandwiches, get some chips, sodas and a beer ($1.25) from the cooler, then walk down to the picnic tables at the beach. 

We'd eat lunch/dinner and watch the kids play in the sand and wade or swim in the lake.

So technically we were freeloading since we didn't stay on property, but the Mouse still got $$ from us.

This was back when you actually had breathing room at the Fort and didn't risk getting run over by golf carts.

Those days before the pool we would go over to the Polynesian. They even had a slide. I would wear that thing out as a kid. Occasionally, we would go to the Contemporary. But back then pool hopping from the Fort was ok.

2 hours ago, djsamuel said:

I know someone who is a guard at Fort Wilderness.  This past weekend, someone pulled up in a camper asking if there were any openings.  He directed them where to go to check.  They were able to get a spot.  This was on a Saturday.  I was shocked.

Wow!!

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

I probably wouldn't be surprised.  I blame the internet.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

But you used a key word; "purchase".  We will still take the bus to Fort Wilderness sometimes to walk around, or have breakfast at Trails End.  To me, freeloading is using the amenities that should be strictly for the people paying to stay there (or another Disney resort when they allowed pool hopping).  This would mainly be the pool.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Wow!!

I probably wouldn't be surprised.  I blame the internet.

While I check out the Fort Wilderness facebook pages, I can't bring myself to participate.  All they seem to concentrate on is how to game the system, and also the latest fad they "must do".  That is what makes this site the best for Fort Wilderness.

6 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Their reservation system is so jacked. I made Memorial Day weekend ressies months ago on the website. I called to add a day today and they said it was available. I then emailed my travel agent who was able to make a completely separate reservation with all of the days. I will just cancel the original. If you don't have a good TA you are screwed these days.

Let me know when you cancel I want to pick them up!

16 hours ago, djsamuel said:

The guards have to put up with people flashing their annual pass and demanding access to everything at Fort Wilderness.  It is a very tough job.

Besides the swimming pools. 

Disneys policy is that everyone, not just AP holders are entitled to use any and all facilities at any resort, including the Fort, that they want to.   So what exactly are AP holders demanding access to that is against Disney’s policies???

Any local, Floridian, AP holder,  Texan, New Yorker, etc can go to the camp fire, or Crockett’s tavern, or clementines beach, or go to the beach at the Poly or Grand Floridian and watch the fireworks. 

Go to PO Riverside and watch YeeHaw Bob or ride a surrey bike. 

They can go to Saratoga Springs and play golf. 

Etc. Etc. Etc. 

12 hours ago, Travisma said:

See I and probably Disney completely disagree with you calling yourself a freeeloader.  Disney wants people to visit the resorts, including the fort and doing exactly what you were doing.  Spending money. 

I don’t know where this idea that the fort and it’s facilities are for the exclusive use of fort guests.  Yes the pool is for the use of fort guests but that’s the same at all resorts. Except for dvc members. They can use some of the other pools around WDW. 

Amd yes there people who are not fort guests that use the swimming pools.  And non resort guest who use the picnic pavilions, And imho. They are the freeloaders. 

10 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

And yes there people who are not fort guests that use the swimming pools.  And non resort guest who use the picnic pavilions, And imho. They are the freeloaders. 

You will also find some are CM's who would rather go the FORT than Mickey's Retreat. I think Lou, or someone, even mentioned Mickey's Retreat is never crowded.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, PGHFiend said:

Late to the party.  

Here at the Fort. Today was an amazing day; Trails End breakfast, horse barn, bike riding, nap under the awning, dog walking.  A few sites open in every loop, over 25 open in the 2000, saw 2 or 3 Prevost buses and a few other big ones. Mainly campers like mine and many older ones, like cousin Eddie style.

Expensive?

Yep

Value to cost?

Unmeasureable.  But for us, worth every penny. 

Ymmv!

The best times to visit the fort are during the week I think.

On 4/18/2019 at 12:20 AM, h2odivers...Ray said:

Besides the swimming pools. 

Disneys policy is that everyone, not just AP holders are entitled to use any and all facilities at any resort, including the Fort, that they want to.   So what exactly are AP holders demanding access to that is against Disney’s policies???

Any local, Floridian, AP holder,  Texan, New Yorker, etc can go to the camp fire, or Crockett’s tavern, or clementines beach, or go to the beach at the Poly or Grand Floridian and watch the fireworks. 

Go to PO Riverside and watch YeeHaw Bob or ride a surrey bike. 

They can go to Saratoga Springs and play golf. 

Etc. Etc. Etc. 

They try to limit access when the lot is closed.  Sometimes the guards get notified as early as 8:30am.  Yes, people can ride bikes, go see YeeHaw Bob, eat at restaurants  if the parking lot is not closed to outside guests.  If the lot is closed, the only way they are supposed to get in is if they have a dining reservation.  They are NEVER supposed to be using all facilities such as the pools, fitness rooms, etc. 

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

They try to limit access when the lot is closed.  Sometimes the guards get notified as early as 8:30am.  Yes, people can ride bikes, go see YeeHaw Bob, eat at restaurants  if the parking lot is not closed to outside guests.  If the lot is closed, the only way they are supposed to get in is if they have a dining reservation.  They are NEVER supposed to be using all facilities such as the pools, fitness rooms, etc. 

“They try to limit access when lot is closed”

what lot is closed?   The resort lot?  Or the parks, parking lots?

it would make sense for the guards to be on high alert if the parks are full.

ive gone to the several resorts during the busiest time of the year, Christmas and said we are going to take pictures or walk around  and we’ve never been turned away.

I mentioned swimming pools are reserved for resort guests and forgot the fitness center. Your right the fitness center is for resort guests only.  

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

ive gone to the several resorts during the busiest time of the year, Christmas and said we are going to take pictures or walk around  and we’ve never been turned away.

I mentioned swimming pools are reserved for resort guests and forgot the fitness center. Your right the fitness center is for resort guests only.  

I've been turned away at the Contemporary and the Poly and we're staying at the the Fort.

9 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

The resort lots.  At the resorts the guards will often (at some resorts including Fort Wilderness) get a call to restrict access based on the number of remaining open parking spots and/or the current occupancy of the resort.  This is especially true at the monorail resorts, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness, The Boardwalk and the Yacht and Beach Club.

You're very fortunate to be able to get into any of these resorts around Christmas.

I think the Poly and the Contemporary are the smallest parking lots at WDW so on busy times they restrict parking, we once did the Steam Tour and were told to park at the Contemporary and walk to the MK, I guess that early in the morning they make exceptions plus we could park there all day because of the tour.

11 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

I've been turned away at the Contemporary and the Poly and we're staying at the the Fort.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact we are AP holders?

the guards know we get free parking at the parks. So maybe they figure there’s no need for us t try and park at a resort to avoid paying parking fees?

4 hours ago, djsamuel said:

The resort lots.  At the resorts the guards will often (at some resorts including Fort Wilderness) get a call to restrict access based on the number of remaining open parking spots and/or the current occupancy of the resort.  This is especially true at the monorail resorts, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness, The Boardwalk and the Yacht and Beach Club.

You're very fortunate to be able to get into any of these resorts around Christmas.

Interesting. I never knew or thought about a resorts parking lot getting full.  I just figured they had more than enough parking spots for all their guests.