RUMOR: Disney eliminating evening Extra Magic Hours

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!  :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

MAGIC KINGDOM WILL ELIMINATE EVENING EXTRA MAGIC HOURS

Recently, I was informed that the Magic Kingdom will eliminate Late Extra Magic hours for onsite guests.  It caught me a bit off guard, so I wanted to to further research.  According to what I’m seeing, it does appear to be true.  Here’s the details:

Switching Evening to Morning

According to my source, the Magic Kingdom will eliminate Late Extra Magic Hours (EEMH) beginning in October 2019.  I had originally been provided EEMH for Wednesdays in October, but I was informed to remove them at a later time.  I was wondering why I was given that direction.  Then a few days later I was informed that I should change all the EEMH for Morning Extra Magic Hours.  I figured they were just switching around things.

Well, after watching the first full week of Magic Kingdom park hours go live officially on the Disney World website, there are no EEMH listed for Magic Kingdom!  Instead, Wednesday and Friday now have Morning Extra Morning Hours only.  I also updated my Crowd Calendar of October based on this report and on the evidence at hand.

No official confirmation

I attempted to reach out to some official Disney sources, but no one  replied to my emails.  When I noticed the Hollywood Studios had dropped their Evening Extra Magic Hours back in November 2016, there was no official confirmation from Disney World.  It was complete radio silence.  It took most people a month or two to realize what was going on.

Because there is no official confirmation and we only have 1 week of officially listed park hours on the Disney website, it should still be treated as an unofficial post, but all evidence points to the Magic Kingdom removing Evening Extra Magic Hours and replacing it with an additional Morning Extra Magic Hour.

Late time in the park for sale?

The Magic Kingdom Evening Extra Magic Hours have always been our favorite when staying onsite, especially back when the Evening Extra Magic Hours consisted of 3 extra hours in the park.  At this time, it appears that extra time in the park after traditional park closing will consist of Halloween Parties, Christmas Parties and Disney After Dark hard ticket events, each at an additional cost.

Evening Extra Magic Hours could return at some point in the future.  Hollywood Studios offered it for a short time after the Toy Story Land grand opening.  It’s impossible to predict what will occur, but I’ll keep you updated.

https://www.kennythepirate.com/2019/04/10/magic-kingdom-will-eliminate-evening-extra-magic-hours/?fbclid=IwAR19t-BhNvMixuV4kxwnHKfUUQsJ6Dghf4zxU_VvL2sayRT9jS32i8MyBng

I saw a rumor post on FB where someone said that the MK was going to open 24 hours, and you would have a day ticket or a night ticket to help alleviate the crowds.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the deep dark evil panning department, they are contemplating date specific tickets and capping attendance to only those people. 

You know, like how they do the Halloween and Christmas Parties to keep the attendance manageable! :P

If you have an AP you would have to schedule the days you want to go.

58 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

It's also possible with as many Halloween Party nights as they are running they are just not going to run EMH again until January. We shall see what happens. 

Good point.

49 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Why give something away that you can charge for?

That was my first thought, especially since the "After Hours" events have proven to be popular.

35 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I saw a rumor post on FB where someone said that the MK was going to open 24 hours, and you would have a day ticket or a night ticket to help alleviate the crowds.

I don't see that happening as a regular thing.  It's not just a case of the park being open, they'd have to keep transportation open as well.  And as fun as it may sound to whackadoodles like me, the reality is that you're not going to get many people in there overnight on a regular basis to justify the overhead.

Besides, Disney doesn't need to restrict the # of people in the parks while the parks continue to stay full even with increased ticket prices.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

Why give something away that you can charge for?

That's what I was thinking as well.

Rene and I planned our park visits around the nighttime extra hours. With the way resort guest perks keep disappearing it is getting harder to justify trips to the Fort.  

8 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Rene and I planned our park visits around the nighttime extra hours. 

We did too.  We're not early birds anyway, and by the time we get the dogs all exercised and settled, we aren't usually walking into a park until noon-ish.  We might spring for an "after hours" ticket once in a trip, but otherwise we're going to need to tweak our park time.  My guess is that we'll end up spending more evenings resort hopping or catching some music/drinks at Disney Springs.

40 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

My guess is that we'll end up spending more evenings resort hopping or catching some music/drinks at Disney Springs.

And there is yet ANOTHER good reason for Disney to move people out of the parks in the evening.  So they go to Disney Springs and SPEND MONEY.  

I guess the Mouse needs a new pair of shoes.  

That's a real bummer we get almost everything done we like in evening magic hours. One more good thing leaving Disney to bring in more stuff I couldn't care less about. And that includes all the after hours parties. I already pay for a A.P. why would I want to pay more.

It's really becoming very obvious what direction they are heading with this. I truly believe there is going to be, and its already started, a completely different pricing structure and a forced culture change in the way we all visit DW. It has to evolve to survive as a pleasant desirable experience.

You know, as much as it should bother me, it really doesn't. We LOVE evening EMH, because we are NOT early risers, but we're having to face the fact that we're no longer night owls either. Several times lately, we've booked late afternoon FP+, then dinner, then have every intention of going back for late EMH, well by the time dinner is over, we're ready for the recliner back at the camper, with the intention of going back out later, then another Fiend pops by, then we're running our mouths, and the drinks at the camper are there, then....... well you see how that goes 🙂

With all of the crowds that now seem to be at the parks, do you think this may have something to do with culling out and separating who stays and who goes at the end of the day(resort/non-resort folks)?  I know that Disney is in it to make as much money as it can, but just looking at this from a tactical perspective, its much easier to allow the onsite guests in at the beginning of the day, than having all the cast member usher out the non-resort folk at the end of the day...

Not sure how the Disney After Hours gig works, but with the Halloween and Christmas parties, it is somewhat easier  to spot the wrist bands to help separate the masses at the end of the day...

I hope I'm making sense...

28 minutes ago, Duane said:

With all of the crowds that now seem to be at the parks, do you think this may have something to do with culling out and separating who stays and who goes at the end of the day(resort/non-resort folks)?  I know that Disney is in it to make as much money as it can, but just looking at this from a tactical perspective, its much easier to allow the onsite guests in at the beginning of the day, than having all the cast member usher out the non-resort folk at the end of the day...

Not sure how the Disney After Hours gig works, but with the Halloween and Christmas parties, it is somewhat easier  to spot the wrist bands to help separate the masses at the end of the day...

I hope I'm making sense...

After Hours I think had a lanyard when we did it last August. Not sure if they have switched to just wrist bands

1 hour ago, Specularius said:

For the evening hours you were not allowed on any rides if not a resort guest. They just scanned everyone's band before allowing them into the Que. 

Yeah MBs made the whole PM EMH much easier than before when everyone had to whip out a resort ID.

54 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

After Hours I think had a lanyard when we did it last August. Not sure if they have switched to just wrist bands

Makes sense that if you're paying extra, you should at least get a custom lanyard - which is also a lot easier to spot than a wristband.

Fingers crossed this rumor pans out. It's not a lot, but it's better than nothing.

Evening Extra Magic Hours Set to Return to Magic Kingdom in November

by MIKE

According to our sources and internal calendars, Disney has added four evening Extra Magic Hours (EMH) back into their schedule for November. This comes after they removed all evening Extra Magic Hours for the month of October, causing a bit of an uproar within the Disney fan community.

Currently, the internal calendar calls for evening EMH on November 6, 13, 20, and 27. There are still morning Extra Magic Hours on the calendar, but it’s the nighttime EMH that most guests find to be less crowded and with a one hour longer runtime compared to the morning offering.

As of publish time, there are still no evening EMH listed for the entire month of October. Why Disney has removed evening EMH for October only remains to be seen. Villains Disney After Hours is currently only on the books through August 8th, but Disney could announce more Disney After Hours dates, with or without a theme, as the event has proven to be quite popular in the past.

As with any unreleased information, this is subject to change before Disney officially publishes their calendar. As of today, Disney has only made their calendar available through October 19th.

http://blogmickey.com/2019/04/evening-extra-magic-hours-set-to-return-to-magic-kingdom-in-november/?fbclid=IwAR19TOEVA4tXhURJJMZiqiD8um9cESYneSANZW8tr0Xf3lzHkbiaTFbuYvY

4 hours ago, keith_h said:

I wonder if their plan is to run EMH in the slower periods and make guests pay for the privilege during busier times. 

Possibly. They'd already scaled PM EMH back from 3 hours to 2 a couple of years ago, and given how well the nighttime parties have sold, it's not really surprising.  Scaling it further to just one night a week, and only during some times, isn't a huge surprise, and it's better than zero nights a week.

20 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Possibly. They'd already scaled PM EMH back from 3 hours to 2 a couple of years ago, and given how well the nighttime parties have sold, it's not really surprising.  Scaling it further to just one night a week, and only during some times, isn't a huge surprise, and it's better than zero nights a week.

I agree something is better than nothing. However with all of the up charging going on for things guests use to get on a complimentary basis you have to wonder if staying on property is getting to the point to be worth it.

18 hours ago, keith_h said:

I agree something is better than nothing. However with all of the up charging going on for things guests use to get on a complimentary basis you have to wonder if staying on property is getting to the point to be worth it.

If you're an AP holder, is staying on property really worth it, since you have free parking at the parks anyway?

You're paying a big up-charge to stay in a so so room, that is probably 50 to 75% less $$ off site.   As a park guest, you can go to those resorts and enjoy the majority of the amenities without staying there.

Your free resort parking is now gone which was a nice perk. The majority of off property sites do charge for a parking or a resort fee (some both) but even with them added on your room will still cost less per night.

About 50% of the people posting here and on other Disney FB pages say to avoid the "free"  (that your usually overpriced room funded) transportation and drive to the parks. So there's another perk that has withered away.

They are cutting back on the extra hours.

We've stayed at Port Orleans, The Dolphin and  The Yacht Club, but each of those times were during black out dates so we utilized the amenities of the resorts and had a good time (this was prior to the parking fee). We booked all of them thru the 3rd party sites and got them for the same or very slightly higher price than off site.

Is the Disney Magic and Pixie Dust worth the extra charge?

20 hours ago, keith_h said:

I decided last minute to come one day earlier next month. I looked at several hotels around WDW to stay at. Most decent hotels that have  A swimming pool and a restaurant start at about $125 per night. I was able to book pop for $125 per night. Since I’ll be flying in I’ll be using Disney’s magical express.  This will save me approximately $30 over an Uber ride.   

So for me, this trip is definitely worth staying on property.