A nice encounter at Disneyland

Not really a trip report but a nice story anyway. My wife and I got back last night from visiting our daughter and son in law who live in vista, CA, just north of San Diego. As part of the visit we spent a few days at the Grand Californian hotel and spent time in Disneyland and California Adventure. One night we were eating dinner at the Carnation Cafe (delicious) and this older gentleman (dressed as a guest) approached our table and asked us if we’ve been there before and how we liked our meal. At first I thought, “Who is this guy?”. Then our server came over and as she was putting something on our table said, “Excuse me Oscar.” Then I realized it was Chef Oscar Martinez who retired from Disneyland in 2017. He started in fast food in 1956; moved to the Carnation Cafe in 1967. He remembers Walt Disney walking the parks in the morning. 

In any case, after he finished with us, I watched him move from table to table; a retired chef still making sure people enjoyed the restaurant. It was a really special thing to see.