When to camp when school is out.

Looking to head back to the fort. With the kids in school we can’t really take them out like we used to. Loved going in November.  So aside from Christmas or thanksgiving, I don’t think this gives us enough time.  We like to travel down slow and make a few stops.  4-5 hrs per day and camp along the way. So we were thinking June.  But all my research says June is pretty swampy and miserable.  Thinking end of August now.  I know it will be hot.  But maybe less wet???  Anyone w kids who has mastered hitting the fort and not missing much school have any tips? 

51 minutes ago, Goose said:

Looking to head back to the fort. With the kids in school we can’t really take them out like we used to. Loved going in November.  So aside from Christmas or thanksgiving, I don’t think this gives us enough time.  We like to travel down slow and make a few stops.  4-5 hrs per day and camp along the way. So we were thinking June.  But all my research says June is pretty swampy and miserable.  Thinking end of August now.  I know it will be hot.  But maybe less wet???  Anyone w kids who has mastered hitting the fort and not missing much school have any tips? 

Don’t forget August is right in the middle of Hurricane season so can get stormy. We have gone early July most years for the last 10 and while hot it just has the usual afternoon rainstorm. It can be muggy but it’s not all that different from what we have here in CT. 

We tried early August last year and decided never again. May have been luck of the draw but it fell so much more miserable than our normal July dates. 

Before kid activities killed it, we enjoyed camping at the Fort with our kids during their Spring Break in late March or early April. But we'd only take a day to get there and a day back using the weekends on either end of the week. It's crowded if you're doing the parks but workable if you have parkhoppers and a good plan. Weather was mostly beautiful.

25 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

We tried early August last year and decided never again. May have been luck of the draw but it fell so much more miserable than our normal July dates. 

Our one trip to the FORT in August was a "never again" too! Our daughter had a Hy-Brid, the a/c kept it cool, but the outside of the bunks had water running off the canvas. 

This is the south. Summer only gets worse as it progresses with August usually being the hottest month and the same humid weather. If I had to go in the summer personally I would shoot for June if possible. As Jason mentioned hurricanes become a risk factor the further get into summer and early fall though these days there is plenty of warning so you can plan ahead.

I would suggest immediately after Memorial Day.  We have done the first week in June and the crowds weren't as bad because most of the Memorial Day crowd had left.  We have always camped in the summer at the Fort and is just hot and humid the further you go in the summer.   

Goose

Much like you, our kids are still in school.  We did 15 nights in early June 2017 visiting a park or water park every other day.  The parks were crowded but manageable.  We prefer to go at "rope drop" while it is cool.  Back to the fort for the middle of the day.  Then either back to a park after dark or hangout at the fort (my favorite).  It rained every every afternoon but one.  For us that was fine.  We planned for the rain and napped in the afternoons :-).  

You need to use the DIT Vacation-Geographic Scale.  It's simple...choose your vacation spot based on the geographic area currently in their most desirable season.  For instance, here in TN, fall is perfect for camping so we stay close to home, but summer is miserable so we tend to travel to places like northern Michigan where summer is beautiful.   In winter or early spring we head to Florida.   Ain't no way, no how I'm leaving hot, humid TN in the summer and going further south into hot, humid Florida.  Until Disney builds a giant dome over the whole place to maintain it in perpetual seasonal perfection, I'm staying away in the summer.   

So, back to your question.  Until your kids graduate, stay away from Disney.  

When we had our 40’ toyhauler ww camped in both June and July and would never do it again. We live in FL so are aware of the heat. Both months it was so hot the ac would never stop running until around 10pm. It would actually freeze up and blow ice chips from time to time. We ended up spending 85% of our time watching TV inside the RV. I finally told the wife we could do this at home more comfortably 

My motto is I'd rather be sweating at Disney than at work. So we go whenever we feel like it. If it's hot at Disney it will be hot at home .

My kids can't miss school now so we do spring break (at FW now), summer trips, and usually a week at Thanksgiving. 

We were here for MLK weekend and the weather was perfect. It is in the low 80's this week too. 

Yea. I think we’re gonna risk it all in June. The rain is prob the worst threat but I figure we can dodge in somewhere or like bamagrad said, nap. Thats our usual approach anyhow.  Hit parks early.  My kids u are up and ready to go early anyhow.  Come back to fort for relaxing and lunch/pool/nap. Head back after dark. Or just relax more.  Thanksgiving is tempting but I just don’t think we have enough time off school to drive down from PA.  June it is.  Well bring umbrellas I guess.  Luckily I added the double ACs. Unless we’re in direct sun we should be fine.  Maybe leave the dog home this time.  

18 minutes ago, Goose said:

Yea. I think we’re gonna risk it all in June. The rain is prob the worst threat but I figure we can dodge in somewhere or like bamagrad said, nap. Thats our usual approach anyhow.  Hit parks early.  My kids u are up and ready to go early anyhow.  Come back to fort for relaxing and lunch/pool/nap. Head back after dark. Or just relax more.  Thanksgiving is tempting but I just don’t think we have enough time off school to drive down from PA.  June it is.  Well bring umbrellas I guess.  Luckily I added the double ACs. Unless we’re in direct sun we should be fine.  Maybe leave the dog home this time.  

We did 2 trips camping in a PUP and a tent over 2 4th of Julys at the Fort.  Relatives from NY would come down every other year and stay at the resorts and we would camp.  They went to the parks and we would hang out at the Fort and resort hop since our silver passes were blacked out.

We survived with fans, a lot of cold drinks and a lot of pool time.

We had rain but survived.  Worst part would be rain while trying to cook.

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Look at Frogg Togg raincoats.  You will still sweat, but they are a little more breathable then 100% vinyl sacks clinging to you. And they can compress fairly easily into themselves to make a little square pouch.

They are online and some Wal Marts in the sporting goods section.

3 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

It is so crowded here for spring break! If you are not rope dropping or FP'ing you can forget it. With that said we have been doing both and having a great time. Weather is perfect, and we are getting plenty of FW time (which is the best part, imho). 

Glad you are getting to enjoy the trip!  Grab another post for me if you can....😁