Don't like those bulky wagons at Disney? This is for you!

http://doctordisney.com/2019/03/25/walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-reportedly-set-to-strictly-enforce-stroller-size-limits-no-wagons/?fbclid=IwAR3bD6mAPtgon-PtOoTpPvawG-fr-abQvIr6AoKmk796fliNQG4BpAfGwQ8

For years, the theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort haven’t been overly strict on the size of strollers brought in by guests. Well, it appears as if all of that may soon change as stroller size limits will soon be strictly enforced as will the “no wagons” policy.

walt disney world disneyland stroller size limit keenz wagons

If you check out the list of “Prohibited Items” for Disneyland and Walt Disney World, you will see that guests may not bring in:

• Strollers larger than 36″x52″ (92cm x 132cm).
  • Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an Electronic Conveyance Vehicle, wheelchair or stroller, or pulled by a person, including wagons.

Now, these rules haven’t always been enforced which has resulted in big wagons being brought in, stroller-like creations that look like Cinderella’s Coach, and even larger conveyances. Well, it appears as if Disney is going to start cracking down on these items an enforcing the rules in a stricter manner.

As a matter of fact, these newly enforced rules may go into place as of May 1, 2019.

Am told WDW and DLR will start enforcing stroller size limits May 1: 31" by 52", including a "no wagons" policy. Seems to be addressing strollers like the Keenz 7s?

Disney has not officially said anything about this as of yet, but the rules of “no wagons” and not having an overly large stroller have been in place on their websites for years.

25 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

I know the Keenz site has touted that their whatever you want to call them monstrosities are allowed at Disney, because they are pushed and not pulled, so therefore they aren't a "wagon".

We were there a few weeks ago and I saw a couple other brands that now has the push handles on them.

There are going to be a lot of screaming mommy bloggers when they can't bring in these and triple jogging strollers.

I would also like Disney to add a rule that states that any self-propelled assistive devices must have headlights in front and taillights in back turned on when it gets dark.  Further, these devices should be prohibited from driving side-by-side while in the parks, and especially in the stores.  We have been nearly run down several times by rookie drivers not able to handle their devices, and in the dark, you can't see them coming through the crowds.  On our trip to WDW in Feb., one driver on a device ran right into DW's leg, and didn't even say she was sorry.

My dad and my sister's father-in-law were on scooters last year when they went.  Both of them have severe back problems and have had surgery, so they cannot keep up with my sister's family, who are all under the age of 10.  The rudeness goes both ways, as they wanted to go slow because they were learning the scooters.  There were families (mostly younger) cussing the two of them out because they "weren't going fast enough".  I told my dad that from now on, we would rent them a wheelchair.  I have noticed, just from my personal observations, that if you are pushing someone in a wheelchair, people react to that in a more positive way than a scooter.  Just my opinion however.

14 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

I have noticed, just from my personal observations, that if you are pushing someone in a wheelchair, people react to that in a more positive way than a scooter.  Just my opinion however.

We've never had any issues and the majority of the time people are very accomodating. Holding doors etc, even at DL. As I mentioned in the other thread ours are a almost 1/2 the size of the rentals however.

Funny comments.  I’ve had the terrible misfortune of having to use a triple strolller.  A double stroller, and some weird slimmed down 2 seat 1 stand on version of a three child transport device.  Any of the “mom bloggers” have every rt to be upset.  I don’t think anyone enjoys using these things.  Try getting on the boat at the fort w one.  Or in a bus.  Or trolly. Or thru a door.  Or strapping it to your golf cart to drive to the bus to push all your kids thru the greatest place on earth. Personal opinion is that I would rather see the jazzys banned before wagons.  We use a wagon everywhere.  It’s way easier and much less difficult to maneuver around.  Not to mention lighter.  We were at an event one night in Hollywood studios and it was so crowded and the jazzys were literally ramming my double stroller off the road.  So while I do think everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy Disney.  Id cast my vote to limiting the jazzy epidemic first.  

In my opinion, the problem at Disney Parks isn't the big strollers, or the wagons.  And the problem isn't the scooters.  The problem at Disney Parks is all of the dadgum people.  There are just TOO MANY PEOPLE in those parks.  Reduce capacity, and allow the folks to just enjoy their day without getting all stressed out over crowds, fastpasses, fireworks viewing spots, long lines, finding a seat at a restaurant, etc.  That's why I bailed on Disney and just go to Dollywood.  I can walk in at park opening without an ounce of planning, ride everything I want, get a great meal without a reservation, walk into a show and find a good seat, and leave not feeling like I need a week of vacation to recover from my vacation. 

There are big strollers and scooters at Dollywood.  You just walk around them.  Because you can.  

7 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

In my opinion, the problem at Disney Parks isn't the big strollers, or the wagons.  And the problem isn't the scooters.  The problem at Disney Parks is all of the dadgum people.  There are just TOO MANY PEOPLE in those parks.  Reduce capacity, and allow the folks to just enjoy their day without getting all stressed out over crowds, fastpasses, fireworks viewing spots, long lines, finding a seat at a restaurant, etc.  That's why I bailed on Disney and just go to Dollywood.  I can walk in at park opening without an ounce of planning, ride everything I want, get a great meal without a reservation, walk into a show and find a good seat, and leave not feeling like I need a week of vacation to recover from my vacation. 

There are big strollers and scooters at Dollywood.  You just walk around them.  Because you can.  

Haha... yes.   The kids and I just went to Dollywood for the weekend.  I heard some folks "complaining" about a 25 minute ride for one of the more popular attractions.  I had to laugh.  Honestly, I think the longest line there, was for the cinnamon bread :lol:

As for those huge wagon strollers... mercy, those really need to go.  In my opinion, I think Disney should limit strollers to umbrella strollers only.  Or maybe a certain dimensions only.  We did one trip where both of our kiddos were using a stroller and I used a small sit/stand that worked perfectly without talking up the space that those silly double joggers or those wagons do.  Heck, I've seen some smart parents use that same stroller and manage with three kids.  Having said that, I do agree with you Dave and that the crowd capacity is the root of the issue. 

6 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

We've never had any issues and the majority of the time people are very accomodating. Holding doors etc, even at DL. As I mentioned in the other thread ours are a almost 1/2 the size of the rentals however.

When we are with Fiends that have the smaller scooters, people are much less aggressive towards the people on the scooters.  I believe the rented scooters are too large for the space and functionality of what they were made for.  IMHO

36" X 52" is still pretty darn big and I can see people pushing the limits. 

21 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I think Disney should limit strollers to umbrella strollers only

This is my line of thinking too. Disney should ban the two and three kid stroller models and require each one to be in a stroller their own.  I know this could earn me a permanent ban from the Disney number crunchers but maybe they could just let people use a Disney supplied stroller for free.

If they limited strollers to umbrella style only (that would be FANTASTIC), how would the Mommy Bloggers get their street cred? 

They won't be able to show off their $500 to $1,000 specially imported strollers that make them the talk of their playgroups and make them the Queen Bees!

I'm glad we are done raising kids.  We were thrilled when we found a Levis umbrella stroller for our first daughter back in 1978.  I think we spent a whopping $23 for it.  We used it for at least 2 more kids, maybe 3.  The holes in the frame where the axle went wallowed out, so I removed the axle, hammered dowels into the frame and re-drilled the holes.  Got a couple more years use out of it.

Now they have all of these modern strollers where the kids are suspended in mid air 3 feet off the ground and they cost as much as my first car did.

A lot of parents are buying the umbrella strollers, using them in the parks and evidently just leaving them behind when they head home.  

I say this because every so often a bunch of the strollers show up at the Sharing Center in Longwood, FL and can be bought for very few dollars.  Also selfie sticks, tho I haven't seen them as much lately.  Maybe the word is out? 

I'm sure this is not the only used stuff store that benefits from WDW.

It is official along with two other policy changes. I have copied the official notice from the Travel Agent site below. 

STROLLERS

Beginning May 1, we are adjusting our guidelines on stroller sizes, which will require them to be no larger than 31" (79cm) wide and 52" (132cm) long or smaller. The good news – many of the strollers on the market, including many double jogging strollers, fit within these size guidelines. Also, just a reminder that wagons are not permitted in our parks. Beginning May 1, stroller wagons will also no longer be permitted. These updates are designed to help guest flow and ease congestion, making the parks more enjoyable for everyone.

TIP: The smaller your stroller, the easier it is to navigate and maneuver the parks. At Walt Disney World Resort, your clients can rent a single or double stroller once they arrive, and they can be rented each day. Or, they can choose a Length of Stay Rental, which will save them time and money. While Walt Disney World already offers a double stroller rental, Disneyland Resort will soon offer one too.

SMOKING

Also beginning May 1, smoking areas will no longer be present inside Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme parks, water parks, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex or Downtown Disney in California.

TIP: Designated smoking areas will be available outside the entrances to the areas listed above, and at Disney Springs in Florida. For guests who have room or dining reservations, smoking areas are also available at Disney Resort hotels.

LOOSE ICE

Beginning today, if your clients plan to bring a cooler or cooler bag to store snacks and drinks for theme park or water park adventures, it’s important to know that loose or dry ice are no longer permitted.

TIP: We recommend your clients use re-useable ice packs instead. Complimentary cups of ice are available at Food & Beverage locations inside the parks if needed.

9 hours ago, kadancer said:

I must be a horrible Mommy since my oldest son never did Disney in a stroller.  He has been walking the parks since his first trip at 4 years of age.  

When our kids were little we never used a stroller in Disneyland. If they got tired Rene or I would carry them or we would stop and sit down for a bit. I don't remember the exact age but think our oldest would have been in her late threes maybe four for her first visit. 

9 minutes ago, keith_h said:

When our kids were little we never used a stroller in Disneyland. If they got tired Rene or I would carry them or we would stop and sit down for a bit. I don't remember the exact age but think our oldest would have been in her late threes maybe four for her first visit. 

Y’all missed out on the beauty of having a stroller. 

DD was 2 1/2 years old on her first trip. And we loved having a stroller.    It held her snacks, drinks, extra clothes. She took her afternoon nap in it. 

The stroller allowed us to enjoy the park for longer each day.  There’s no way a 2 1/2 year old could walk around all day nor my back could have handled carrying her for extended periods of time.  

Sometimes I wish we still had the stroller. I’m tired of lugging around a back pack all day. 😂 

21 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

DD was 2 1/2 years old on her first trip. And we loved having a stroller.    It held her snacks, drinks, extra clothes. She took her afternoon nap in it. 

The stroller allowed us to enjoy the park for longer each day.  There’s no way a 2 1/2 year old could walk around all day nor my back could have handled carrying her for extended periods of time.  

Sometimes I wish we still had the stroller. I’m tired of lugging around a back pack all day. 😂 

That's what the overpriced and inconvenient lockers are for!

4 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

That smoking change is huge news.  

They've been prepping for this for years. When the designated smoking areas first started, they were plentiful and in beautiful little hideaway areas where you could sit and relax, and enjoy a quiet corner of the park. Then they slowly started moving them around, eliminating some, and moving them to less than desirable areas to spend time in. For the last 3 years or so, there have only been 2 areas in each park. (Epcot was the exception, I think 3 in World Showcase and 2 in Future World).

1 minute ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

They've been prepping for this for years. When the designated smoking areas first started, they were plentiful and in beautiful little hideaway areas where you could sit and relax, and enjoy a quiet corner of the park. Then they slowly started moving them around, eliminating some, and moving them to less than desirable areas to spend time in. For the last 3 years or so, there have only been 2 areas in each park. (Epcot was the exception, I think 3 in World Showcase and 2 in Future World).

Next thing, they will be handing out packs of nicotine gum to smokers to keep them inside the parks spending $$, instead of wasting time going in and out of the parks.

3 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

My boys were 10 & 11 our first trip, so no strollers for us, but a few years ago we brought a friend and her 3 yo grandson in a stroller. HATED it. The kid was fine in the stroller, but you had to go park the stroller, and deal with squirmy, possibly escape artist kid in the lines. Then after the ride, you had to go find the stroller again. If and when I bring grandkids  to the parks, they will be in the 7 and up age range.

8 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

We never had an issue with time in the parks. When the girls were little we would take them during the day then dump them with my aunt who we stayed with when in SoCal. Rene and I  would then head back for an adult only night visit. As they got older we would go in the AM, leave and return after dinner. It also helped that we lived in the Bay Area and we could head down to SoCal to visit family about once a month. This allowed us to have plenty of Disneyland visits. At times remembering our easy access when we lived in CA makes me wish we were closer to WDW so we could visit more often. However with grandkids now in the picture we will be staying in the Central Piedmont for many more years.

I got use to carrying the kids for long periods as we would camp and hike up in the Sierra's a couple of times a month in season. We started both on camping when they were about 6 months old. The grandson will be one in a few days and Rene is already talking about how we need to get him out camping. Guess I better dig out the old baby backpack and start practicing.