This was shared on FB... never would this mama had considered this threat.  It made my heart race just watching it.  No matter how attentive of a parent you are, kids will play and have fun (they should play and have fun).  This video is a must watch.  Secure those coolers or pack them away.  So thankful that this baby was alright.

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/broward/pompano-beach-boy-winds-up-trapped-in-cooler-during-game-of-hide-and-seek

Glad the kid was OK, but there is a grey area between parental and manufacturers responsibilities.

Nothing is 100% foolproof, is something is listed as unbreakable someone will find a way to break it.

People buy items for their strength, reliability, ease of use, etc.

If Igloo had originally  made the chests harder to latch/use, then people would just buy another brand.

So they should make an ice chest with a built in escape mechanism because parents didn't watch their kids or tell them not to climb into it?  Would a 5 year old or younger child even know how to utilize such a mechanism?

I'm not trying to be callous, but you have to look at both sides.

I don't think it needs an escape mechanism inside, but I do think the outside lock should be changed so that it cannot latch by itself.   My parents old 1960's coleman required you to turn a latch to seal it up.   Just bring that back. 

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Glad the kid was OK, but there is a grey area between parental and manufacturers responsibilities.

Nothing is 100% foolproof, is something is listed as unbreakable someone will find a way to break it.

People buy items for their strength, reliability, ease of use, etc.

If Igloo had originally  made the chests harder to latch/use, then people would just buy another brand.

So they should make an ice chest with a built in escape mechanism because parents didn't watch their kids or tell them not to climb into it?  Would a 5 year old or younger child even know how to utilize such a mechanism?

I'm not trying to be callous, but you have to look at both sides.

No...I'm not saying that it's the manufacture's fault... although it's an easy fix for them going forward (have the latch come up from the base to the lid so that it has to be manually pulled up to latch).   My point in posting, was so that parents/grandparents were aware.  As I stated in my OP, I would have never even given it a second thought and our little man hides everywhere.

1 hour ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

I don't think it needs an escape mechanism inside, but I do think the outside lock should be changed so that it cannot latch by itself.   My parents old 1960's coleman required you to turn a latch to seal it up.   Just bring that back. 

We still have one of those that was my grandfather's. Impossible for that thing to lock by accident.