3 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Famous last words... ^_^

No trailer, no camping...enough said

On 3/17/2019 at 9:17 PM, Starbuc71 said:

You can get sites we can’t. That’s a big difference

Agree with Jason. When the announcement was made we booked a partial site at a Florida Resident rate (under $100) for the first week in October. At that time there were plenty of sites available for all of September thru the middle of October. The announcement didn't have the immediate impact we thought it was going to. That said, we are fortunate we can avoid The Fort on the weekend so it could be just weekdays that are available. 

33 minutes ago, Breezy2 said:

Agree with Jason. When the announcement was made we booked a partial site at a Florida Resident rate (under $100) for the first week in October. At that time there were plenty of sites available for all of September thru the middle of October. The announcement didn't have the immediate impact we thought it was going to. That said, we are fortunate we can avoid The Fort on the weekend so it could be just weekdays that are available. 

You are probably right. We are one of those pesky locals who used to clog up the fort on the weekends with a weekend trip. We work so during the week is out. At least there will be one less local family taking up a weekend reservation now..lol

Not to be snarky and not being judgmental, but how do Fiend non retirees, have the time and $$ to visit the Fort multiple times during the year for more than a week at a time?

Have you saved vacation time from previous years so you can take more time off in one year?

Do you work from home?

Do you own your own business and have reliable employees that take care of the business while you are away?

I see the same thing on other Disney camping site... "we have 4 three week vacations to the Fort planned this year!"

Just being nosy.

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Not to be snarky and not being judgmental, but how do Fiend non retirees, have the time and $$ to visit the Fort multiple times during the year for more than a week at a time?

Have you saved vacation time from previous years so you can take more time off in one year?

Do you work from home?

Do you own your own business and have reliable employees that take care of the business while you are away?

I see the same thing on other Disney camping site... "we have 4 three week vacations to the Fort planned this year!"

Just being nosy.

The only way we can do it is because my wife is retired from Disney.  I am not retired yet, still 2.5 years to go.  If we can get her discount we go, otherwise we don't.  We used to go about 8 times a year (both before and after her retirement), but now we've lowered it to three times a year, but made the trips a bit longer.  Still, the total number of days is way down.  Some of the trips, I will drive to work from the campground and she enjoys the day at the campground or in a park.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Do you work from home?

For us Disney has been our one big annual vacation for the past 14+ years. We were able to do 2-3+ weeks at a time because DH could use all his vaca time in one chunk (he worked there 20+ years so he had almost 4 weeks per year) and I work from home, or wherever I bring the laptop.

Budget-wise we've haven't found another vacation that interested us (yet) that we could afford for even a week that's comparable to what we pay to camp at the Fort for 3 weeks - even as the rates have gone up.  A big part of that has been planning out trips to be able to use annual passes for 2 years' trips so we're only buying park tickets every other year.

Plus having that annual pass in my pocket has given me the ability to find excuses to "drop by" for a quick trip with family/friends every so often.  (see "that one time my SIL and I drove 40 hours to spend 24 hours in MK" LOL!)

We have in the past bought annual passes.  We went late one summer for 9 days,  then went at Thanksgiving for 9 days,  Spring Break for 9 days, and the next summer early in the summer for 2 weeks.  This spread my wife's and I vacation time out over two years and the kids time was already off from school.  By taking advantage of the AP as gifts for the kids and eating at the site a lot, we were able to keep our costs down.  We also had a pop up and the site rate in 2011 and 2012 was around or under $50 a night.  Now that we have a MH the costs to stay are much worse.  We could however probably pull it off.  We are considering giving the kids AP for Christmas this year and doing the same thing.  I now get much more vacation time due to my years experience at work.

9 hours ago, Travisma said:

Do you work from home?

Just being nosy.

This is how this thread started.  Us, being local, used to be able to do 1 week a year (spring break) and usually 5 days at thanksgiving.  We would get maybe 2 or 3 long weekend trips (3 day, 2 nights) back when availability was there. Now with the price and the availability issue.. we’re done.  Back where this thread started. 

14 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

This is how this thread started.  Us, being local, used to be able to do 1 week a year (spring break) and usually 5 days at thanksgiving.  We would get maybe 2 or 3 long weekend trips (3 day, 2 nights) back when availability was there. Now with the price and the availability issue.. we’re done.  Back where this thread started. 

Full circle!  It does look like the campground now has a three night minimum over the weekends.  I was able to get just about any date in September, as long as my reservation had 3 or more nights on it.   Looking for 2 nights, Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun,  was a no-go.   Thu-Sat or Fri-Sun worked just fine.  It would be nice if Disney's website explained about minimum stays. 

We've also cut our trips way back, but for us it was just the massive amount of hours I work, and when I finish a project, I could take a few days off without using leave. I was at my old job for almost 20 years, so was earning 4 weeks a year, and with the massive amount of hours worked, even when I had planned time off, I had to use very little leave due to deferred holidays, and part of the time having spare hours. For example, for one 17 day trip we took, we started the trip on a Wednesday, and I didn't need to use leave for the 3 days, because I was already over 80 hours for the pay period, then I had 5 deferred holidays for the next week, then I did use 5 days for the third week. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, Travisma said:

Do you work from home?

Just being nosy.

I'm lucky that my company offers generous vacation time. I typically have 5 to 6 weeks a year available. Also I have to work every 4th weekend. That gives me 2 days off the following week. So I can take 3 days and be off for 5. I try to always schedule a work weekend before vacation to cut down on time. Now that my wife is working again we are constrained by her time off. For example the kids and I check in on Saturday, but she is flying down Tuesday night. I also own a fabrication business. It takes up nearly all of my free time, but I have my father working with me so he looks after things when I am gone.

We also like to do short trips at times too. We've done 2 long weekend trips so far this year.

On the $ side we are fortunate to have some disposable income, and I don't mind spending it on memories while my kids are young. We buy AP's to help on park fees, but honestly we probably spend more as a result of AP's lol.

When I still worked I would get 5 weeks vacation, 5 fixed holidays and 7 optional holidays. Between these I could take a couple of long breaks a year. I was also a remote, work from home employee for about half my career and other than needing to be at certain meetings set my own schedule. We would frequently take trips that included work days built around the day's activity schedule or I would stay at the hotel and work while the family went out to play. It also helped that our kids were in multi-track year round up until high school so we had a number of long school breaks throughout the year.

Fort Wilderness site prices are steep.  No doubt about.  Accountant Hubby chafes at paying so much "for a parking spot" but because he is married to a certified Disney nut, he puts up with it for our once a year trips.  This year, we are spending the last week of April at the Fort and will probably only go into the Parks a day or two.  

We are headed to D23 in Anaheim in August.  I have already started managing expectations for Star Wars at Disneyland.  I am thinking it will still be too crazy to be anywhere near the Parks at the end of August.  

Unfortunately, I work 60 hours a week and don’t make enough money to enjoy the fort like we used to.  I know times have changed but it seems to me the prices with everything always increased but not as fast as they do now. You never heard of people complaint about fort prices until about 5 years ago.  I also understand that you need to spend money to make money and in order to have the money to spend to increase your business, it comes from the consumer/ customer. Like I said when I started this thread, I’m not here to bash Disney and their prices.  Their financial model just does not fit my wallet anymore. And for those of you with disposable incomes, well to do retirees, and people who have mega time off,  God bless you and yes, I’m jealous.  I will die before retirement.  

9 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

Unfortunately, I work 60 hours a week and don’t make enough money to enjoy the fort like we used to.  I know times have changed but it seems to me the prices with everything always increased but not as fast as they do now. You never heard of people complaint about fort prices until about 5 years ago.  I also understand that you need to spend money to make money and in order to have the money to spend to increase your business, it comes from the consumer/ customer. Like I said when I started this thread, I’m not here to bash Disney and their prices.  Their financial model just does not fit my wallet anymore. And for those of you with disposable incomes, well to do retirees, and people who have mega time off,  God bless you and yes, I’m jealous.  I will die before retirement.  

I can't remember what you do for a living?