I-75 and I-24 Closures in Chattanooga

Part of a bridge carrying I-75 over I-24 where those roads converge in Chattanooga collapsed a short time ago.  I don't think there were any life threatening injuries, but traffic is a mess and the area should be avoided in the coming days.  

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2019/apr/01/railing-bridge-collapses-i-24-west-split-area-closed-traffic/491724/

Our local news said last night, there was evidence of someone hitting it. There was no rust in the rebar inside the concrete, no evidence of water intrusion on the concrete "break" points, and it all looked sound. They figure someone ran into it overnight, and managed to get away from the area without notifying authorities.

12 hours ago, YENSIDCAMPER said:

That must have been some big rig to cause that much damage. 

With our crumbling infrastructure and lack of highway/bridge funding and maintenance it doesn't take much damage to bring down these structures.

This was a concrete railing section that fell. 

On early theory was a wide load on the bridge itself hit the railing section causing it to break off and fall onto I-75.  I don't know if that has been dismissed as a possibility or they are still following that lead.