New Campsite Categories at the Fort

Here's a new one. 

From a reliable source.

There have been meetings, including an onsite tour, in which the topic of discussion has been scrapping the current campsite level designations and creating new, simpler, ones. One idea is to charge more for campsites close to the Meadow Recreation area.

Thats interesting, but there's more. 

Included in the discussion is the concept of creating a new separate, restricted access area of super premium sites. This area would be gated off from the Fort, and will have its own amenities reserved for the campsites there. Where would this go?  Say goodby to the group camping area and the surrounding area. 

The 3000 loop is actually being discussed by folks who can make it happen. 

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Included in the discussion is the concept of creating a new separate, restricted access area of super premium sites. This area would be gated off from the Fort, and will have its own amenities reserved for the campsites there. Where would this go?  Say goodby to the group camping area and the surrounding area. 

TCD

"The DVC area"

30 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Here's a new one. 

From a reliable source.

There have been meetings, including an onsite tour, in which the topic of discussion has been scrapping the current campsite level designations and creating new, simpler, ones. One idea is to charge more for campsites close to the Meadow Recreation area.

Thats interesting, but there's more. 

TCD

Makes some sense,  I'm guessing this would be no more cutting through the group camping area from 2000 to get to the meadows though.

Also wondering how this would impact the cabins, for $400ish a night high end moderates they always seemed rather lacking on amenities.

37 minutes ago, slices said:

Makes some sense,  I'm guessing this would be no more cutting through the group camping area from 2000 to get to the meadows though.

Also wondering how this would impact the cabins, for $400ish a night high end moderates they always seemed rather lacking on amenities.

I wish they would have a legitimate walkway from 2000 to the group area instead of cutting between a couple of sites.  I hate intruding on campers sites.

But it sure does save a lot of walking when going from 2000 to the meadow.

19 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All pull thrus

All paved (who wants to track dirt into their $200K camper).

Maid service

Fully fenced site with a lockable gates

Inflatable roof to keep that pesky Florida weather off said camper

Entire site air conditioned to keep away the FL humidity.

32 minutes ago, Travisma said:

All pull thrus

Maid service

Sounds about right.  

Heck, if folks will pay $130-$200/night for a nice but general site and loop, creating an “exclusive” resort/loop and charging $300/night?  My guess is the sites would rent.

Bobby invited me to take part in these discussions as supervisor of the 3000 loop but the talks ended when some snobs wanted to close Dave’s massage parlor .

I've said a long time ago they need some super premium type spots in the Magic Kingdom parking lot area where the speedway was. It'd be for the folks that have trouble getting their monster 45' rigs into the Fort. As mentioned here already, pull through, all paved. Nice outdoor kitchens with fireplaces, covered patio, concierge and room service, the works. When I mentioned that before it evolved a bit more into super - super - premium spots on the water, but that space is taken now, so back to putting it in the parking lot.  

And on topic, I think I like the idea of rethinking what is premium, or preferred, or truly more desirable sites are. I know they'll be charging more for them. But with 4 levels of sites now, maybe the pricing won't change too much (besides continuing to rocket upward in general). We'll see. 

3 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

Honestly I like the idea of having a DVC type area.  It doesn't have to be near the water either.  It is impossible right now to get anything at the Fort under DVC.  It probably will be in the future too, but I can dream.

X2!!!

6 hours ago, Travisma said:

All pull thrus

Maid service

You'r not too far off. There's definitely a market for sterile campsites. At an RV resort in SC I overhear a guy with a 40+ footer bitching out the camp host that dirt got in his motorhome and there needs to be more concrete poured.

Sounds to me like they’ve been very observant and have taken notice of the many “Class A only” RV Resorts that are popping up all over the country. Also those that don’t allow any RV’s over 10 years old. Disney is not one to miss out on a profitable trend. This is a very lucrative market.

Instead of charging more for the sites closer to the Meadows, they should just charge less for those sites further away....lol.

I also agree with PGHFiend. Any type of new investment in FW, even if it is for the high brow elites and us low life rednecks will never set foot in it, is a good thing. Maybe they will invest in some new common amenities too. But this raises the question of how high are rates headed in the short term. Is $250 a night coming in the new few years? I hope not.

20 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Instead of charging more for the sites closer to the Meadows, they should just charge less for those sites further away....lol.

I also agree with PGHFiend. Any type of new investment in FW, even if it is for the high brow elites and us low life rednecks will never set foot in it, is a good thing. Maybe they will invest in some new common amenities too. But this raises the question of how high are rates headed in the short term. Is $250 a night coming in the new few years? I hope not.

If they did that, then they should drop the price on the 2000 loop to $25 a night!

It would be a lot more convenient if they made an official walkway/path from 2000 thru the group camping area, instead of sleazing between a couple of  2000 sites and slinking behind the group campers.

31 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

But this raises the question of how high are rates headed in the short term. Is $250 a night coming in the new few years? I hope not.

But as the rates go up the demand stays the same. Look at the Hotels too.

31 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

But as the rates go up the demand stays the same. Look at the Hotels too.

Since Disney is private and doesn't say a lot about their occupancy rates everything is pure speculation on how full they are at any given time, except for the Fort.

The Fort you can drive thru and see how full it is on a weekday as compared to the weekends.

There was a discussion a year or two ago about how deserted the Fort is on normal non holiday weekdays. 

It's the weekends that make it hard to get a site. 

If you want to book Tuesday thru Thursday or Friday you can probably get a site 90% of the time.

Other people have said they need to make a large section that is just for Friday thru Monday camping or and combination of those days.

It would probably have to look more like the group camping area with a lot less vegetation to get it up and running quickly and making $$.

Everyone talks about how full the Fort is on weekends compared to the weekdays, in all our travels I would say that is about the same for most campgrounds. The only place I ever saw filled during the week was Cedar Point, as fast as someone left the site was filled again quickly or at least by the evening and they are well over $100 a night or even higher. Plus they only have about a 7 month season.

34 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Everyone talks about how full the Fort is on weekends compared to the weekdays, in all our travels I would say that is about the same for most campgrounds. The only place I ever saw filled during the week was Cedar Point, as fast as someone left the site was filled again quickly or at least by the evening and they are well over $100 a night or even higher. Plus they only have about a 7 month season.

Not sure if this is a "thing" at a lot of seasonal campgrounds or not.

My in-laws in NY used to have a site they rented the entire season the campground was open.  They got the same site year after year.

23 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

Honestly I like the idea of having a DVC type area.  It doesn't have to be near the water either.  

That makes a lot of sense to me.

15 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I'm just glad they see the potential in the RV market.  I also hope that this will mean that the Fort is here to stay for another 47 years. 

4 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I also agree with PGHFiend. Any type of new investment in FW, even if it is for the high brow elites and us low life rednecks will never set foot in it, is a good thing.  

That's a nice thought and I hope so EXCEPT...... if Disney wants to make more money, they should enforce occupancy limits.  If they stopped allowing 3 or 4 families to rent one site (or the random tents in the woods where who knows if they're actually paying anything), Disney could make more money.  The discussion I had with Disney corporate is they would make more one of two ways:  1.  guests would be forced to rent their own site or  2. less people would be at the Fort which translates to less where and tear/less money in repairs.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Not sure if this is a "thing" at a lot of seasonal campgrounds or not.

My in-laws in NY used to have a site they rented the entire season the campground was open.  They got the same site year after year.

A lot of campgrounds near us and also down at the Jersey shore ( beach ) do a large seasonal business but in comparison a whole season cost about as much as one week at a beach house so for some that makes better economic sense. We used to do that and it was nice just show up Friday unlock turn on the water and your good to go, no towing no set up and when you leave lock up turn off the water and go home.

2 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

A lot of campgrounds near us and also down at the Jersey shore ( beach ) do a large seasonal business but in comparison a whole season cost about as much as one week at a beach house so for some that makes better economic sense. We used to do that and it was nice just show up Friday unlock turn on the water and your good to go, no towing no set up and when you leave lock up turn off the water and go home.

Yeah that's what my in laws did.  Some weeks my sister in law would head to the campground with the kids and stay there all week them my brother in law would head up Friday after work.

I think it was only about an hour from their house so it was easy on both of them.