We are thinking of getting rid of our pop up camper. We have had it for 2 years now and thinking of getting a travel trailer.

Looking for some help. What type of camper do you have? What do you love and hate about it? Any major problems ? My son is 6 feet so we need a bed big enough for him. We are thinking maybe buying used in doing some research looks like the best way to go. Thanks!

If you want to upgrade but stay somewhat small and easy to tow, what about a hybrid?  We had ours for 6 years and loooooved it.  We even spent 3 weeks in it at Fort Wilderness with 3 border collies.

Ours was a Kodiak and had queen beds on both ends, so plenty of room. Back then most hybrids didn't have slides, but these days many do and they're very roomy inside.

We had really good luck with ours and only traded up because the setup/takedown was becoming a pain in the neck with 3 dog crates, but that was really the only downside for us.

We too loved our hybrid except for three things:

1.  If it was raining, folding up the ends (like a pop up) was a huge pain in the tush.

2.  This mama was uber anxious about a tree limb falling through one of the ends (most people are not as paranoid as I am though 😉😀).

3.  I’m a pretty light sleeper and the tent ends of the hybrid just let in too many sounds.

For those reasons, I would lean more towards an ultralight camper.  One that is small, so it’s not too heavy, but still allowed you to have a complete hard shell. 

Thanks for all the responses. We did look at a hybrid I really liked it but, we are worried about the canvass. Are pop up does leak on one side when it rains so not sure I could sell my husband on it. We got the towing down we are into classic cars and tow them all around.

I'm not laughing at the tree limb falling. Before we got the pop we tent camped and that happened to us it missed our tent by inches!

Are there any brands that you know that have a bad rep? Good rep? There was a wildwood for sale by us and my son said it got a ton of bad reviews.

This is a big step for us and I don't want to regret it. We love camping and want to continue it.

It's been a while since we had our Kodiak (8 years) so I'm not sure where their quality is at now, but in the 5 years we had it - which included everything from spending weeks at a time in it at a time at the Fort in FL heat to camping in upstate NY during torrential rainstorms and hard freezes - we never had any issues at all with the tents leaking.

3 hours ago, Robin said:

Are there any brands that you know that have a bad rep? Good rep? There was a wildwood for sale by us and my son said it got a ton of bad reviews.

This is a big step for us and I don't want to regret it. We love camping and want to continue it.

Wildwood is more of a entry level unit, I would go to the forums where a particular brand you might be interested in and read or ask questions, 

We had a Coleman Bayside Pop up for 10 years.  It had king sized beds on each end.  I have two 6 foot boys that could sleep in one end.  I loved sleeping in the pop up as it felt like tent camping.  As I got older, the set up and take down was too much. 

We bought a crossover Class A.  It has a drop down bunk over the driver seats and a fold out couch and a king sized bed in the back.  A used one of these could be as affordable as some travel trailers.  We spent 7 weeks in a row in ours and the boys never complained.  Good luck on your purchase.

• 2 years later...

Well we are back at it. After doing home repairs we are finally ready for something new to us. We have gotten as much use out of the pop as we can. The canvas needs to be replaced and we don't want to mess with that. We really loved somethings about the pop up and somethings we not so much. We have found a 2010 Jayco Jay feather.

It seems like a good fit for us but it has a back slide out bed. We had planned on not getting anything with a slide but this seems like a nice camper. It has been stored indoors in the winter and, comes with everything. We did not see any water leaks or soft spots on the floor. Any one know of any major problems with these campers?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations.  We are eager to return to camping.  With my health though I’m going to need some lazy amenities like power jacks, awning, wide stair-step, and under 5k moderately loaded.  No pup-ups or hybrids.  Maybe a small class C or potentially a class A if not too big