DVC Hilton Head question

Hi all -

We're heading to HHI this month and wanted to know if visitors can stop by the resort there to check things out. Do you have to be a guest? Or can a visitor maybe grab a bite to eat or something from the mercantile shop there? I have heard rumours of Dole Whip availability...

I don’t see why not. Even if they didn’t let you pull your car in you could park at the stores/marina that are right in front of it and you could walk in.

Keep in mind they have a beach house that is probably about a mile from the resort. It’s doubtful you could gain access to that. You may be able to walk through to the beach but I seem to remember you needed your key card (probably magic band now) to get in to the actual building and pool area.

We’ve been there once and really liked it. Have wanted to return but just haven’t made it back yet.

Edited to add: I just looked back to find a quick overview I posted about it back in 2012. Can’t believe it’s been that long. If you’re interested it’s here: 

15 hours ago, dvccamper said:

I don’t see why not. Even if they didn’t let you pull your car in you could park at the stores/marina that are right in front of it and you could walk in.

Keep in mind they have a beach house that is probably about a mile from the resort. It’s doubtful you could gain access to that. You may be able to walk through to the beach but I seem to remember you needed your key card (probably magic band now) to get in to the actual building and pool area.

We’ve been there once and really liked it. Have wanted to return but just haven’t made it back yet.

Edited to add: I just looked back to find a quick overview I posted about it back in 2012. Can’t believe it’s been that long. If you’re interested it’s here:

We are renting a condo in Palmetto Dunes, and their beach house is near the Disney one. We're looking forward to our stay on HHI, and the info I've gotten from others is that they normally allow visitors (you have to check in at the front desk) to the resort as long as there is not an event going on, and they can visit the mercantile and the restaurant if it's open.

27 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

We are renting a condo in Palmetto Dunes, and their beach house is near the Disney one. We're looking forward to our stay on HHI, and the info I've gotten from others is that they normally allow visitors (you have to check in at the front desk) to the resort as long as there is not an event going on, and they can visit the mercantile and the restaurant if it's open.

That sounds promising. Enjoy your vacation!

• 2 weeks later...

We've stayed at the HH Harbor and Marina campground for the last 4 or so years.  I have been all through the DVC,  ride bikes over from Palmetto Dunes, and roll right in.  There is a cool boardwalk in the back and you can go to the quick service and the store.  There is a great sign for photo ops and hammocks all over to relax in.  Also, go to the beach house  on the beach in Palmetto Dunes for Mickey Bars, Dole whips and quick service lunch. The Disney Beach House is also the PD public beach access. with a parking lot and bike racks, but that section is gated.  

Have Fun!

We had a great time on HHI last week, and it only took us three tries to get a dole whip!

First time, we stopped at the DVC lobby and they waved us through, but we got to the QS five minutes after they closed. The next day we walked down to the beach house and the side window was already closed for the day. We went back the next day for lunch and got our dole whips (mine with rum, yum). Our kids biked there a few times for DW during the week.

We really enjoyed the beaches there and it was a nice surprise to get a little Disney feel in while we were there.

18 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

We had a great time on HHI last week, and it only took us three tries to get a dole whip!

First time, we stopped at the DVC lobby and they waved us through, but we got to the QS five minutes after they closed. The next day we walked down to the beach house and the side window was already closed for the day. We went back the next day for lunch and got our dole whips (mine with rum, yum). Our kids biked there a few times for DW during the week.

We really enjoyed the beaches there and it was a nice surprise to get a little Disney feel in while we were there.

Glad you had a fun trip and that your persistence paid off for the dole whip 🙂