Hope you all got your APs before today!! 6/18

WOW, unbelievable up to a $225 increase!

New Walt Disney World Annual Pass Price Increases Go Into Effect Today

With bookings for 2020 Walt Disney World vacation packages going on sale today, it seems Disney took some time to refresh Annual Pass pricing for the upcoming year…

That’s right, pass pricing increases are here! Check out the full breakdown of pricing, by pass:

Below you’ll see the Florida Resident price, followed by the Out-of-State price, if applicable (you can see previous pricing set earlier this year here😞

• Platinum Plus: $999 (previously $849) / $1,219 (previously $994)
  • Platinum: $899 (previously $749) / $1,119 (previously $894)
  • Gold: $699 (previously $609)
  • Silver: $519 (previously $479)
  • Theme Park Select: $439 (no price change)
  • Weekday Select: $349 (previously $319)
  • Epcot After 4: $309 (previously $289)
  • Water Parks: $139 (previously $130)
  • Water Parks After 2: $89 (previously $79)

So.... along these lines, has anyone recently attempted to do the price bridge on an AP from a discounted ticket? Recently as in, since they rejiggered the tickets to be date specific?

UT has a few tix that save you $85 off the gate price, which would certainly help now if you can still get the full value on an upgrade.

1 minute ago, DaveInTN said:

Would it make him feel better if you told him that Dolly increased the cost of annual passes as well?  They jumped $15, from $114 to $129.  

Busch and Seaworld (and I'm sure every other amusement park) have increased their passes and admissions prices.

But they are usually less to begin with and they don't jump as much.

We are still paying a little over $10 a month for our Sea World Platinum pass that is good for every Busch and Sea world park and water park in the country.

We've had them for 7 or 8 years and they haven't gone up a penny.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Busch and Seaworld (and I'm sure every other amusement park) have increased their passes and admissions prices.

But they are usually less to begin with and they don't jump as much.

With the exception of Universal, who's doing a darned good job keeping pace with WDW.  Of course they've also got Harry Potter and have added a boatload of new, big attractions in the last 5-10 years, with no signs of slowing down any time soon.

I was curious about something regarding these AP prices, so I dug back into the DIT Vaults to see how much AP prices have increased during the last Decade of a Million Schemes.  

The last time I purchased AP's was in 2009, exactly 10 years ago.  I paid $469 per AP that year.  Taking that $469 and running it through the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Inflation Calculator, results in an Inflation-Adjusted price of $557.  

The equivalent non-FL Resident AP today, the Platinum Pass, is $1,119.  

So, even accounting for inflation, the price of a WDW Annual Pass has more than doubled in the last 10 years.  

When I planned my family's last trip to the Fort late last year, I began really thinking about the ever increasing prices.  I thought about it when I priced out 1 day MK tickets that cost more than an entire season pass at other theme parks.  I certainly thought about it when I booked the Hoop De Doo and paid more on one meal than some families spend on a month of groceries.  Don't misread me...I'm not an anti-capitalist.  Disney is free to charge what the market will bear, and I support that.  But I have stopped viewing the world through Mickey shaped glasses.  For me, I'm out.  Even the thought of booking a Disney vacation right now makes me a bit queasy, like I'm willingly letting someone take advantage of me.

I guess our last trip to the Fort, was our last trip to the Fort.      

20 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

With the exception of Universal, who's doing a darned good job keeping pace with WDW.  Of course they've also got Harry Potter and have added a boatload of new, big attractions in the last 5-10 years, with no signs of slowing down any time soon.

Disney and Universal both have memorable characters to make an additional boatload of $$$ off of in merchandise.

You would think they could keep their gate prices down since they have lots of different income streams.

How many stuffed Shamus can Seaworld sell, and BG doesn't even have a mascot per say.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Disney and Universal both have memorable characters to make an additional boatload of $$$ off of in merchandise.

You would think they could keep their gate prices down since they have lots of different income streams.

Except higher gate prices help them keep the crowds down (ish) and the bottom line up, so as long as there are people willing to pay and the board of directors is happy....

#capitalism

29 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Except higher gate prices help them keep the crowds down (ish) and the bottom line up, so as long as there are people willing to pay and the board of directors is happy....

#capitalism

Haven't seen that yet, either in person or the yearly reports.

Guess they haven't hit the sweet spot yet to keep out the middle incomers and just cater to the Mommy Bloggers and big spenders! :P

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I was curious about something regarding these AP prices, so I dug back into the DIT Vaults to see how much AP prices have increased during the last Decade of a Million Schemes.  

The last time I purchased AP's was in 2009, exactly 10 years ago.  I paid $469 per AP that year.  Taking that $469 and running it through the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Inflation Calculator, results in an Inflation-Adjusted price of $557.  

The equivalent non-FL Resident AP today, the Platinum Pass, is $1,119.  

So, even accounting for inflation, the price of a WDW Annual Pass has more than doubled in the last 10 years.  

When I planned my family's last trip to the Fort late last year, I began really thinking about the ever increasing prices.  I thought about it when I priced out 1 day MK tickets that cost more than an entire season pass at other theme parks.  I certainly thought about it when I booked the Hoop De Doo and paid more on one meal than some families spend on a month of groceries.  Don't misread me...I'm not an anti-capitalist.  Disney is free to charge what the market will bear, and I support that.  But I have stopped viewing the world through Mickey shaped glasses.  For me, I'm out.  Even the thought of booking a Disney vacation right now makes me a bit queasy, like I'm willingly letting someone take advantage of me.

I guess our last trip to the Fort, was our last trip to the Fort.      

I can definitely understand how you feel. I look at what they charge and it's crazy. We bought AP's last month so we're good for a year. After that will see we have already cut back. We were getting 3 and 4 trips on our AP's  this time around it will only be 2 trips the one last month and 1 more right before they expire. After that will just see. I can't say we're done, but with what it cost I should say that. I will say it's hard to stop going when you have been a regular for 40 years.

This summer we are taking our first Fort trip without park tickets (replacing the roofs on two houses really puts a damper on one's fun money).  Our plan was to buy AP's next summer that would last into the 50th anniversary year - I am expecting some serious pushback from my DH on this plan following the price increase.  Am putting my "how do I justify the cost of a vacation brain?" into overdrive!

2 hours ago, kadancer said:

This summer we are taking our first Fort trip without park tickets (replacing the roofs on two houses really puts a damper on one's fun money).  Our plan was to buy AP's next summer that would last into the 50th anniversary year - I am expecting some serious pushback from my DH on this plan following the price increase.  Am putting my "how do I justify the cost of a vacation brain?" into overdrive!

We did Fort with no park tickets a couple of times, we enjoyed it.

We have been so many times in the last few years that a park day now for us is a couple hrs in the morning and maybe a few in the afternoon. On our last trip we barely did that. The crowds and wait times just don't do it for me. We hit some FP's then roll out. I told my wife on our last trip that I would not care if we did not even go to a park. Of course, the kids don't feel the same way. I really enjoy Fort time and visiting the resorts and DS.

These price increases are really getting out of hand. A $225 increase in 1 year is outrageous. I think the Disney bean counters are just throwing things out there to see if they stick. Obviously, there are enough people willing to pay. By the time 2021 rolls around I bet AP's will be pushing $1700.

I am going to do AP's again next year, but after that I am not so sure. I have 2 girls that will be needing cars soon. For what we spend per year on Disney I can pay cash for 2 fairly nice rides.

15 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

We have been so many times in the last few years that a park day now for us is a couple hrs in the morning and maybe a few in the afternoon. On our last trip we barely did that. The crowds and wait times just don't do it for me. We hit some FP's then roll out. I told my wife on our last trip that I would not care if we did not even go to a park. Of course, the kids don't feel the same way. I really enjoy Fort time and visiting the resorts and DS.

These price increases are really getting out of hand. A $225 increase in 1 year is outrageous. I think the Disney bean counters are just throwing things out there to see if they stick. Obviously, there are enough people willing to pay. By the time 2021 rolls around I bet AP's will be pushing $1700.

I am going to do AP's again next year, but after that I am not so sure. I have 2 girls that will be needing cars soon. For what we spend per year on Disney I can pay cash for 2 fairly nice rides.

See that right there is exactly how we (who love the Fort), need to think about it.  Our family can no longer (financially) continue with APs and staying at the Fort... but even if we could, you have to ask yourself when do you push sentimentality aside, sit down and really look at the numbers.

Crazy stuff.

9 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We did Fort with no park tickets a couple of times, we enjoyed it.

We are really looking forward to it.  Last summer we had days when we were scheduled for a park and were a bit "irritated" to have to come out of relaxation mode.  That is what made us decide to try it.

27 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

See that right there is exactly how we (who love the Fort), need to think about it.  Our family can no longer (financially) continue with APs and staying at the Fort... but even if we could, you have to ask yourself when do you push sentimentality aside, sit down and really look at the numbers.

Crazy stuff.

That's what we are going to have to do in the next couple of years.

I'm hoping to retire middle of next year, and that will cause my income to drop dramatically

Somehow that $Million plus dollars in my retirement account never got there due to the recession and a variety of other financial woes that messed with my account.

We like going to Disney, but are hating the crowds and more so the rude behavior of the people that go there (and a lot of Fort campers).

We will have to decide if investing that amount of $$ in a pass is still worth putting up with the crowds and if we can fit it in our budget.

We don't do a lot of rides, and if they take away Country Bear, that may be the last straw!

On a side note, it seems like camping overall has gotten $$$ at a lot of non government campgrounds.

They may have cheaper basic rates, but when you start adding in extra people and paying for some of the amenities the rates start looking like Fort prices