DaveInTN

I-75 and I-24 Closures in Chattanooga

Part of a bridge carrying I-75 over I-24 where those roads converge in Chattanooga collapsed a short time ago.  I don't think there were any life threatening injuries, but traffic is a mess and the area should be avoided in the coming days.  

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2019/apr/01/railing-bridge-collapses-i-24-west-split-area-closed-traffic/491724/

Right now, it looks like 75 northbound is getting through, but very slowly.  Likewise, I-24 east getting onto 75 in both directions is passable.  You cannot travel south on 75 through Chattanooga, nor can you access I-24 from 75 northbound.  

On 4/1/2019 at 3:23 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Wow, we just took that road on Thursday night, trying it as an alternative to the mess that is Birmingham.

I very happy you didn't have this happen to you.  A good thing it happened in daylight also.

Wow! We were just there also, on Friday night (Southbound on 75) and returning on Saturday night (24 East bound) on our way back from Huntsville. That whole transition is a mess under normal circumstances, I can't imagine dealing with it now. Not good.

Our local news said last night, there was evidence of someone hitting it. There was no rust in the rebar inside the concrete, no evidence of water intrusion on the concrete "break" points, and it all looked sound. They figure someone ran into it overnight, and managed to get away from the area without notifying authorities.

12 hours ago, YENSIDCAMPER said:

That must have been some big rig to cause that much damage. 

With our crumbling infrastructure and lack of highway/bridge funding and maintenance it doesn't take much damage to bring down these structures.

This was a concrete railing section that fell. 

On early theory was a wide load on the bridge itself hit the railing section causing it to break off and fall onto I-75.  I don't know if that has been dismissed as a possibility or they are still following that lead.