RUMOR: Disney Scooters to have an object detection system and governor starting immediately in MK

According to a Facebook source, (and I cannot confirm this until I get there at the end of the week), all the rented Disney scooters have had a governor and object detection system put on them.  This is in MK only right now and will be implemented to all parks by end of May.  

The story was that a disabled person was at the Keys to a Kingdom tour and was riding a rented scooter.  Because it had the detection system on it, it was jolting her to a stop every time someone passed in front of her.  She had to leave the group finally because she could not keep up.

I foresee nightmares "a comin" when the parks are really crowded.

4 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

According to a Facebook source, (and I cannot confirm this until I get there at the end of the week), all the rented Disney scooters have had a governor and object detection system put on them.  This is in MK only right now and will be implemented to all parks by end of May.  

The story was that a disabled person was at the Keys to a Kingdom tour and was riding a rented scooter.  Because it had the detection system on it, it was jolting her to a stop every time someone passed in front of her.  She had to leave the group finally because she could not keep up.

I foresee nightmares "a comin" when the parks are really crowded.

I think I saw the same or similar article, but didn't realize it was a keys to the kingdom tour.

What I saw was people around her were getting aggravated because she kept stopping every couple of feet.

I can't see how this would work in the parks with the amount of ankles passing in front of the scooter.

I could maybe envision some sort of bumper that would stop the scooter if it hits something.

I was watching a video of the "breaking news" last night.  There must have been an article afterwards.  I haven't seen it on the major news sources, but I will definitely confer with my sources later on this week.

With them going to limit strollers as well by May, it does go along with the theme.

30 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

I can see that being a problem keeping up on a tour, and annoying for anyone walking behind the scooter, but what would the alternative have been without the system on it - the woman ramming people out of her way to keep up?

There's definitely an issue with people just walking and not seeing scooters (and strollers) and walking in front of them.  There's also an issue with people being run into by both. Not sure an automatic detection is the best way to fix the problem (or what is) but given how crowded the parks are most of the time these days, I'm guessing somebody thought this was better than doing nothing. 

That said, I would have hoped that on a tour they could have worked out something so that this didn't happen (assuming it actually did). But then I'm picturing what it looks like when a scooter is trying to get out of the park right after fireworks.  (oof)

Another problem is they rent to anyone, it doesn't matter if they have never driven one or not. WDW is not the place to learn to drive an ECV. I think they should do away with rental ECV and strollers and require people to bring their own and enforce the rules about size and age to drive. Also the golf carts at the Fort could be on the same system, follow the rules or lose the privilege of having a cart.

4 hours ago, BigTom said:

Another problem is they rent to anyone, it doesn't matter if they have never driven one or not. WDW is not the place to learn to drive an ECV. I think they should do away with rental ECV and strollers and require people to bring their own and enforce the rules about size and age to drive. Also the golf carts at the Fort could be on the same system, follow the rules or lose the privilege of having a cart.

My 80 yr old mom doesn’t use a scooter on a daily basis.  So she doesn’t own her own. As a matter of fact the last time she used one was at Disneyland.    She doesn’t need a scooter on a daily basis.  Because she’s not at a park we’re she is walking several miles every day.  She needs a scooter at WDW.   So yes. Many peoples first time using a scooter is at WDW or other amusement parks.  I don’t think it’s a good idea to punish legitimate users of scooters because a few people abuse them  

I think it would be best if Disney had a set of uniform standards that all scooter companies used. Speed, size, lights, etc. 

12 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

They should expand the PeopleMover throughout the park.   No walking allowed.   

That will never happen.  It'll cut down of people getting food, drinks, and other merchandise.

Bottom line is Disney has become a Blivet..... 20 pounds of manure in a 10 pound sack.

It started splitting at the seams years ago, and they haven't done anything to alleviate the overcrowding.

They did too good of a job selling themselves as the vacation capital of the world and didn't expand the infrastructure to match the crowds.

Every time I go to one of the parks I feel like my invisibility spell is working overtime.  Yes I played D & D 35-40 years ago 😉

Walking humans, strollers and EVCs and scooters seem not to see me.  Very annoying but I have learned to keep an eye out for them.

Do you remember the old strollers Disney rented?  They were wonderful for children, would lay back flat so a child could really get a good nap.  Find a shady spot and have a sit down till said child woke with his/her engine recharged.  BUT when the leg rest was extended and the person pushing didn't care or wasn't watchful of legs in front of the stroller OUCH.  I quickly learned to stay away from them. 

My problem now seems to be not being seen.  I run into that problem a lot of places, not just parks.  People have gotten very rude IMO. 🙄

3 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Exactly. 

The problem isn’t the scooter or the stroller. It’s the people who operate them.  

Wouldn't it be nice if WDW had cast members who could stop and educate the rude people, and take away the rented item if they didn't start being nice.

But that will never happen  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

12 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Wouldn't it be nice if WDW had cast members who could stop and educate the rude people, and take away the rented item if they didn't start being nice.

But that will never happen  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's not just people with scooters and strollers, far too many people walking down Main St. or where ever just come to a complete stop right in the middle of a crowd. Even in a grocery store. How many stop in the middle of an aisle instead of staying on one side or the other?  It is obvious that common courtesy and sense have gone "out the window" period.

9 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

It's not just people with scooters and strollers, far too many people walking down Main St. or where ever just come to a complete stop right in the middle of a crowd. Even in a grocery store. How many stop in the middle of an aisle instead of staying on one side or the other?  It is obvious that common courtesy and sense have gone "out the window" period.

Aint that the truth!!!

Park the cart in the middle of the aisle and have a phone conversation about which type of spaghetti sauce to purchase.

Entire families standing in the middle of the walkway deciding where to eat at the parks or what ride is next.

Drivers blocking intersections so no one else can make a turn instead of leaving an opening to side roads and parking lots.

It all boils down to rudeness, lack of common sense and an entitlement that the world revolves around them and everyone else can take a flying leap

55 minutes ago, Travisma said:

That will never happen.  It'll cut down of people getting food, drinks, and other merchandise.

Are you kidding? At the speed the people mover goes they could line the entire route with wall to wall stands and kiosks to make a killing. "We are now leaving the entrance. Up next will be the Main St. Bakery where you  can get our newly returned Ooey, Gooey Cinnamon Rolls." "Our next place to throw your hard earned cash will be the Disney Merchandise Mile. Pick up all you Disney needs while never leaving your seat."  

I can already see the number crunchers salivating over the idea.

25 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Even in a grocery store. How many stop in the middle of an aisle instead of staying on one side or the other?  It is obvious that common courtesy and sense have gone "out the window" period.

They always seem to stop right in front of the entrance doors when we go shopping. Then they give you a dirty look when you say "Excuse me" wanting to go in. 

10 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

My 80 yr old mom doesn’t use a scooter on a daily basis.  So she doesn’t own her own. As a matter of fact the last time she used one was at Disneyland.    She doesn’t need a scooter on a daily basis.  Because she’s not at a p.ark we’re she is walking several miles every day.  She needs a scooter at WDW.   So yes. Many peoples first time using a scooter is at WDW or other amusement parks.  I don’t think it’s a good idea to punish legitimate users of scooters because a few people abuse them  

I think it would be best if Disney had a set of uniform standards that all scooter companies used. Speed, size, lights, etc. 

I also use a scooter at times, don't need one daily, but can not stand and walk all day, also near 80 myself. I bought my own, they are fairly cheap if bought used and the batteries are not expensive. You can get a good one for around $300 and a set of batteries are less than a $100 delivered to your house, making it cheaper than renting a couple of times. So I do not have any objection to anyone using one if they need it, but I have seen young healthy people renting them just so they don't have to walk and have seen kids being pushed in rented strollers who were healthy and old enough to walk all day. We use to take our grandkid when they were younger 3-4 years old and they walk with us until we would leave the park. So I agree, legitimate users should be able to use scooters, but if not a legitimate user they should not be able to rent a scooter. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, BigTom said:

I also use a scooter at times, don't need one daily, but can not stand and walk all day, also near 80 myself. I bought my own, they are fairly cheap if bought used and the batteries are not expensive. You can get a good one for around $300 and a set of batteries are less than a $100 delivered to your house, making it cheaper than renting a couple of times. So I do not have any objection to anyone using one if they need it, but I have seen young healthy people renting them just so they don't have to walk and have seen kids being pushed in rented strollers who were healthy and old enough to walk all day. We use to take our grandkid when they were younger 3-4 years old and they walk with us until we would leave the park. So I agree, legitimate users should be able to use scooters, but if not a legitimate user they should not be able to rent a scooter. Just my opinion.

YES!

2 hours ago, BigTom said:

Yes, I know some people have hidden disabilities and you can't judge a person by just looking at them.

BUT

A while back, I was waiting near the Teacup ride when a string of  5 scooters came flying by. The first 3 were youngish people (30s) 2 women and a man and each one had a kid on their lap.

The last two were a man and woman probably in their 50s, again with kids on their laps. These were not little kids, all 5 had to be at least 6 or older.

They all parked, hopped out and went scurrying to get into line for the ride.

Again, you can't judge a book... but what were the odds that all 5 healthy looking people from 1 family needed scooters?

23 hours ago, BigTom said:

Agree.  Unfortunately some people will abuse rules designed to help people with special needs.  

On our last trip to DL with my mom I looked into getting a used scooter.   But we were only going for 2 days.  And it had been 4 years since her last trip to DL or WDW.   Not sure how long the batteries last and replacing them can’t be cheap.  

Also, transporting a scooter thru airports from Oklahoma to California or Orlando is a P.I.T.B.

For my mom’s situation it just doesn’t make sense to buy a scooter.