For once in a long time, I have some predictability in my summer schedules at work.  We already had 2019 locked up, but I'm looking at 2020 for a Florida trip and a few days at Disney in there as well.  We aren't Disney newbs, but we are Fort rookies.  The plan right now is towards the end of June 2020.  I'm shooting to check-in on a Sunday and check out on a Thursday.  

What day of the week is the best to check-in so you can get the dates/spot/etc you want?

I can't speak for summer as we will never go to Florida in the summer. For other times of the year the Fort tends to clear out from the weekenders on Sunday so it is a good day to arrive. For our trips we always stay from Sunday and check out on the following Friday and have never had a problem. I think the only time the Fort is really hard to get into is on weekends and around the various holidays.

I suggest you get in touch with our resident travel agent Jason from MouseCounselors. He is an active Fiend, great to work with and always willing to provide information about staying at the Fort or other WDW properties. His advert appears on the main forum screen and has contact information.

I would agree that Sunday is a good day to check in.  Typically, that is the day we check in, and generally have not had any problems.  Remember that you can call for reservations 500 days out, so you can book now.

Good Luck!

Thanks for both responses.  I know every where else I want to go, Sunday is usually a good time to arrive.  Disney seems to be the exception on everything.

Also, thanks for the suggestion for a travel counselor.  I have a friend that's already locked me up in perpetuity for any Disney trips.  

Alright, my reservations are booked.  Decided to check in on Sunday and check out on Saturday.  Have some time to smell the flowers.  I have plenty of time, but I can't help planning the trip down there.  KS to FL is a big trip.

Planning to stop near the KY/TN border off of I-24 on Day 1.  Northern GA off I-75 on Day 2. Then cruise into Disney mid-day SUN.  I have a few spots we'd like to stop along the way (Fort Donalson Natl Monument, Ocmulgee Natl Monument...kids love the NPS Jr Ranger Program).

We're not opposed to staying in a Wal-Mart, Cabela's, etc on the way down, but does anyone have any gem of campgrounds or attractions to break up the 19 hour drive for the kids?

Second question, after WDW we plan to head over to Cape Canaveral Seashore.  Any good tips for that area?

Thanks

21 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

We like to camp at this place.  https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Campground

You get to watch cruise ships coming and going.  The Disney ship often plays a song on their horn.

X-2  Great park, but hard to get reservations if you want full hook-up.  

I've stayed at Holiday Travel Park at Exit 1 in North Georgia before. Nice park, easy on, easy off. That is the only park I'm familiar with North of Atlanta.

If you want to get South of Atlanta the 2nd night, then I recommend the Forsyth KOA just South of Atlanta, or if you want to get even further South, there is Eagles Roost RV Resort at Exit 5 just North of the FL border.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I've stayed at Holiday Travel Park at Exit 1 in North Georgia before. Nice park, easy on, easy off. That is the only park I'm familiar with North of Atlanta.

If you want to get South of Atlanta the 2nd night, then I recommend the Forsyth KOA just South of Atlanta, or if you want to get even further South, there is Eagles Roost RV Resort at Exit 5 just North of the FL border.

Also Exit 350 in GA is a former KOA in Ringold just S of Chattanooga.  .

There are several options in Perry as well,  Fair Harbor and also Carroll's Sausage store has an over night FH campground right next door. 

On 8/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

We like to camp at this place.  https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Campground

You get to watch cruise ships coming and going.  The Disney ship often plays a song on their horn.

That park looks amazing.  The FHU isn't a necessity, especially since we'd be on FHU at FW for a week.  The beach access looks great.  Thanks!

On 8/7/2019 at 9:25 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I've stayed at Holiday Travel Park at Exit 1 in North Georgia before. Nice park, easy on, easy off. That is the only park I'm familiar with North of Atlanta

Looks like a great stopover. 

On 8/7/2019 at 9:25 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Based on what I plan for the day, I don't think ATL traffic later in the day are going to mesh with my vacation disposition.  

On 8/9/2019 at 9:56 AM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Also Exit 350 in GA is a former KOA in Ringold just S of Chattanooga.  .

There are several options in Perry as well,  Fair Harbor and also Carroll's Sausage store has an over night FH campground right next door. 

You had me at Sausage Store.  That might be a bit further to drive, reference above ATL traffic comment, but I might be capable of the drive for a store dedicated to pork delicacies.