For once in a long time, I have some predictability in my summer schedules at work.  We already had 2019 locked up, but I'm looking at 2020 for a Florida trip and a few days at Disney in there as well.  We aren't Disney newbs, but we are Fort rookies.  The plan right now is towards the end of June 2020.  I'm shooting to check-in on a Sunday and check out on a Thursday.  

What day of the week is the best to check-in so you can get the dates/spot/etc you want?

I can't speak for summer as we will never go to Florida in the summer. For other times of the year the Fort tends to clear out from the weekenders on Sunday so it is a good day to arrive. For our trips we always stay from Sunday and check out on the following Friday and have never had a problem. I think the only time the Fort is really hard to get into is on weekends and around the various holidays.

I suggest you get in touch with our resident travel agent Jason from MouseCounselors. He is an active Fiend, great to work with and always willing to provide information about staying at the Fort or other WDW properties. His advert appears on the main forum screen and has contact information.

• 2 months later...

Alright, my reservations are booked.  Decided to check in on Sunday and check out on Saturday.  Have some time to smell the flowers.  I have plenty of time, but I can't help planning the trip down there.  KS to FL is a big trip.

Planning to stop near the KY/TN border off of I-24 on Day 1.  Northern GA off I-75 on Day 2. Then cruise into Disney mid-day SUN.  I have a few spots we'd like to stop along the way (Fort Donalson Natl Monument, Ocmulgee Natl Monument...kids love the NPS Jr Ranger Program).

We're not opposed to staying in a Wal-Mart, Cabela's, etc on the way down, but does anyone have any gem of campgrounds or attractions to break up the 19 hour drive for the kids?

Second question, after WDW we plan to head over to Cape Canaveral Seashore.  Any good tips for that area?

Thanks

21 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

We like to camp at this place.  https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Campground

You get to watch cruise ships coming and going.  The Disney ship often plays a song on their horn.

X-2  Great park, but hard to get reservations if you want full hook-up.  

I've stayed at Holiday Travel Park at Exit 1 in North Georgia before. Nice park, easy on, easy off. That is the only park I'm familiar with North of Atlanta.

If you want to get South of Atlanta the 2nd night, then I recommend the Forsyth KOA just South of Atlanta, or if you want to get even further South, there is Eagles Roost RV Resort at Exit 5 just North of the FL border.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I've stayed at Holiday Travel Park at Exit 1 in North Georgia before. Nice park, easy on, easy off. That is the only park I'm familiar with North of Atlanta.

If you want to get South of Atlanta the 2nd night, then I recommend the Forsyth KOA just South of Atlanta, or if you want to get even further South, there is Eagles Roost RV Resort at Exit 5 just North of the FL border.

Also Exit 350 in GA is a former KOA in Ringold just S of Chattanooga.  .

There are several options in Perry as well,  Fair Harbor and also Carroll's Sausage store has an over night FH campground right next door. 

On 8/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

We like to camp at this place.  https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Campground

You get to watch cruise ships coming and going.  The Disney ship often plays a song on their horn.

That park looks amazing.  The FHU isn't a necessity, especially since we'd be on FHU at FW for a week.  The beach access looks great.  Thanks!

On 8/7/2019 at 9:25 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I've stayed at Holiday Travel Park at Exit 1 in North Georgia before. Nice park, easy on, easy off. That is the only park I'm familiar with North of Atlanta

Looks like a great stopover. 

On 8/7/2019 at 9:25 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Based on what I plan for the day, I don't think ATL traffic later in the day are going to mesh with my vacation disposition.  

On 8/9/2019 at 9:56 AM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Also Exit 350 in GA is a former KOA in Ringold just S of Chattanooga.  .

There are several options in Perry as well,  Fair Harbor and also Carroll's Sausage store has an over night FH campground right next door. 

You had me at Sausage Store.  That might be a bit further to drive, reference above ATL traffic comment, but I might be capable of the drive for a store dedicated to pork delicacies.

• 3 months later...

After shoveling the drive for the fourth time today, I'm done with winter and ready to start thinking about my summer trip.  My ADR window opens on Christmas Eve.  I've been mulling around what I want to shoot for.  Not a WDW rookie, but a FW rookie.  Between my 3 other trips and studying the forum and other sites I've narrowed a list.  Unfortunately a lot of reviews I've found are months or years old.  Here's what I've been mulling around:

-For sure we're hitting HDDR.

-Also going to Trail's End (I know it's not a ADR joint).  If you had to chose one meal would you choose breakfast, brunch, or the lunch/dinner spread?

-Any visceral reactions to:

o Coral Reef?

o San Angel Inn?

o Be Our Guest?

-Any other favorites at World Showcase?

Thanks in advance for any recent experiences.

Jack

13 minutes ago, Part-Time Paradise said:

-Also going to Trail's End (I know it's not a ADR joint).  If you had to chose one meal would you choose breakfast, brunch, or the lunch/dinner spread?

o Coral Reef?

o San Angel Inn?

o Be Our Guest?

Jack

We enjoyed  both Coral Reef and San Angel Inn, not impressed with BOG and it was noisy.  As to Trail's End it's all good, just depends on your schedule. Also look at Via Napoli.

1 minute ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Trail's End is an ADR.   We enjoyed  both Coral Reef and San Angel Inn, not impressed with BOG and it was noisy.  

Thanks.   I don't know what made me think it wasn't an ADR place.  Maybe after reading the 400th review online my comprehension slipped.

Good feedback on BOG.  No one really mentions that in their reviews.

11 hours ago, Part-Time Paradise said:

Thanks.   I don't know what made me think it wasn't an ADR place.  Maybe after reading the 400th review online my comprehension slipped.

Good feedback on BOG.  No one really mentions that in their reviews.

Last time we went to BOG (walk in lunch time) we noticed the the food portions got quite a bit smaller, weren't as good, and seemed to have gone up in $$ slightly.

Not a fun time.

14 hours ago, Part-Time Paradise said:

After shoveling the drive for the fourth time today, I'm done with winter and ready to start thinking about my summer trip.  My ADR window opens on Christmas Eve.  I've been mulling around what I want to shoot for.  Not a WDW rookie, but a FW rookie.  Between my 3 other trips and studying the forum and other sites I've narrowed a list.  Unfortunately a lot of reviews I've found are months or years old.  Here's what I've been mulling around:

o Coral Reef?

o San Angel Inn?

o Be Our Guest?

Jack

San Angel Inn was good.  I remember a nice shrimp cocktail, and overlooking the Three Caballeros ride is fun.  I prefer La Hacienda de San Angel,  outside the pyramid.  The 2 person grilled sampler was SO over the top good.  We got the one with beef, chicken and chorizo.  I thought I would like the beef the best, and it was really good, but I still dream about being able to find those little sausages again.  Everything about that meal was amazing to me.  The sides, the dessert,  the chicken was even better than the beef.

Also, I can't go to EPCOT without eating at least once at Nine Dragons.  I always get some sort of chicken dish, and have never been disappointed.  It's different than the usual Chinese food you get in the USA.  It's fresher somehow,  more snappy a flavor profile.  

I've never been to Coral Reef, and count me on the list who were not impressed by BOG.  Too noise, food sub par. 

Edited by ThemeParkCommando
Edited for actual response
9 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

San Angel Inn was good.  I remember a nice shrimp cocktail, and overlooking the Three Caballeros ride is fun.  I prefer La Hacienda de San Angel,  outside the pyramid.  The 2 person grilled sampler was SO over the top good.  We got the one with beef, chicken and chorizo.  I thought I would like the beef the best, and it was really good, but I still dream about being able to find those little sausages again.  Everything about that meal was amazing to me.  The sides, the dessert,  the chicken was even better than the beef.

Also, I can't go to EPCOT without eating at least once at Nine Dragons.  I always get some sort of chicken dish, and have never been disappointed.  It's different than the usual Chinese food you get in the USA.  It's fresher somehow,  more snappy a flavor profile.  

I've never been to Coral Reef, and count me on the list who were not impressed by BOG.  Too noise, food sub par. 

You're in TX and you can't find Chorizo?

Most little Hispanic stores and a lot of the major grocery stores sell them here in Tampa.

A couple more things to consider while you're making plans:

1. Be Our Guest has a fixed menu at dinner- at a high price point. The lunch menu is quick serve. The restaurant is beautiful and fun. Go there for lunch. It's a good deal when you consider the ambiance at lunch. 

2.  The big items on the buffet at dinner at Trail's End are the exact same fried chicken and ribs served at the HDDMR. You might not want to eat at both of those places on the same trip. 

Have you considered Biergarten at Epcot?  That's a Fiend favorite. 

TCD

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Last time we went to BOG (walk in lunch time) we noticed the the food portions got quite a bit smaller, weren't as good, and seemed to have gone up in $$ slightly.

Not a fun time.

Dinner at BOG is really good (at least it was last Mother's Day); much better than breakfast or lunch.  Noise is a real concern, wlthough we always ask to be seated in the Gallery and that is much quieter.

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Have you considered Biergarten at Epcot?  That's a Fiend favorite. 

TCD

I love the Biergarten.  We were at Epcot yesterday and I looked at the price and saw it was now $46 for lunch.  that seems really high to me.  Am I mis-remembering the previous price?  I thought it was around $35.

30 minutes ago, Travisma said:

You're in TX and you can't find Chorizo?

Most little Hispanic stores and a lot of the major grocery stores sell them here in Tampa.

There are two types of Chorizo. The Mexican style which is ground and cooked as crumbles and Spanish which is a hard cured sausage. We can get the Mexican style easily around here but the Spanish style is usually only found in specialty shops or the high end grocer.

Just now, keith_h said:

There are two types of Chorizo. The Mexican style which is ground and cooked as crumbles and Spanish which is a hard cured sausage. We can get the Mexican style easily around here but the Spanish style is usually only found in specialty shops or the high end grocer.

I've seen the little hard ones down here.

We usually leave on Saturday so what we like to do is get the trailer hooked up then park in the overflow lot. We will then take the bus back to Trails End for their brunch before we hit the road. Not only does it allow us to skip a lunch stop but it leaves the rest of our nights open to visit other restaurants.

3 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I love the Biergarten.  We were at Epcot yesterday and I looked at the price and saw it was now $46 for lunch.  that seems really high to me.  Am I mis-remembering the previous price?  I thought it was around $35.

You're remembering right- lunch used to be considerably cheaper than dinner. But Disney can't have that. And they do a great job at making it hard for guests to see the actual prices. 

TCD

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

You're remembering right- lunch used to be considerably cheaper than dinner. But Disney can't have that. And they do a great job at making it hard for guests to see the actual prices. 

TCD

I am being convinced that Disney is using high dining prices as a tool to show a value in the meal plans.  Some of the prices are getting out of hand.  Others remain somewhat reasonable in price; like Ale and Compass, Grand Floridian Cafe, Sebastian's, etc.

3 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I am being convinced that Disney is using high dining prices as a tool to show a value in the meal plans.  Some of the prices are getting out of hand.  Others remain somewhat reasonable in price; like Ale and Compass, Grand Floridian Cafe, Sebastian's, etc.

The second thing you here from a CM after hello is "Do you have a meal plan?".

I see so many posts on FB pages about people having unused credits and ending up using them on snacks or just plain losing them.

A friend used to get the meal plans for his family and also book the concierge levels at the resorts with all the "free" food, so they never used their credits up.

The dining plans probably make Disney a fortune.  They figure most familys won't use them up so it's pure profit on the unused credits.